Best WNDR3300 configuration?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2
zragnarok
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 22:11    Post subject: Re: solved Reply with quote
i thought that was normal

most of us were having issues sustaining even 30mbps over 802.11n

thequickone wrote:
bloodyblubb wrote:
the issue u are talking about is to be solved.
(Had the same problems before).

First: I got the Intel 4965 agn card -
and the wndr3300 - running dd-wrt Firmware: DD-WRT v24-sp2 (03/13/09) mini by EKO.

The Channel settings dont work - its always 38 - on 5ghz - here the proof of 270. it doesnt drop! (had win xp before, it didnt drop there either) now its win 7

I have the same devices (WDNR3300 & 4965AGN), and have not been able to SUSTAIN a 270Mbps connection. My WNDR3300 is running firmware "dd-wrt.v24-12030_NEWD_mini_wndr3300" (4/30/09), and my 4965AGN has Intel driver version 12.4.0.21 (4/9/09). I checked my configuration against yours, and all details match.

When I first establish a wireless connection, the "Wireless Network Connection Status" page (Windows XP) reports a speed of 270.0Mbps. It remains 270.0Mbps until a load is put on the connection (any significant network / internet activity), after which the connection drops to 135.0Mbps, then alternates between 121.0Mbps, 135.0Mbps, and 162.0Mbps. While an internet process is underway, i.e. large download or speed test, the connection tends to "seek" a speed of exactly 135.0Mbps. Also, once the connection speed drops from 270.0Mbps to 135.0Mbps, it never returns to 270.0Mbps, and will only reach 162.0Mbps when idle.

Please verify that your connection does not do the same. Do this by keeping your connection status window open, then run a speed test at http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/ and see if your connection remains stable at 270.0Mbps or drops to 135.0Mbps. I hope it does not drop, as that would mean I could tinker some more and accomplish the same. Thanks!
Sponsor
thequickone
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 15:09    Post subject: Re: solved Reply with quote
zragnarok wrote:
i thought that was normal

most of us were having issues sustaining even 30mbps over 802.11n

Just a guess: Without a "Fat Channel" (two or more channels "bonded" to create an effective 40MHz channel) connection, the 4965AGN will be limited to a 54Mbps speed connection. As Intel has published, the 4965AGN only supports "channel bonding" using channels in the 5GHz band, which can bond channels to create at least 12 fat channels. However, the 4965AGN does not support channel bonding in the 2.4GHz band, which can only bond into three fat channels. Were fat channels used in the 2.4GHz band, this would result in siginificant interference with other channels in the 2.4GHz band.

According to my recent experience, as well as limited research, the 5GHz band is prone to significant signal degredation with what would otherwise be minor interference on the 2.4GHz band. Therefore, if you are using a 5GHz connection, and are limited by configuration to 54Mbps, I would expect minor interference to reduce the connection speed to about 30Mbps or lower, as you and others have experienced.

Using Intel's stock drivers, I do not believe the 4965AGN will support a connection faster than 54Mbps on the 2.4GHz band, as "channel bonding" is required for higher bandwidth connections. That being said, if you are using the WNDR3300's antenna "wl1", which is strictly a 2.4GHz antenna, or are using antenna "wl0" in a mode other than "NA-Only", to broadcast your 802.11N wireless network, I suspect your speed will be limited to 54Mbps.

One other note; way back when (a couple days ago) I was still on Netgear stock firmware (1.0.29), I noticed that disabling the Quality of Service (QoS) feature reduced the connection speed with the 4965AGN from 135Mbps to 54Mbps. The build of DD-WRT I am running now (dd-wrt.v24-12030_NEWD_mini_wndr3300) does not have this limitation, and will establish a connection of at least 135Mbps using the DD-WRT configuration referenced by bloodyblubb a few posts ago.
Zider
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 14:25    Post subject: Re: solved Reply with quote
I'm also having problems getting decent speeds with wndr3300 and intel 4965agn, I have fiddled with pretty much all the settings I have found, including the examples earlier in this thread, but I still only get ~2,7MB/sec. With original firmware I could easily get ~9MB/sec, so I know the hardware is working properly at least. Could it be that dd-wrt doesn't use all the antennas or something like that?

Running dd-wrt.v24-12307_NEWD_std-nokaid.bin
Skydiver
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 15:03    Post subject: Re: solved Reply with quote
Zider wrote:
I'm also having problems getting decent speeds with wndr3300 and intel 4965agn, I have fiddled with pretty much all the settings I have found, including the examples earlier in this thread, but I still only get ~2,7MB/sec. With original firmware I could easily get ~9MB/sec, so I know the hardware is working properly at least. Could it be that dd-wrt doesn't use all the antennas or something like that?

I think the 4965 AGN only supports 20mhz on 2.4GHZ.
The newer intel 5xxx cards will do that at 40mhz (widechannel).
You have to try this on the 5GHZ band.

DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 15:11    Post subject: Re: solved Reply with quote
Skydiver wrote:
Zider wrote:

I've tried both 2,4 and 5GHz, 20MHz and 40MHz, different channels, frame burst on/off, bluetooth coexistance on/off, different transmitter power levels, QoS on/off..anything I can think of basically. I still get 3,3MB/sec tops (I remembered 2,7MB/sec wrong)
thequickone
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 3:24    Post subject: Intel vs. Channel Bonding Reply with quote
Skydiver wrote:

Based on Intel's published statement regarding the matter, and my knowledge of the 4965AGN, you are correct.

http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/sb/CS-025343.htm

Last edited by thequickone on Fri Jun 19, 2009 6:05; edited 1 time in total
thequickone
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 6:00    Post subject: WNDR3300 & 4965AGN - 270 Mbps Connection Speed - Really! Reply with quote
First and foremost, let me issue a formal apology to bloodyblubb. I am sorry. I should not have doubted you, or the success you had with your WNDR330 and 4965AGN connection.

bloodyblubb wrote:
"I upload the screenshots to let u know the configuration to use to get 270mbit/s - got them all time Smile"

"here the proof of 270. it doesnt drop!"

Now let me build on the foundation bloodyblubb established regarding the matter.

As you can tell from my signature below, I have a couple Netgear WNDR3300 routers, one of which is running the latest DD-WRT Eko SVN. I also have an Intel 4965AGN mini-PCI wireless adapter. After quite a struggle with both router and adapter configurations, and with the aid of bloodyblubb's example, I have finally managed to establish a wireless-N connection that is stable speeds between 162 and 270 Mbps between the two. No joke! Here's how I did it:

4965AGN Setup:
First, make sure your 4965AGN has the most recent Intel drivers (I have v12.4.0.21). Also, make sure you install DRIVERS-ONLY, not Intel's "PROSet/Wireless WiFi Connection Utility". If you are not using Windows' built-in "Zero Configuration" wireless connection manager, there is little hope of any of this working. The specific configuration I am using, customizable on the "Advanced" tab (with Intel logo) of the "Intel Wireless WiFi Link 4965AGN Properties" window (Device Manager), is as follows:

1. Power Management: Highest
2. Roaming Aggressiveness: Lowest (this will stop intermittent disconnects / reconnect dead in their tracks! 5GHz band can be more prone to these...)
3. Throughput Enhancement: Enabled
4. ALL other settings: Intel default (some cannot be changed anyway!)

My 4965AGN's "Hardware Version" is listed as "0.1.40" on this tab, if that makes a difference...

WNDR3300 Setup:
Please note: 30/30/30 Reset BEFORE AND AFTER any Firmware Upgrade. If you are unwilling to do this, or simply think your way of doing things is better than several other extremely knowledgeable members of this community, STOP READING RIGHT HERE! I was not a believer myself, until I tried it and it cleared up my compatibility and stability problems! Also, make sure you are doing it right. Sounds simple, but it is easy to make a mistake (don't let the reset button pop out, even for a second, between the three 30-second steps). I guess a clear NVRAM is a good NVRAM!

Immediately following a Firmware Upgrade, make the following configuration changes to DD-WRT (a 30/30/30 Reset and "Restore Factory Defaults" if you do not want to or cannot upgrade, may also work):
1. "Wireless" > "Basic Settings"
"Wireless Physical Interface wl0":
Wireless Network Mode - NA-Only
Wireless Network Name (SSID) - Any (your choice or default)
Wireless Channel - 36 - 5.180 GHz
Channel Width - 40 MHz
Wide Channel - upper
All other options default.

"Save" and "Apply Settings". You will have to do this several times to have all of these settings become available and remain saved for wl0, which I imagine should be considered a bug...

"Wireless Physical Interface wl1":
Wireless Network Mode - Mixed
Wireless Network Name (SSID) - Any (your choice or default, but different from your NA-Only SSID - I use "-N" and "-G" modifiers at the end of my SSIDs; i.e. "Network-N" and "Network-G".)
Wireless Channel - Auto

"Save" and "Apply Settings".

2. "Wireless" > "Wireless Security"
Wireless Security wl0 AND wl1 (you will use EXACTLY THE SAME settings for both - I cannot stress this importantly enough):
Security Mode - WPA2 Personal
WPA Algorithms - AES
WPA Shared Key - Any (your choice), but MUST BE THE SAME KEY for both wl0 and wl1

"Save" and "Apply Settings".

Please note: If you are unwilling to or "cannot" use WPA2 Personal with AES encryption on your networks for BOTH wl0 and wl1, my experience tells me you will not be able to connect at up to 270 Mbps. I have no idea why this should make a difference, but it does!

I also find it helpful to "Save" and "Apply Settings" on the "Setup" > "Basic Setup" page, as this forces the router to reboot. I am not sure if this is required...

You should now be connected at some speed between 162 and 270 Mbps between your WNDR3300 and 4965AGN (visible in Windows' "Wireless Network Connection Status" window, not DD-WRT "Status" pages). The connection should also stabilize at speeds closer to or exactly at 270 Mbps with increased network traffic; i.e. during an online speedtest. However, your connection should NEVER drop to or stabilize at exactly 135.0 Mbps. If it does, something is wrong, and your connection is not using a 40 MHz-wide channel. 30/30/30 Reset, "Restore Factory Defaults", and try again.

Sorry for being so long-winded. Hope this helps! Wink

DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 17:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
This helped me. I was not seeing any 5Ghz channels on my 3300 until I changed channel width to 40Mhz. Thanks!
JLPicard
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 15:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
First, I want to give a BIG THANK YOU to the people that contributed to this thread. I just registered to this forum only to thank the guys here for helping me with my problem. Although I am not currently using DD-WRT firmware, I found this thread looking to solve my draft-N connection woes.

For the past two days I've been trying to achieve N speeds using an Intel 4965AGN WiFi Link adapter paired with Netgear WNDR3300 wireless router using NetGear firmware 1.0.29NA. I've been going crazy trying to do so and was unable to achieve any speeds past 54Mbps. In desperation, I was starting to take my notebook computer apart hoping to find out the Mini PciE Intel card and replace it with something that works.

I was FINALLY able to get it to work at 130 and 270 Mbps. The trick was enabling QoS AND WMM. It seems that the WNDR3300 WILL NOT work past 54 Mbps if those two settings are not enabled. Big Kudos to thegreatone for pointing that out, and preventing me from disassembling the rest of my notebook PC.

I am attaching a file that shows the speeds/benchmarking I'have done for different settings on the router and wireless card. It might be useful for comparison purposes. I haven't been able to achieve 270 Mbps at 2.4 Ghz, only at 5 Ghz. Also, the speed difference between 130 and 270 Mbps in real life tests is marginal. I would say that 270 gives me at the most a 10% increase in file transfer speed compared to 130 Mbps. In any case I 've been unable to even remotely approach Fast Ethernet speeds.

Thank you for all your comments and feedback.

Net-Benchmarks.xls
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Net-Benchmarks.xls
 Filesize:  21 KB
 Downloaded:  1467 Time(s)

bbb_forever
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 17:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
From WNDR3300 Connection and Performance Q&A:
http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1215

Make sure to upgrade your wireless client driver to latest version to avoid 11N compatibility issues.
• For Intel 345ABG (Please upgrade to v11.5.0.32) or latest available
• For Intel 4965AGN (Please upgrade to v11.5.0.32) or latest available
• WNDA3100 (Please upgrade to v1.2) or latest available at http://kbserver.netgear.com/products/WNDA3100.asp

-----------------------------------------------------------
How do you connect a dual band adapter to WNDR3300?

The WNDR3300 Dual band router will have 2 SSIDs, “NETGEAR-DualBand-N” (5GHz) and “NETGEAR-2.4-G” (2.4GHz) that you can connect to. If you have a dual band wireless adapter, it will see both the 2.4 GHz and 5GHz frequencies but can only connect to one frequency band at a time. It is strongly recommended that you connect to the “NETGEAR-DualBand-N” SSID (5GHz) if you have a dual band client. If you have G-only or 2.4 GHz devices such as an older 802.11g notebooks, or WiFi phones, they will only connect to the “NETGEAR-2.4-G” (2.4GHz) SSID.

My wireless connection intermittently gets dropped when connected to the WNDR3300. What can I do?

Please log in to the router configuration page (ex: 192.168.1.1 or www.routerlogin.net). Go to Advanced Wireless Settings, and make sure to Preamble Mode is set to “Long Preamble”. Apply the settings EVEN IF it is set to Long preamble already. This action will change the preamble setting from “Auto” to “Long” automatically.

How can I improve my signal strength on the WNDR3300?

In a relatively clean environment where you have no other wireless access points in the neighborhood with more than 50% signal strength, 2.4 GHz 802.11n radio may give better range than 5 GHz 802.11n radio when using 11N dual band client. If you are not getting enough range with the current default setting:

1. Set router to 20 MHz 2.4 GHz N mode or “Up to 130 Mbps at 2.4 GHz” mode under Wireless Settings menu in the WNDR3300 router configuration page.
2. If there are several other networks nearby, the 5GHz 802.11n default setting will avoid interference and give you better connection. The 5GHz band has slightly less coverage than 2.4 GHz band, but 5 GHz frequency works best when there are a lot of other interferences such as cordless phones, microwave oven, or Bluetooth handsets are in operation in your home.
3. For EMI limitation, 5N radio high channel (ex. 149) has better range than low channel (ex. 36). Hence, under Wireless Settings on router configuration page, select the highest possible frequency on your router.
4. It is recommended you have two SSIDs on the WNDR3300. By default the SSIDs are NETGEAR-DualBand-N and NETGEAR-2.4-G.
5. It is strongly recommended to use WPA2 (AES) mode or None security mode. Avoid using WEP and WPA (TKIP) mode as these security options will result in lower performance. When using WPA+WPA2 mixed security mode, select WPA2 (AES) on adapter utility manually.

I have a 2.4GHz 802.11n adapter but why am I only getting 54 Mbps when connected to WNDR3300?

Check the Wireless mode set on your WNDR3300 configuration page. If it is set to “Up to 270 Mbps at 5GHz & 54 Mbps at 2.4GHz”, the maximum rate you can connect is 54 Mbps. Change the mode to “Up to 270 Mbps at 2.4 GHz” on your router to let your wireless adapter connect at higher rates.

My routers:
- 1 Linksys E3000
- 4 Linksys E2000
- 4 Linksys WRT320n [DD-WRT svn13575 std-nokaid] working well in WDS setup, 5Ghz N-speeds only.
- 2 Airlink AR670W [DD-WRT build 14537] working well in WDS setup, 2.4Ghz N-speeds only.
- 2 Netgear WDNR3300 [DD-WRT svn13577 std-nokaid] working well in AP-Repeater-Bridge setup, 5Ghz N-speeds only.
- Airlink AR325W G-router and Belkin F5D7230-4 v1444 [DD-WRT v23 sp2 micro] working well in Repeater-Bridge setup, G-speeds only.
- D-Link DI-614+ B-router, sitting around, wanna buy it?

Recent fixes timeline:
http://svn.dd-wrt.com:8000/dd-wrt/timeline?from=01%2F11%2F2010&daysback=30&changeset=on&update=Update

Linksys 320n Path: Downloads › others › eko › V24-K26 › svn13575

Airlink AR670W Path: Downloads › others › eko › BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2 › 12-28-09-r13525 › airlink101-ar670w
minghi
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 15:53    Post subject: excellent excel sheet Reply with quote
very useful excel sheet.

I see that the best network file transfer speeds are around 7MBps... wonder how much better the asus rt-n16 is
JLPicard
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:34    Post subject: Re: excellent excel sheet Reply with quote
minghi wrote:
very useful excel sheet.

I see that the best network file transfer speeds are around 7MBps... wonder how much better the asus rt-n16 is

Not much better. But you get Gigabit Ethernet, which, depending on conditions (right cable mostly) is a HUGE improvement.

Find attached updated Excel sheet. I would like to point out that wireless tests were conducted 2-3 feet away from wireless router. I use these benchmarks as an estimation of top real world performance and is not an indication of wireless range and consequent speed degradation.

Wireless-Benchmarks.xls
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Wireless-Benchmarks.xls
 Filesize:  26 KB
 Downloaded:  993 Time(s)

Goto page Previous  1, 2 Display posts from previous:    Page 2 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: