Best Configuration

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
aggie98bb
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:47    Post subject: Best Configuration Reply with quote
Howdy and thanks in advance!

I have a 3800HGV-B Gateway (ATT Uverse) with a media PC directly connected. I have a WRT54GS running DD-WRT v24RC2 connected via HPNA with a ClarkConnect fileserver and numerous wireless laptops connected to the WRT54GS.

I would like to know what network setup I should have so that the all PCs on the network will be able to share files. The main reason I am wanting to use the WRT54GS is that the UVERSE gateway does not allow me to override the DNS server entries passed on to clients and I want to use OpenDNS as my DNS servers. In addition, I want to use the file server as a Web and OpenVPN server.

I have tried using the WRT as a repeater bridge with DHCP Forwarding, which allows all of the PCs to communicate, openvpn, and web connections, but does not allow me to override the DNS servers.

Currently, I have the 3800 setup with a 172.16.0.0 subnet and the WRT54GS with the 192.168.1.0 network. This configuration allows all of the workstations the right DNS entries, but does not allow the media PC to communicate with the file server. Communicate with the media PC from the PCs behind the WRT works.

Thanks agian,
aggie98
Sponsor
freonchill
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
those 2wire devices - always hiding stuff
there is a way to change it, but you have to manually enter the webpage address to get to the right page to configure "advanced" things like the DNS

try going to the u-verse hardware webpage and go to /management
you said its 172.16.0.0, so its 172.16.0.1 for the device? then its http://172.16.0.1/management

advanced / DNS Resolve
plug and go

1x WRT54G2 v1
2x BUFFALO WHR-G54S
2x BUFFALO WHR-G300N v2
1x BUFFLOW WHR-HP-G300N
1x La Fonera
FON Client Bridge tutorial
aggie98bb
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 14:34    Post subject: Re: Best Configuration Reply with quote
freonchill wrote:
those 2wire devices - always hiding stuff
there is a way to change it, but you have to manually enter the webpage address to get to the right page to configure "advanced" things like the DNS

try going to the u-verse hardware webpage and go to /management
you said its 172.16.0.0, so its 172.16.0.1 for the device? then its http://172.16.0.1/management

advanced / DNS Resolve
plug and go

Freonchill,
Thanks for the information, but I had already checked the MDC(management) page. A recent upgrade remove the DNS Resolve from the menu list under advance.

aggie98
freonchill
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 15:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
they REMOVED IT!?

talk about AWESOME

/end sarcasm

1x WRT54G2 v1
2x BUFFALO WHR-G54S
2x BUFFALO WHR-G300N v2
1x BUFFLOW WHR-HP-G300N
1x La Fonera
FON Client Bridge tutorial
wunderkind
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 23:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
freonchill wrote:
they REMOVED IT!?

talk about AWESOME

/end sarcasm

Not surprised the removed it. I worked for their tech support and they didn't officially support that feature among others and discouraged even the people who knew what they were doing from helping with those "unsupported" settings to make the support experience homogenous from one agent to another. They also do not support using a router so don't expect a lot of help from them. The following is direct form 2Wire's website.
---
Please refer to the technical support telephone number printed on your product documentation and/or packaging. By using this specific phone number, we are able to provide you with more specific assistance. If you are unable to locate that telephone number, support is available online at 2Wire.com or by calling 480.567.7021 (Monday - Friday) 6:00 AM PST to 6:00 PM PST.

You may also find more detailed support information on your DSL provider's Website.

Buffalo WHR-HP-G54
SVN revision 17084M NEWD Eko STD-NoKaid

Asus RT-N16
SVN revision 16994 K26 Eko Mega Enhanced with OTWR

How to get dd-wrt help
aggie98bb
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 23:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ok, so I have been searching around for several weeks trying to figure out how I could use OpenDNS at the router level and still maintain communication between all of my workstations. My network setup is kind of odd in that I have a media PC connected directly to the RG and a file server in another room connected via the ethernet port on the back of the STB. I tried using several configurations by placing the DD-WRT/WRT54GS in the DMZ, using DHCP forwarding, and creating a separate subnet, but every one eliminated the ability for the media PC to access the file server. Ultimately, what I did was disable DHCP on the RG and connected the WRT54GS as a client and set it up to assign DHCP. So far everything is working like I want it.

Detailed instructions:

In Lan->Advanced in the RG http://192.168.1.254/xslt
Select Configure Manually
Set Router Address to 192.168.1.254
Set Subnet Mask to 255.255.255.0
Uncheck Enable DHCP
Click Save

In the DD-WRT/WRT54GS:
Connect the router to the RG via the LAN port. Do not use the WAN port on the router.

Under the Basic Setup:
Under WAN Connection Type select Automatic Configuration (It doesn't really matter)
Set the Local IP Address to 192.168.1.1
Set the subnet mask to 255.255.255.0
Set the gateway to 192.168.1.254 (RG IP Address set above)
Set the DHCP Type to DHCP Server
Enable DHCP Server
Set the Start IP Address to 192.168.1.100
Set Static DNS 1 to 208.67.222.222 (OpenDNS Server)
Set Static DNS 2 to 208.67.220.200 (OpenDNS Server)
Set Static DNS 3 to 192.168.1.254 (This should force special ATT requests to the correct IP.)
Check Use DNSMASQ for DHCP
Check DNSMasq forDNS
Check DHCP-Authoritative
Click Save
Under Services
Click Enable DNSMasq
Click Disable Local DNS
Add the text "strict-order" to the additional DNSMasq Operations
Click Apply Settings

After the router has finished booting, reboot all of the STBs and perform a release/renew of the PCs and you should be set.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: