Couple of questions about WDS.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Wicked2000
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 20:24    Post subject: Couple of questions about WDS. Reply with quote
Hi all.

I just started to work in a place that I need to maintain its network. The company that installed the network used Edimax routers in WDS mode.

The network works fine but they want me to add more routers to increase the wireless area. I want to buy the WRT54GL routers. But there is something that I really don't understand about this network.

1.When you enter the Edimax's interface. the setup is AP Bridge-WDS to all the routers . And the Mac adresses that need to be there.
But there is another button. Security.

That gives a window that let me enable Wep security only to the WDS and the company enabled it (I have the key). The wireless network in the office is not secure not with Wep or WPA (they want it like that). Searching for a wireless network gives the SSID not secured (Perfect like that.)
The problem is that I can't connect other routers that don't have this feature. Firmware update didn't helped. And the latest DD's firmware doesn't give this option too.
Do I really need this option enable? I can access the wireless router via the unsecure network if I give myself the IP that is different from what the DHCP gives.
I don't see any reason why to leave it enable? It doesn't give anything. Because the wireless network is open to everyone and they have access to the netwrok and the routers if they will give the IP for the router. (Changed the password to secure one.)
Does it give more protection or something if the WDS is secured with Wep?

2.There are 2 routers (Edimax of course) that they are near each other and each one has his own antana and it transmits to another direction. The routers connected to each other with a crossover cable. With WDS enable to both of them to talk to each other but if they are connected via a crossover cable the need to be in another channel. Why?
If I want to add another router that will get his signal from the router that has the different channel do I need to give the channel that the all the network works with or do I need to give the channel of the router that has the different channel.

Thanks a lot guys!!!!
Sponsor
grenouille
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 16:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
Your network setup is absolutely not clear. Describe it briefly and clearly to get help. Are all wireless devices under your control? where's the internet uplink? how many different wireless networks (combination of SSID/channel/encryption) do you have?

If two APs on different channels are connected by a cable this means that two physically different wireless networks are connected to each other. This may be wanted. With WDS, you will always extend the network with the same SSID and channel.

Good luck!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: