My Home setup questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
stephensuley
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 16:07    Post subject: My Home setup questions Reply with quote
This is my setup for Internet access at my cottage. It services 4 homes from a single ISP using 5 dd-wrt routers. See the attached picture below.

Currenty I have two 310n plugged into a switch that connects them both to the Motorola Canopy 900MHz ISP connection. They are running as AP's on seperate channels 300ft apart.

I Then have a 610n (wl0) connecting to on eof the 310n AP as a client bridge. This client bridge is hardwired to the WAN port of a another 610n running as an AP to extend the wireless network.

Finally have a single 610n in repeater mode about 400Ft away from the 610n AP.

Questions are;

-What do you think of this design? I have no problems thus far. Any ideas to make it faster\better?

-Can I setup the 610n ClientBridge use both 310n AP in a failover configuration?

-What would WDS be like in my enviroment? Would it be a good solution?

-I'm currently not using the 5GHz radios at all in my enviroment. Any ideas how I could use the 5GHz band in my enviroment to make it even better?

-Due to the distances I'm working with over my WLAN the 5GHz band doesn't have the range needed to make it operate faster then the 2.4GHz radio. Any thoughts on this?

Cottage setup.JPG
 Description:
my cottage setup
 Filesize:  236.84 KB
 Viewed:  3717 Time(s)

Cottage setup.JPG

Latest and greatest builds Wink
Sponsor
stephensuley
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 22:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
bump...

anyone wanna help?

Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 23:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'd love to help. I need more information. The primary question, for me, is do you actually want all of the network computer, at all locations, to be able to interact and see each other's files?
LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
stephensuley
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 23:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
Murrkf wrote:
I'd love to help. I need more information. The primary question, for me, is do you actually want all of the network computer, at all locations, to be able to interact and see each other's files?

It doesn't have to, if theres a cost. currently I would be happy having the 610n-01 device pictured above using both the 310n APs in a failover WAN setup.

Can you help with that?

Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 0:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
I think, if you mean failover = it will connect to whichever has the best signal, you will want autoap mode on both routers, which I am not a big fan of.

Why did you put the one router in repeater mode? Not necessarilly a bad thing, but I am curious as to what you want to achieve.

You have to indicate how you want the clients to interact. It is not that one way is better than another, but what your goal is should determine the means. Can't evaluate without criteria.

So, what do you want these client to be able to do.

The primary reason for putting clients on different subnets is for security.

LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: