WRT54GL v1.1 bricked?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2  Next
kompulsive
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:13    Post subject: WRT54GL v1.1 bricked? Reply with quote
In the wiki for the WRT54GL v1.1, it says to flash to the latest stock firmware the router before flashing to dd-wrt.v24_mini_generic.bin. I went into the web-GUI, loaded up the firmware, and flashed it. I waited until it said the flash was finished, unplugged the router for about a minute, and plugged it back in. After I plugged the router back in, I went to 192.168.1.1 and now it only loads up partially. The blue background shows up and some of the text does, but all of the icons fail to load. I have a bad feeling that I did not wait long enough after flashing the router before I unplugged it. When I ping the router, I consistently get replies of "TTL=64". I have tried to flash back to the stock firmware using TFTP, but have had no luck so far. I have read through the Peacock Thread and have followed the instructions to no avail and I cannot find more information about what to do when I'm getting "TTL=64" responses.

When I get home from work, I will post screenshots of what loads up when I go to 192.168.1.1. Any advice or am I gonna have to break out the soldering iron?
Sponsor
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 3:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
TTL=64 means that you have firmware on the router. Do a HARD reset, clear you browser cache/try a different browser, and if that doesn't work, follow the steps at note 11 of the peacock the tftp the firmware again.

timing is everyting with tftp.

LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
kompulsive
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have done a 30-30-30 about three or four times and hit 192.168.1.1 on different computers with the same result. When exactly am I supposed to try to hit 192.168.1.1 with tftp? Right when I start getting ping replies after power up? And yes, I've followed the Peacock Thread to the letter.
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 14:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
Get tftp set up and ready to go, plug in your router, count to 2, and hit upgrade. If that doesn't work, count to 2 and a half.

Repeat.

BW says for him, he can set it to 99 tries and walk away, and it will take on about the 20th try. I would also try that.

LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 14:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
Murrkf wrote:
Get tftp set up and ready to go, plug in your router, count to 2, and hit upgrade. If that doesn't work, count to 2 and a half.

Repeat.

BW says for him, he can set it to 99 tries and walk away, and it will take on about the 20th try. I would also try that.

Yep... 99 tries.. Launch the utility, THEN plug in the router (power). The flash will start somewhere between 13 - 20 errors.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 21:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for the help guys. I'll give it a try in a few hours, I'm getting rolled up at work right now.
kompulsive
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 22:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just to confirm, I should be using the Linksys stock firmware for this initial flash, correct?
barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 23:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
kompulsive wrote:
Just to confirm, I should be using the Linksys stock firmware for this initial flash, correct?

That is how I would do it.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 1:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
Bah! I got a "TTL=100" reply ONCE! I must have just missed it! (I'm assuming I need to hit the router with a connection RIGHT when that TTL=100 replies.) I was just doing hard resets and starting the flash attempt right before I plugged the power in. I can't figure out what I did different, if anything, to get the "TTL=100" when I did. Any ideas? I'm going to keep trying. This certainly is a frustrating little game, but this gives me a bit more hope.
kompulsive
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 2:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well, I got it to flash, followed all of the directions in the Peacock Thread, did a hard reset, went to 192.168.1.1, logged in, and blah. Same problem. The background loads properly, the text fields are there, and some of the icons load. I'm beginning to think this is a problem with the firmware. I downloaded the stock firmware that the Linksys site guided me to, so I'm not sure why this is happening. I've added a screenshot so you can see what I'm talking about. It was taken on my netbook, hence the size. I'm going to try to flash dd-wrt.v24_mini_generic.bin to the router now and see if I have any luck.

...this is weird.

fail.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  53.44 KB
 Viewed:  9682 Time(s)

fail.png

kompulsive
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 2:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
/me facepalms

Uh...I'm embarrassed to say this, but somehow I flashed it with the latest stock firmware for the WRT54G, not the WRT54GL! I'm downloading the correct firmware as we speak and will flash it right away. I feel like an idiot. Anyhow, I'll report back.

...yeah...my bad...fml.
kompulsive
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 3:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
Flashed with the correct stock firmware and the problem persists. I'm going back to the plan of trying to flash to dd-wrt.v24_mini_generic.bin.

This is starting to get really annoying.
kompulsive
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 3:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well, I was able to hit the router when it was giving "TTL=100," but it really isn't liking mini. It won't flash. I'm going to try micro now and I'm not sure what steps to take if that doesn't work. Should I try to find an older version of the stock firmware?
Wizzer
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 3:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have this same problem. Nothing has worked thus far.
kompulsive
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 4:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
I got the router back to giving me TTL=64, did a hard reset, and hit it with the micro firmware as soon as I got a TTL=100 response. Unfortunately, it just keeps spamming TTL=100 now and the upgrades keep failing. It gives me those TTL responses, yet it won't take the flash, I don't get it. This is too strange. I'm going to try hitting it with Tomato in a moment. If that doesn't work, I'm going to try to hunt down the stock firmware that the router came with. If I can't find it on the web, I hope it is included on the disc that came with the router.
Goto page 1, 2  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: