Problems de-bricking WRT350N

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Ezekial
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:56    Post subject: Problems de-bricking WRT350N Reply with quote
Ok folks... I would really appreciate some help so I don't have a $170 paperweight.

I flashed my WRT350N right out of the box with v.24 1-09-2007. Worked fine, did the VPN upgrade, again worked fine. Had it going for nearly a week. Changed my router password during the week. For the first time in years I forgot the fucking password I changed it too. So I did a reset on the unit (had done it once during configuration, no problems) and the unit would just not come back up (properly respond to pings @ default IP and of course no webpage).

I tried to TFTP to it... the stock 7.8mb Linksys firmware will not load, and always fail (suspect it's because of the large size). I get this with both the Linksys TFTP program and a generic command line one.

I can, however, flash with one of the ~3-4mb DD-WRT bin files just fine. Both will complete successfully. Thing is though, the power light never stops flashing. After pulling the power, waiting a minute, and pluggin it back in... same results as before the "flash". Comes up, gets maybe 2-4 pings in, and goes away again.

I've been messing with it for hours and nothing has changed.
Stock linksys always fails
as long as the TFTP is timed right, the DDWRT .bin files (have tried the mini & VPN) always finish successful.
I have also had it on both 10baseT half, adn 1000 full with no differences.

I would greatly appreciate some help!!!!!!!!!
Thanks
Sponsor
Ezekial
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 2:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'd also like to note 2 things

If I do a sucesfull firmware load with the TFTP + DDRWT firmware, then I will still get continous pings after the program reports a succesful load. The power light remains flashing as well, never stops... and the unit never reboots.

If I do it with the stock linksys firmware, it fails, reboots, and goes into the unresponive mode. It will reboot later on, get a couple pings, and then stop responding again.

:edit
also if I power it up, just to test it out and see if it works.
This normally is what happens.
power light blinks for a few seconds, then the lan light comes on (1 connected device), power light stops blinking... then the unit "reboots" repeats the light on/off/blinking as noted above... sits there for a while (couple minutes) and repeats the process.
Ezekial
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 15:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
bump
Ezekial
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 23:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
bump

back at home from work
trying again... seeking some help still Smile
malves
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 8:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ezekial wrote:
bump

back at home from work
trying again... seeking some help still Smile

If you continuosly hold the reset in while unplugging and replugging in the power holding it over 30s it should reset back to defaults. Bear in mind that if you just hit the reset and let go quickly the device goes into a TFTP mode for short few minutes and you can flash it.

Ezekial
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 14:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
malves wrote:
If you continuosly hold the reset in while unplugging and replugging in the power holding it over 30s it should reset back to defaults. Bear in mind that if you just hit the reset and let go quickly the device goes into a TFTP mode for short few minutes and you can flash it.

hmm
so what your saying is... while it's on, just hit the rest and it goes into TFTP mode?
I believe I have tried this during my trial/error but can't be 100% positive.

my results from last night where similar
I never got the stock firmware to take. It always fails at what appears to be between 50-75% through. Then the power light flashes and it sits there like a bump on a log (not pingable any longer)... also the connected client on the switch, no longer has a light showing connectivity.
If I use a DDWRT flash, it goes through successfully, remains pingable, but never reboots and won't ever boot DDWRT even after a power off or poweroff/reset or poweroff/hardreset.
BrainSlayer
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 16:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
the bootloader of the WRT350N crashes anytime i try to tftp something on it. the only way i found out for debricking was using a serial console and loading everything manually from the bootloader itself

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 17:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
BrainSlayer wrote:
the bootloader of the WRT350N crashes anytime i try to tftp something on it. the only way i found out for debricking was using a serial console and loading everything manually from the bootloader itself

oh snap

being a n00b to the hacked router world (only done 2 WRT54G in WDS, and used an old Netgear til recently) I don't have much experience.
I was kinda wondering if this might be the case for this model though..

REALLY appreciate the feedback, even if it isn't what I want to hear.

I guess I need to start looking for how to make this serial console cable and get it hooked up.
I'd appreciate some links if you or anyone else have any, I have been unable to find much of anything for this specific model.

thanks again Smile
keep up the good work BTW Smile
adisor19
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 18:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ezekial wrote:
BrainSlayer wrote:

oh snap

being a n00b to the hacked router world (only done 2 WRT54G in WDS, and used an old Netgear til recently) I don't have much experience.
I was kinda wondering if this might be the case for this model though..

REALLY appreciate the feedback, even if it isn't what I want to hear.

I guess I need to start looking for how to make this serial console cable and get it hooked up.
I'd appreciate some links if you or anyone else have any, I have been unable to find much of anything for this specific model.

thanks again Smile
keep up the good work BTW Smile

Heh, if you're gonna crak open that router, do you mind taking a few picture for us of its insides ? :)

Thanks,

Adi
Ezekial
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 3:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
adisor19 wrote:

Heh, if you're gonna crak open that router, do you mind taking a few picture for us of its insides ? :)

Thanks,

Adi

there are a couple threads with pics... not the best, but a few.
if I crack this open, I will provide high resolution pics for ya'll

back to this serial cable...
I will begin some research on this soon.
but would like some good links/advice/tips if you got em :)

sorry if this is something been discussed a 100 times....

mainlly I am looking ot find out is this something that already exists on the board? meaning there are already pins coming off the board and I just make a cable to connect in.... or is this going to require soldering to some locations on the board? (tiny connections or easy) and then how do I connect in to flash.

very little resources on this specific unit, so I am not real sure how much the WRT54G and others are similar in documentation

greatly appreciate the help anyone can offer
thx Smile
divisionbyzorro
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 14:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
I realize I'm pulling up a really old thread, but I'm hoping that the OP will respond and let me know if he ever found a solution...this is *exactly* what's going wrong with my WRT350N.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=301052
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: