DDNS auto update feature

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
jdog006
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 4:35    Post subject: DDNS auto update feature Reply with quote
I have DDNS set as dynamic even though my IP doesn't ever change. Maybe I should set it as static. Anyway, DDNS doesn't seem to auto update my dyndns account because my IP never changes. But my dyndns account requires an update periodically or my account will be deleted. I suppose I could write a script but a setting in the DDNS tab to set a time interval for updating DDNS even if the IP hasn't changed would be helpful. Just a suggestion. In fact it is the only suggestion I have to improve DD-wrt.
Sponsor
bill_mcgonigle
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 20:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
This is being discussed in the bug tracker. Please add your support there.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 20:30    Post subject: Re: DDNS auto update feature Reply with quote
jdog006 wrote:
I have DDNS ... because my IP never changes. But my dyndns account requires an update periodically

You have to define a Service for Static IP on dyndns.org, that never must be updated.

DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 21:05    Post subject: Re: DDNS auto update feature Reply with quote
HWS wrote:
You have to define a Service for Static IP on dyndns.org, that never must be updated.

Yeah, that works if his address is guaranteed to never change. Which is different than 'almost never changes' which is where DD-WRT has a shortcoming.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 7:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
It doesn't update because your current IP is still the same as the one registered at DynDNS.

Also after x ammount of days, the dynamic accounts will be deleted. That's why I have a Static "domain" set instead of Dynamic.

And DD-WRT only updates it when the IP is different as the one registered.

Donater
bill_mcgonigle
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 17:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
cyberde wrote:
It doesn't update because your current IP is still the same as the one registered at DynDNS.

Right.

cyberde wrote:
Also after x ammount of days, the dynamic accounts will be deleted. That's why I have a Static "domain" set instead of Dynamic.

Which doesn't work for people who have addresses which change occasionally but not frequently.

cyberde wrote:
And DD-WRT only updates it when the IP is different as the one registered.

Right, that's the problem. It's supposed to update once between 24 and 30 days if the address doesn't change to keep the account active. The timestamp of the last update is in the cache file, so a daily cronjob or boot script would be pretty easy and could handle this pretty effectively.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 18:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'v found this script.

dejab http://forum.bsr-clan.de/viewtopic.php?p=36621#36621 wrote:
Code:
sleep 15
echo "PATH=/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin" > /tmp/crontab
echo "*/5 * * * * root /tmp/ipupdate" >/etc/cron.d/ipupdate
/usr/bin/killall cron
/usr/sbin/cron
echo 0.0.0.0 > /tmp/.ipfile
echo "old_ip=\$(/bin/cat /tmp/.ipfile)
con_var=\"wan_ipaddr\"
con_type=\$(/usr/sbin/nvram get wan_proto)
if [ \$con_type = \"pptp\" ]; then
   con_var="pptp_get_ip"
elif  [ \$con_type = \"l2tp\" ]; then
   con_var="l2tp_get_ip"
fi
current_ip=\$(/usr/sbin/nvram get \$con_var)
if [ \$current_ip != \$old_ip ]; then
wget -q \"http://  YOUR URL TO UPDATE YOUR SITE HERE   \"
echo \"\$current_ip\">/tmp/.ipfile
fi
exit 0" > /tmp/ipupdate
chmod 755 /tmp/ipupdate

After some changes by an script developer, better than me, it was that what you need
bill_mcgonigle
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 18:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
HWS wrote:
I'v found this script

Thanks for researching this. That script appears to update one's IP address within 5 minutes of a change by doing a dynamic dns IP update.

The problem this thread is addressing is when the IP address doesn't change, but the DynDNS record is due to expire. This particular script doesn't appear to account for that instance.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 18:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
bill_mcgonigle wrote:
Thanks for researching this. That script appears to update one's IP address within 5 minutes of a change by doing a dynamic dns IP update.

Your translation I don't need. I understand this script very well without your help.

Make a better one !
bill_mcgonigle
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 18:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
HWS wrote:
Your translation I don't need. I understand this script very well without your help. Make a better one !

OK, fine, I just assumed that since you posted it here you felt it was relevant to this thread. I guess I misunderstood "it was that what you need".

I'll try to get a working script done soon.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 10:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
bill_mcgonigle wrote:
cyberde wrote:

Which doesn't work for people who have addresses which change occasionally but not frequently.

Yes it does.

The "static" IP accounts at DynDNS.org can be updated just as often as the dynamic accounts. The difference is that the changes take slightly longer to propogate through the DNS system (several hours versus several minutes for the Dynamic accounts).

I've used a static account for ages, and my IP has changed perhaps three or four times with no problems. I've never noticed the slightly longer propogation time.

The dynamic accounts are really meant for people whose IP changes very frequently, e.g. everyday.
jdog006
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 4:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for all the replies. I really shouldn't have said "never changes" because my address might change once or twice a year. I took the advice and converted my dynamic acct to a static acct. Dyndns posts a warning that most routers can not properly update static accounts so I guess we'll see how well it works.

The script posted in this thread would not solve my particular problem.

Seeing the dyndns warning against using static accounts if they are updated by a router will be enough to deter most people (even if it does work). I still think adding a set time to update regardless of IP adress status would be a feature that would be helpful if it were added into the firmware.
tievolu
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 9:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
jdog006 wrote:
Thanks for all the replies. I really shouldn't have said "never changes" because my address might change once or twice a year. I took the advice and converted my dynamic acct to a static acct. Dyndns posts a warning that most routers can not properly update static accounts so I guess we'll see how well it works.

It's worked perfectly for me for ages with DD-WRT. I'm currently using v23 SP1 Final.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: