Need help with Buffalo WHR-HP-G54 trasfer rate, High-Speed

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2  Next
track5
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 22:31    Post subject: Need help with Buffalo WHR-HP-G54 trasfer rate, High-Speed Reply with quote
Alright.

With this router, there's some form of "High-Speed Mode" supposedly, where the transfer rate is 125Mbps. I cannot seem to find out how to set the router to run at this speed with DD-WRT; in fact, I can't even get the router to run at 108Mbps. Is there an option that I'm not seeing, or is it that DD-WRT can only go as high as 54Mbps?

I'm running dd-wrt.v23 SP2 on the Buffalo WHR-HP-G54 router, and I looked in every menu for something that resembled a High-Speed mode, but I couldn't find anything. My Transmission Rate only goes up to 54Mbps; I'm under the impression that it doesn't go higher for anyone.

Do I really have to flash back to the factory firmware to get a rate higher than 54Mbps?

If this is the case, how do I flash the factory firmware back onto the router? I tried doing it the way I got DD-WRT on there (see: "tftp -i 192.168.11.1 PUT dd-wrt.v23_generic.bin." in DOS) but it didn't work...

Help? Please?
Sponsor
OpsCenter
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 9:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
To begin, it appears that wifi is always going to be (at most) 50% of the marketing spec, since send and receive use the same bandwidth. One also has to add in real IP overhead values, which somehow isn't used in manufacturers results.

Second, the marketing spec is going to be different than reality, since modern marketing believes one must always use the most "up to" number.

Up to 100% of my posts are up to 100% factual.
track5
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 10:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well, I realize that. My problem isn't with the internet speed, but the LAN speed. File transfers between my roommate and I with my pathetic old router were sadly faster than this, because it connected at 108Mbps, whereas this one is only connecting at 54Mpbs. I understand that these values aren't the actual connection speeds, but I have the proof that it's running slower just by trying to share files.

I really hope DD-WRT is able to conenct at at least 108Mbps...
Striker
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 12:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
Wireless > Advanced Settings > Afterburner, 17th option down.

However, the help files says "The default value is Off. This should only be used with WRT54GS Models and only in conjunction with other Linksys "GS" wireless clients that also support Linksys "Speedbooster" technology." However, the default value appears to actually be "Auto," so I don't really know how well it's going to work with the Buffalo, if at all.

Give it a try and let us know, if you want.
track5
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 14:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yeah, I tried the Afterburner as well, no luck.

Is anyone working at 108Mbps on DD-WRT?
insure_it
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 5:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have the same router and wondered the same thing....

Somewhere on the Buffalo website in really really really fine print it stated that acutual thouroput when connected at 125 is 33Mbps.

I guess its like when your boss gives you a 50 cent raise at work. After all is said and done its only 5 cents.

Oh yeah, not to mention the reason I shelled out my hard earned $40 for this router is the box had in BIG red letters MIMO! pshaw!

Man..I gotta read the fine print a little more often.

Other than that I really do like this router. It beats my Linksys and Netgear by far.

By the way all of my pcs usually connect at 125Mbps(33 actual) most of the time. The only time this make a difference is inside my LAN otherwise there isnt any difference with internet speed.

Internal amp. activated
operating @ 170mW(no heat problems for the past 4 months)
Converted Primestar Dish: range aprox. 2670 meters
track5
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 14:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
insure_it, are you using the factory firmware or DD-WRT?

Also, are you using Windows? What set me off on this problem was the little notification on my roommate's Windows XP Pro PC. In the little Windows bubble that pops up about wireless conenction status, it said "Connected to network at 54Mbps."
I saw that and was wondering where the 125 was. So I plugged in our old router, started it up, and sure enough, "Connected to network at 108Mbps."
Also, in the connection status window on the DD-WRT web GUI it also says under Wireless, "Rate - 54Mbps" on the Buffalo.

Bleh. I guess I'll just keep fiddling until I figure it out.
track5
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 1:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ok, now it's time for an update.

One of my questions have been answered: I found out how to flash the factory firmware on the router. Since I did, the file transfer rate has been a bit faster, but not too much. It's still showing 54Mbps status (WHY??) on my roommate's computer, though. So unless Buffalo reps can tell me what to do to get at least 108Mbps, I'm all for switching back to DD-WRT. It's a much better GUI than what Buffalo made.

I guess this elusive 125Mbps mode IS a crock.
hebeda
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 13:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
if you want speed, go for the magicbox routerboard, atheros minipci card and dd-wrt firmware and a atheros based client card in your pc .

with 5ghz (no turbomode) with magbicbox with DD-wrt and 5ghz windows client card (gigabyte GN-wlma-12 802.11abg card) i get around 41mbps throughput ....

30-33mbps is actually a speed i can archive with most 54mbps NICS and atheros based magicbox ap .... nothing special really and definatly not 125mbps Wink
rkloost
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 13:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
There are several high-speed standards:
Broadcom uses speedbooster (125)

Atheros AFAIK Super-G (108)

dd-wrt uses the 125 std which works fine with my ASUS WL-167G realtek 2500
chipset.

Regards,
Ruud

1xWRT54Gv2

In need of WRT54GS <= v3 EU/UK for firmware-debugging purposes. Buffalo's are welcome too! PM me if you have a spare one.
insure_it
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 14:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
track5 wrote:
insure_it, are you using the factory firmware or DD-WRT?

Also, are you using Windows? What set me off on this problem was the little notification on my roommate's Windows XP Pro PC. In the little Windows bubble that pops up about wireless conenction status, it said "Connected to network at 54Mbps."

Sorry it took me a while to get back to you. I think the reason I get 125Mbps is all of my pcs have Linksys 125Mbps w/ Speedbooster cards. Im running 3 XP pcs and 1 Linux box with a WHR HP G54 DD-WRT v23 sp2. In the advanced wireless menu if I set speedbooster to 'on' it wont work. I have to keep it set to auto.

Good luck!

Internal amp. activated
track5
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 15:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
That makes perfect sense, insure.

Ok, so I contacted Buffalo directly this morning. Verdict? The 125Mbps mode is only usable with 125Mbps-enabled cards; furthermore, it's more of a high-speed burst with a back-up connection of (fanfare please!) 54Mbps.

So all of this was in vain. It does not transmit at 108Mbps at all, that's why I could only get up to 54Mbps.

Thanks a bunch to everyone for helping out. These forums have proved themselves useful.
Very Happy
insure_it
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 20:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
track5 wrote:
That makes perfect sense, insure.

No problem.

track5 wrote:

Ok, so I contacted Buffalo directly this morning. Verdict? The 125Mbps mode is only usable with 125Mbps-enabled cards; furthermore, it's more of a high-speed burst with a back-up connection of (fanfare please!) 54Mbps.
Very Happy

FYI Their white paper actually states the back-up connection when connected at 125 is 33Mbps. However unless you transfer large files over your local network or host lan parties it wont make a difference with wan speed.

I guess with their math I could sell my 98 Mercury Sable listed as NASCAR ready! Laughing

Internal amp. activated
rkloost
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 21:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
Full speed will never be reached if using the 125 standard nor with the 108 standard.

Currently the neighbourhood is a little crowded... Need a way to suppress my neighbours networks

1xWRT54Gv2

In need of WRT54GS <= v3 EU/UK for firmware-debugging purposes. Buffalo's are welcome too! PM me if you have a spare one.
wayland
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 22:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
Remember HiFi with PMP rather than RMS.
If you have 100 watts Route Mean Square you are drawning a stright line through the upper 3/4 of the bulk of audio wave form. If you measure Peek Music Power you pick a point on a very sharp tall skinny spike of audio miles above the body of the audio. Hence 20watts RMS can equate to 1000 watts PMP.

What a rip off. But then you could tell how rubbish the audio gear was because the bigger the PMP figure the more crap the equipment.

I don't think the same is true of wireless gear. However with the 802.11g gear you can't equate wireless speed with CAT5 speed. 100Mbps of wired ethernet is loads faster than 125Mbps of 802.11g. However most shoppers don't appreciate this, nore do they appreciate that their Internet works just as well on 802.11b standard.

We can pull 6Mbits over a 802.11b connection provided it's close. However if you want to share it you need to bandwidth shape to about 4 or 5Mbits.

We pulled 18Mbits on a 54g connection between wrt54g running dd-wrt to a SAMBA server from a Windows 2000 PC.

As for Up to 8Mbits ADSL MAX, we actually managed to get 7.5Mbits on an 8Mbit max line. We have heard rumors of people getting 8Mbits but surveys suggest that many ISPs are only providing 512k for most people. But then compared to dialup any broadband is fast.

I think if you really need speed then use CAT5. If you can't then you need a proper 54Mbits wireless link costing £5000 that actually transmits 54Mbits.

Marketing lies, I hate them.

Regards,
Wayland.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: