Cascading router security

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
smakandler
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 6:15    Post subject: Cascading router security Reply with quote
Hey guys I am moving up to college tomorrow and I have bought a Linksys WRT54GL router for my desktop and laptop. It is going to be hooked up on the schools network so I am going to be using it as a switch basically. What I want to do is be able to share my files on my network, but only have certain MAC address (mine) be able to view anything on plugged into the router. Is there a way I can set up this kind of security so only my computers can access anything connected to my router (so that when I am wirelessly connected to the schools WAP's for example I can still access stuff on my desktop but nobody else connected to the schools network can)?

Thanks in advance,
Joe

btw, right now I am using the linksys firmware but I will switch over if I should/need to.
Sponsor
smakandler
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 5:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
nobody??
rkramer
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 16:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
if their security is truly 1 mac per port, just get a cheap switch or disable routing entirely.

or set up a ssh or pptp vpn dialup on your desktop to use for remote access with the laptop, and let the wrt do its thing and NAT your network.

want to have some fun with college network administrators... plug one of your LAN ports into your neighbors network port and leave dhcp turned on for awhile... they LOVE when you do that!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: