Netgear WNR834Bv2 - is it supported?

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 37, 38, 39 ... 70, 71, 72  Next
sparkie
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 18:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
208 wrote:
OK, I'm stuck! Anything else I might be able to try?

The ritual sacrifice of a chicken?

If you're positive you've got the jtag on there right, and are issuing the probeonly command or some other command before it locks then the only thing left is power, and since you've tried another adapter, without seeing the actual unit, i'm out of ideas for you Sad

DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 18:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
Appreciate all your help! I'll play around with it for a little while longer before it hits the can.
sparkie
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 18:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
208 wrote:
Appreciate all your help! I'll play around with it for a little while longer before it hits the can.

If you're in the states you can mail it to me.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 18:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sparkie, Check your PM
pswartz
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 23:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
I need to flash this back to a Netgear firmware so I can return it to the store -- no fault on the Netgear or dd-wrt, am just using pfSense instead.
I downloaded wnr834bv2_1_0_22_na.bin, but when I try to "upgrade" it fails.
Not sure how to get it back to original firmware.
If I had the extra $60, I'd just keep it instead of my older Linksys WRT54Gv6, but alas...
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Patrick
sparkie
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 0:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
pswartz wrote:
I need to flash this back to a Netgear firmware so I can return it to the store -- no fault on the Netgear or dd-wrt, am just using pfSense instead.
I downloaded wnr834bv2_1_0_22_na.bin, but when I try to "upgrade" it fails.
Not sure how to get it back to original firmware.
If I had the extra $60, I'd just keep it instead of my older Linksys WRT54Gv6, but alas...
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Patrick

The firmware is far too old to flash back to. Look at the link in my signature, and grab the binpack. It will have the proper firmware in it.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thank you!! That did the trick. I apologize for not seeing that earlier.
Patrick
Almaz
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've been always using mini bin but I was wondering what's the difference between NEWD_mini.bin vs NEWD_std.bin? Is it safe to use std bin with WNR834B v2?
zaneshew
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've been always using NEWD_std.bin without problem. Mine is WNR834B v1

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
which image I should use for a newer build? there is not .bin file with the name of WNR834Bv2 in it , beside the .chk one.
Vamp
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
208 wrote:
Tried to debrick mine. After flashing custom section still could not ping router. I flashed the cfe backup and now all the led's are lit up except the power led. jtag says flash chip is not recognized. Any suggestions?

I had my wnr834b_v2 bricked.
What i did:
1. open a router
2. open a window and start ping -t 192.168.1.1
3. open another window and prepare tftp comand ( you have to use netgear .bin file. don't use dd-wrt it will not work).
4. use a small screwdriver to short pin 16 to 17 on the mx flash chip.
5. plug the power. You will see the power light blinking. when this, take off the screwdriver. You will see a constant ttl-100.
6. Start tftp
After that if you want to use ww-wrt firmware, use first the .chk, because you router is back to original netgear firmware.
Works for me and now i have my router alive and running ww-wrt
litemotiv
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 17:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi guys,

I'm a little confused which .chk file to use for the initial flash, the wiki says:

Download the mini version of DD-WRT version 24, build 9856
dd-wrt.v24-9856_NEWD_mini_wnr834bv2.chk

Though the supported hardware page says:

Netgear WNR834Bv2 Firmware: Special file for initial flashing via WEB
dd-wrt.v24_std-wnr834bv2.chk

I've tried the latter but it bricked my router, is this just bad luck or is the file mentioned on the hardware page incorrect and should i be using the wiki file instead?

edit: nevermind, i just read through the entire topic and am now a lot wiser. i think i'll just skip another flash for now as i'm seeing way too many jtag customers, plus the main reason i wanted to flash was to vlan the wan port which isn't supported anyway. Wink
stupots
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
litemotiv wrote:
I'm a little confused which .chk file to use for the initial flash

Just to clarify, on v2 hardware, I use dd-wrt.v24-9856_NEWD_mini_wnr834bv2.chk for the initial flash and then dd-wrt.v24-10431_NEWD_std.bin for the subsequent image and it has worked every single time. Both of these files are attached to this thread previously.

I tried the instructions on the beta router database and it failed, and gave me a flashing green power LED. I simply recovered this by plugging my laptop in the LAN, setting the IP address to 192.168.1.5/24 and TFTPing an official Netgear .chk file.

Regards,
Stuart
sparkie
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 20:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
stupots wrote:
litemotiv wrote:
I'm a little confused which .chk file to use for the initial flash

Just to clarify, on v2 hardware, I use dd-wrt.v24-9856_NEWD_mini_wnr834bv2.chk for the initial flash and then dd-wrt.v24-10431_NEWD_std.bin for the subsequent image and it has worked every single time. Both of these files are attached to this thread previously.

I tried the instructions on the beta router database and it failed, and gave me a flashing green power LED. I simply recovered this by plugging my laptop in the LAN, setting the IP address to 192.168.1.5/24 and TFTPing an official Netgear .chk file.

Regards,
Stuart

I use Eko's 10000's builds for the WNR834Bv2

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 2:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
i seem to have semi-bricked my wnr834bv2. perhaps someone can help me get it working again?

i was trying to load dd-wrt.v24-11536_NEWD_mini_wnr834bv2.chk and it seemed to load successfully but the router never came back up.

when it boots up i see about 15 ping answers with TTL=100 but then they stop. all of my attempts to tftp a stock netgear image have failed.

the TTL=100 pings return while the power led is orange but then for a short while both the orange and green leds are on and then finally the power led is bright green. the blue wifi led is not particularly bright and i never see it change brightness.

is the best way to proceed at this point to open up the router and try to short pins 16 and 17? i would try that first before going the jtag route because i don't know how to solder.

thanks for any help.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 37, 38, 39 ... 70, 71, 72  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 38 of 72
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: