NEWD2 on 350N = Brick

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2  Next
ak4d7
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 19:46    Post subject: NEWD2 on 350N = Brick Reply with quote
i have a bricked 350n. My serial port is still untouched but the jtag port might be damaged. If i bricked my 350n by loading NEWD2 on it, did this corrupt the CFE?
Is it still recoverable using the serial console or does it absolutely need a JTAG to recover?
Sponsor
barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 19:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
what is wrong with the jtag port? How do you know something is wrong with it?

I've only used serial for data captures and erasing nvram. You however need to erase kernel also. I am unsure of how to go about that with serial. Someone will know.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 20:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
i used a soldering iron to try to remove the solder in the JTAG port and left it damaged so when i tried to detect it would not read the flash using JTAG.
ak4d7
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 20:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
If i loaded a new CFE through Serial, would I start to get response to pings so that i could TFTP dd-wrt?

I got a wrt350n CFE from the CFE collection topic.
hardwarewizard
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 20:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
ak4d7 wrote:
i used a soldering iron to try to remove the solder in the JTAG port and left it damaged so when i tried to detect it would not read the flash using JTAG.

post a pic of the damage if its just physical it may be able to be repaired
barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 20:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
ak4d7 wrote:
If i loaded a new CFE through Serial, would I start to get response to pings so that i could TFTP dd-wrt?

I got a wrt350n CFE from the CFE collection topic.

No.. The kernel would still be there. you must erase the kernel..

as asked by hww, post a pic of the area of the pcb.. clean it up with alcohol (carefully) 1st.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 20:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
sorry not very good quality
one is of the back of the Router port and one is of the front,
the back is the one i think has the most damage

image200908190004.jpg
 Description:
front
 Filesize:  23.89 KB
 Viewed:  13304 Time(s)

image200908190004.jpg

image200908190002.jpg
 Description:
back
 Filesize:  25.56 KB
 Viewed:  13304 Time(s)

image200908190002.jpg

Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 21:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
ak4d7 wrote:
If i loaded a new CFE through Serial,

Can't be done if the CFE is damaged, and doesn't need to be done if it isn't.

LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 21:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
bummer...

when you said that the flash isn't recognized with jtag, is the processor seen and not the flash?

I could fix it at least to the point of jtag to erase kernel & nvram.. maybe one time use.

Pins 2,4,6,8,10,12 are ground pins. You only need one. only pins 3,5,7,9 are used with unbuffered jtag.

Start ringing out those four pins with an ohm meter. You may find you only need to fix one.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 21:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
i think i could install a header and have the jtag work, again as long as the chips are not damaged
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 21:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
ak4d7 wrote:

It might look worse than it is....but since I am not a great solderer and don't want to make the same mistake...how the heck did it get damaged so badly? Did you use a gun or a pencil, and was it not hot enough?

LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 21:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
Removing factory solder is a bitch. lead free (required now for the most part), needs more heat.

I always ADD solder 1st, then use solder wick to remove it.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 21:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
i used a soldering pencil, solder was removed easily on one side of the port but not on the other side, no way my soldering iron would get hot enough. I guess its a diffrent solder on them because i used a 40w iron with a probe tool and it took alot of brute force to remove the solder from these holes. I am waiting for a Desoldering iron which i ordered and am waiting for more pin headers to attempt this again. I will post with success or failure on this again tommorow
ak4d7
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 21:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
barryware wrote:
bummer...

when you said that the flash isn't recognized with jtag, is the processor seen and not the flash?

I could fix it at least to the point of jtag to erase kernel & nvram.. maybe one time use.

Pins 2,4,6,8,10,12 are ground pins. You only need one. only pins 3,5,7,9 are used with unbuffered jtag.

Start ringing out those four pins with an ohm meter. You may find you only need to fix one.

I am going to take this into account when i am ready to try this again. I also have a parallel cable but i have not wired it using JTAG schematics yet. I was using a USBJTAG NT. It wasn't working sometimes it was detected then it wasn't, I don't think the processor was even recongnized since i didn't do a very good job soldering. I soldered a solderless adapter into the JTAG port, probably a bad idea but it seemed like the right thing to do at the time.
maybe i should try using solderless pins next time.
Mordak
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
I use one of these (Desolder sucker) on one side of the PCB and the the hot soldering iron on the other (PCB is upright loosely in a vice not clamped) just enough to hold it in place.

desolderer-sucker.jpg
 Description:
Desolder sucker bought at Radio Shack for about $10.00 US.
 Filesize:  14.84 KB
 Viewed:  13204 Time(s)

desolderer-sucker.jpg

ASUS AC3200
Linksys WRT32X
Linksys WRT3200 ACM
Goto page 1, 2  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: