Interesting new firmware

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
BrainSlayer
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 20:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
and this firmware is not dealing fair. all selfmade tools are binary only and without gpl source. this firmware is not fully gpl and opensource but dd-wrt is
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 8:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
cyberde wrote:
Well there must be something wrong with my tomato (lol).
It doesn't matter what bandwith I enter, even with 1000kbs it still downloads at a steady 630Kb/s (which is about 5mbit)

So this means QoS doesn't even work... I'll try a full reset tomorrow (just in case) and try again. DD-WRT is still my nr1 firmware Very Happy

From Tomato Readme:

Quote:
Although there is an option to limit the download speed, it's not really recommended in most cases. The only thing the router can do once it already has the data is to drop it, which means the data will need to be re-sent again over a slow Internet link.
cyberde
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 10:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
BrainSlayer wrote:
and this firmware is not dealing fair. all selfmade tools are binary only and without gpl source. this firmware is not fully gpl and opensource but dd-wrt is

Yes DD-WRT still kicks butt, when is a new v24 beta planned, and does it contain new features? Rolling Eyes

Donater
kkgo
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
BrainSlayer wrote:

The only thing I can see that's not included is rstats. Are there others?

I've always wondered about this... Does anyone know if an entire firmware is considered GPL or just the individual packages?

If you browse through the source code (of any WRT firmware), a lot of them are licensed differently. Most are GPL, but some are MIT, some Berkley, some like CyberTAN's rc even says not to redistribute, and some like Broadcom's wl are closed. If it is supposed to be all GPL, I wonder if the firmware is really legal?
cyberde
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 16:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
BigL wrote:
From Tomato Readme: ...

Yes I know that, but the speed should decrease if I try to limit it. And that just doesn't happen, so it looks like it ain't working.

Donater
jon
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 18:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
BrainSlayer wrote:

I've been reading this thread for a while and I wasn't sure if I should really say anything here, but I think I should clarify a few things now...

The GUI, that is the web pages, not httpd, is off limits - true. It's original work, so I think setting my own license is within my rights. Still, the source for the GUI is all there.

Do I care if average Joe customizes it for his own use? No. Enjoy!
Do I care if Sveasoft copies my work and sells it? Yes. *$&# off!

rstats.c - Yes, that's missing. I'll take care of that in the next release and put it under GPL (original work).

Some of the source that you may think are missing are probably not there because they were never used on a release. For example, you may see references to SL. Source for that wasn't included because I've never released a single SL binary. They were only used for my own experiments (unfinished). None of these should affect building the normal firmware. If there's something I missed however, you only have to let me know.

The rest of my work have been released under their original license if they're modifications or if built along with something else, or GPL if they're my own work and are standalone.

The firmware itself is free. It's not shareware, crippleware or adware. There is no special version. What you get is the full firmware - no strings attached.

If you still think I'm doing something "unfair," then please let me know. I'd like to correct it. You can also email me if you have other concerns.

For the record, I think DD-WRT is a great product. I've recommended it numerous times in the past and still do. I know that there are a lot of tasks that are more suited for DD-WRT. Tomato wasn't made to compete directly against it.

Just wanted to clarify... Smile
cyberde
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 18:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
jon wrote:

I must say you've done a fine job. What if you join the DD-WRT development Rolling Eyes ? And create even more better firmware?
Or am I typing bugus ? Razz

Donater
beesfan
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 1:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
I blelieve source for the latest version of Tomato is available at:

http://www.polarcloud.com/tomato
D.D.
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 1:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
This software is really really nice. I've been using it over DD-WRT for a week and it feels faster overall. Not to mention the QOS works better it seems.
GeeTek
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 4:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
BrainSlayer wrote:

So, just what in the FUCK has BrainSlayer been smoking lately ??

http://69.175.13.131:8015 Streaming Week-End Disco. Station Ripper V 1.1 will do.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 0:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ok, I'll throw one more project into the mix...

Soon we will announce the first milestone of our new webif for OpenWrt. If its graphs you like, it has CPU usge and bandwidth graphs (svg) amongst a host of other things. For some screenshots, see here:

http://www.bitsum.com/smf/index.php?topic=267.0

You can install alpha versions right now, though I am not going to recommend everyone do so. It still has a LONG way to go before its ready for final release. But, it sure is a giant leap forward from the existing OpenWrt webif already.

We are always looking for developers, we're hosted at Berlios, join #x-wrt on freenode for info.

And. yes, our new webif^2 for OpenWrt *IS* open source and can be modified in any way by any one, for sale or not for sale. It will be used in OpenWrt White Russian RC6 and has already been imported by FreeWrt. Much work remains though, no doubt about it. Turning OpenWrt into a firmware firendly for end users has been a large job, but it will be worth it.

On the discussion between tomato and dd-wrt, we all need to be cooperating, not fighting against one another.

If we are all doing this for the good of the community, isn't it a good thing when someone advances the technology?

Kudos to tomato, it looks very nice.

Last edited by on Sun Oct 01, 2006 0:35; edited 1 time in total
mazilo
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 1:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
BrainSlayer wrote:
this firmware is not fully gpl and opensource but dd-wrt is

I just downloaded a copy of Tomato v0.05.7 source code and here is the excerpt of the README that surprised me that it expects the Linksys firmware source code:
Tomato v0.05.7 README wrote:
I can't really provide any support for this, but here's a quick guide to start you off:

- You need Linksys' source code:

ftp://ftp.linksys.com/opensourcecode/wrt54gl/4.30.7-US/WRT54GL-US_v4.30.7.tgz
(180MB)

- Extract Linksys' source, then remove the following:

busybox cron dnsmasq httpd iproute2 iptables ipupdate lib libnet libpcap
mipsel-uclibc misc nas netconf ntpclient nvram others rc ses shared
traceroute udhcpd upnp utils www

- Extract tomato_source.tar on top of the Linksys source.

- Create a symlink in /opt/brcm to <dir>/tools/brcm.

- Add the following to your PATH:

/opt/brcm/hndtools-mipsel-uclibc/bin
/opt/brcm/hndtools-mipsel-linux/bin

- For the curious, comments with zzz, jz, or tofu are mine (Jon). Comments with
honor, kanki, tallest are devs from Broadcom, CyberTAN or Linksys (I can't
tell which is from which though...).

DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 4:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
Not directed at anyone in particular... These kind of nitpicking stuff is why I've started to hate contributing to open source and making free software. You're already giving your time, effort and the product for free and you're still going to get criticized for not doing more. You definetely need a thick skin to do this.
md
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 16:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
BrainSlayer wrote:

sour grapes, are you jealous of the qos and svg?
and it's gpl just as well - only there's no commercial version, unlike dd-wrt
some modesty and less badmouthing...
rkloost
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 16:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
md wrote:
BrainSlayer wrote:

sour grapes, are you jealous of the qos and svg?
and it's gpl just as well - only there's no commercial version, unlike dd-wrt
some modesty and less badmouthing...

Sorry, but there are indeed missing some sources in TomatoSource_0_07.7z
For the nice thingies only the binaries are packed.

Regards,
Ruud

1xWRT54Gv2

In need of WRT54GS <= v3 EU/UK for firmware-debugging purposes. Buffalo's are welcome too! PM me if you have a spare one.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 5 of 7
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: