Hotspot@Home still work?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
libertyspike138
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:13    Post subject: Hotspot@Home still work? Reply with quote
I live in a rural area where I can't get any service on my cell phone so I ordered the T-Mobile WRT54G-TM hotspot@home router by linksys. The cell phone service now works great with the router. I have seen that there is a mega dd-wrt for this router but here is my question. If I flash to dd-wrt will my cell phone still work over this router the same way as it does now? One more question, if dd-wrt does not work as well for this purpose is it easy to go back to stock linksys firmware? Thanks for your time!
Sponsor
kruegs
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 15:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
I can confirm that I am using DD-WRT on my WRT54G-TM and can still place a UMA call with my T-Mobile Blackberry.
barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 15:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
You will not be able to easily go back to the stock firmware after installing dd-wrt.

You can, but it will require jtag.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 23:11    Post subject: Thanks! Reply with quote
Thanks for getting back so soon, Cheers!
spoch
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
How about the @home hiport adapter (the wired router)? I just ordered one and was wondering if I could load dd-wrt. Thanks much.
kruegs
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
No dice for DD-WRT support on the Hi Port Router, which is the Linksys WRTU54G-TM. The only T-Mobile "branded" router with support is the WRT54G-TM.
libertyspike138
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 16:07    Post subject: The difference? Reply with quote
Ok so if the UMA still works after DD-WRT then what is the real difference between the TM version and any other DD-WRT capable router? Is there specialized hardware that runs no matter what? etc..?
kruegs
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 16:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
Correct, you can place a UMA call over ANY wireless router so long as you have the SSID and password entered into your cell phone. Doesn't matter what brand, configuration, firmware etc. is on the router. T-Mobile *I believe* will still charge you minutes though regardless of how the call is placed unless you subscribe to their "Unlimited Hot Spot" service ($9.99 per month).

In essence the only benefit then if you do not subscribe to the service is if you are at home or another place where traditional cell coverage is spotty and you have access to a WiFi router, you can use UMA. I do this with a Blackberry at my house everyday.

Hope this helps.
jomcty
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 16:35    Post subject: Re: The difference? Reply with quote
libertyspike138 wrote:
Ok so if the UMA still works after DD-WRT then what is the real difference between the TM version and any other DD-WRT capable router? Is there specialized hardware that runs no matter what? etc..?

Reportedly, the TM version has the Wireless MultiMedia (WMM) with QoS for UMA priority and additional power savings (battery life) due to the WMM.

Since DD-WRT has this too once enabled, there is no inherent difference.

I have a WRT-54GS running v24 mega with the WMM extensions enabled and our UMA-enabled BlackBerries work great over it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: