Asus WL-500W bricked: all LAN and WAN leds stay lit

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
akker
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 21:36    Post subject: Asus WL-500W bricked: all LAN and WAN leds stay lit Reply with quote
Hi!

I got Asus WL-500W. So I started to put DD-WRT on it.
Used http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Installation#Asus_WL500Wand files linked in there (including dd-wrt.v24-11650_NEWD_mini_asus.trx and dd-wrt.v24-11650_NEWD_mega.bin).

At first all was good until I was almost finishing OpenVPN configuration. After next restart, router didn't come up. It started rebooting continuously. Pinging it gave result ttl=100 sometimes 1, sometimes up to 4 results. Putting it into "Restore Mode" was successful only without lan cables. When i connected lan-cable, the restore mode was no more.

So after deep digging in forums and consideration, I opened up the router and did pin9 trick. Everything worked as a charm. I was successfully able to put router into "Resore Mode" and flash it from beginning:
* wl500g-clear-nvram.trx
* wl500g-recover.trx
* dd-wrt.v24-11650_NEWD_mini_asus.trx
* dd-wrt.v24-11650_NEWD_mega.bin
I got it up and running.

So now I did some more reading in forums and decided to use newer build, because I thought previous failure was related to earlier firmware.
Now .. I downloaded dd-wrt.v24-12220_NEWD_mini_asus.trx and dd-wrt.v24-12220_NEWD_mega.bin.
Started to do all over again: clear-nvram, recover and after uploading dd-wrt.v24-12220_NEWD_mini_asus.trx, waited couple of minutes and plugged out router.
After plugging it in again, all LAN leds and WAN leds lit instantly up and stayed that way.
So now I think i'm in deep s.... or am I?
Does anybody had router in that mode and got it up and running again?

Or is the Eko/donation only way to go?
Sponsor
PIKETEAM
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 22:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
debrick wl-500w ??? look here ---> http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=44375&highlight=
akker
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:31    Post subject: been there, done that Reply with quote
I managed to unbrick it once already (check first post).
first time router lit all leds for a fraction of a second and started to boot, but rebooted in 1-4 seconds and responded to couple of pings with ttl=100
now it just lits up leds and thats it.
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 13:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
If you have no ttl responses, the only way to possibly unbrick it without pin shorting is to use a serial connector. This is discussed in pocks post linked to in the wiki install for this particular router.
LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
akker
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 13:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
what do you mean by "pin shorting"?
i did try shorting pin-9 to ground on first time and it worked...

now it does not work ...

is there any other pin(s) to short?
akker
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 7:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
so basically i'm in a pile of shit?
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
Murrkf wrote:
If you have no ttl responses, the only way to possibly unbrick it without pin shorting is to use a serial connector. This is discussed in pocks post linked to in the wiki install for this particular router.

LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
Knasher
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 12:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sorry to resurect an old thread. But for future people who stumble unto this, I had a similar problem, and on the advice of this thread: http://wl500g.info/showthread.php?p=149679 I replaced my power supply with a 5v 4A one from maplin. It now works like a treat.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: