QoS per user ? Possible ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
gaganwalia
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 6:32    Post subject: QoS per user ? Possible ? Reply with quote
Is there a way to setup QoS on the WAN side on a per user basis. I want to have the full bandwidth on the LAN / WLAN side, so local traffic is not throttled. But I want to have QoS on the WAN side so when local users access the Internet, they get limited bandwidth.

But right now what i have noticed is that when I use QoS on the WAN port to lets say 50%, then all the users will share that 50% and the rest of the 50% is wasted (unused)

example: There should be a way to lest say give 4 users 64kbps on a 256 kbps line. so now when all 4 users are online they get 64kbps and the whole 356 kbps is also utilized. something along those lines!

Hope someone can help me on this.

Thanks
Sponsor
gaganwalia
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 14:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
is there anyone who can help me with the above problem
dellsweig
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 16:02    Post subject: Re: QoS per user ? Possible ? Reply with quote
gaganwalia wrote:
Is there a way to setup QoS on the WAN side on a per user basis. I want to have the full bandwidth on the LAN / WLAN side, so local traffic is not throttled. But I want to have QoS on the WAN side so when local users access the Internet, they get limited bandwidth.

But right now what i have noticed is that when I use QoS on the WAN port to lets say 50%, then all the users will share that 50% and the rest of the 50% is wasted (unused)

example: There should be a way to lest say give 4 users 64kbps on a 256 kbps line. so now when all 4 users are online they get 64kbps and the whole 356 kbps is also utilized. something along those lines!

Hope someone can help me on this.

Thanks

You can do per IP or MAC (per machine) but a router has no concpet of users - it is simply routing packets of data to/from physical addresses.
gaganwalia
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
how do you do this on a per mac basis. i looked all over but there is no place where i can set a mac address to get x amount of up and y amount of down bandwidth. can you please point me in the right direction
dellsweig
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 13:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
gaganwalia wrote:
how do you do this on a per mac basis. i looked all over but there is no place where i can set a mac address to get x amount of up and y amount of down bandwidth. can you please point me in the right direction

There is a program out there called "WRT Generator"

You input items like your link information and bandwidth requirements per IP/MAC/range up and down as well as connection limits.

The script creates an IP Tables script which you cut and paste into your firewall script window in DD-WRT.

I use this in place of the QoS

works GREAT

Link to generator program

http://www.icpnet.pl/~robsonn/generator.zip

When you kick it off it defaults to Polish - click on the tab with the flags and change it to english

I can help you with the rest...

Remember - when the script is all created - it will have commands in there with teh word MODPROBE - you have to change that to INSMOD.... This is all text and can be done in the DD-WRT command editor for the firewall script after you cut and paste fro the generator program

Let me know if you need any help
gaganwalia
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
wow, thanks a lot, you are a life saver, this really works. i am the happiiest person on this planet right now. and all credit goes to you (dellsweig) for this.

And ofcourse, this would not have been possible without the dd-wrt team. My special thanks to them also
dellsweig
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
gaganwalia wrote:
wow, thanks a lot, you are a life saver, this really works. i am the happiiest person on this planet right now. and all credit goes to you (dellsweig) for this.

And ofcourse, this would not have been possible without the dd-wrt team. My special thanks to them also

Wait a minute while I deflate my ego ;)

Seriously - good luck with it - it is a great tool.

I generally disable the GUI based QoS - I have had some problems in the past with possible conflicts.

Between these targeted scripts and the tcp-vegas congestion control - i have had great luck with this.

Thanks for the kudos!!
gaganwalia
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 18:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
ywah, I disabled QoS on the GUI also. And this really is a great tool. Thanks again.
strapabiro
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 13:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
HI!
Sorry for copy pasting this, someone redirected me to this topic;

So, here is the deal; i have 2 wrt54gl (v1.1) routers, the 1st wrt has dd-wrt x24 sp1 on it, and its broadcasting internet trough his eth. ports to 4 neighbours of mine (from a Huawei "i dont know it's model name but who cares it works" modem);
the wireless is wds-ed together with the 2nd router, (same model, wrt54gl v1.1 with v24 sp1 on it)

2 of my neighbours (they are ethernet linked from 1st router), are hardcore downloaders like me (i am wds linked, connected to 2nd router).

I'd like to optimize the QOS, to my favour, i mean that i'd like to have full speed access to each protocol (http, ptp, dc++ etc.), and the rest should get like half of the real speed when they are using torrent, p2p, etc., you know stuff that makes me think net is slow:). Altho i'd like if they would have full speed on http and any other things like that.

The things i know about qos so far is that there was a moment when i tried to eneble it and configure it experimentally, i only checked the enable checkbox (didnt made any other changes) and the internet stopped working on each pc.

I see that every application is using a specific port, but you know, i dont use any of the predefined applications in dd-wrt, for example there is predefined MSN, i use Yahoo; predefined WoW, i play Lineage2; predefined BitTorrent, i use uTorrent, and so on. My other question would be that how can i find out which app is using which port if i will be ever able to make qos somehow work.

I see that script generator but, what is when i am connected to the second router, what MAC will see the 1st router and which router should get that script generated from the program?

Really thank you in advance, sorry for the novel i've written above i tried to explain everything clearly.
dellsweig
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 13:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
strapabiro wrote:
HI!
Sorry for copy pasting this, someone redirected me to this topic;

So, here is the deal; i have 2 wrt54gl (v1.1) routers, the 1st wrt has dd-wrt x24 sp1 on it, and its broadcasting internet trough his eth. ports to 4 neighbours of mine (from a Huawei "i dont know it's model name but who cares it works" modem);
the wireless is wds-ed together with the 2nd router, (same model, wrt54gl v1.1 with v24 sp1 on it)

2 of my neighbours (they are ethernet linked from 1st router), are hardcore downloaders like me (i am wds linked, connected to 2nd router).

I'd like to optimize the QOS, to my favour, i mean that i'd like to have full speed access to each protocol (http, ptp, dc++ etc.), and the rest should get like half of the real speed when they are using torrent, p2p, etc., you know stuff that makes me think net is slow:). Altho i'd like if they would have full speed on http and any other things like that.

The things i know about qos so far is that there was a moment when i tried to eneble it and configure it experimentally, i only checked the enable checkbox (didnt made any other changes) and the internet stopped working on each pc.

I see that every application is using a specific port, but you know, i dont use any of the predefined applications in dd-wrt, for example there is predefined MSN, i use Yahoo; predefined WoW, i play Lineage2; predefined BitTorrent, i use uTorrent, and so on. My other question would be that how can i find out which app is using which port if i will be ever able to make qos somehow work.

I see that script generator but, what is when i am connected to the second router, what MAC will see the 1st router and which router should get that script generated from the program?

Really thank you in advance, sorry for the novel i've written above i tried to explain everything clearly.

Read my post above regarding the Generator program.

You can control overall bandwidth by IP, MAC or range of IP. You would use this in place of the traditional QoS.

This works great with DD-WRT
phuque99
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 13:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just a quick related question: If I port forwarded external port 5523 to internal IP and port 23, which port number should I used on the generator app if I wanted to limit bandwidth for this particular setup.
dellsweig
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 13:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
phuque99 wrote:
Just a quick related question: If I port forwarded external port 5523 to internal IP and port 23, which port number should I used on the generator app if I wanted to limit bandwidth for this particular setup.

The output of these scripts run as a firewall script so I would assume you would use the external port number..

Personally - I would play with it - test it to see what works. I have never used the app for controlling on a port basis - only IP/MAC
gaganwalia
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 14:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
it would be the external ip if you want to limit the bw for people connecting from the wan side, and the internal ip if you want to limit the bw from the lan side.
phuque99
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
Tried the rules generated by the application without much luck. It doesn't seem to throttle the port speed as expected.

On the other hand, I've used the GUI QoS interface and set port 8023 to "Bulk". That did the trick in preventing that port from hogging everything else.
zzzBrett
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 23:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
dellsweig wrote:
gaganwalia wrote:

There is a program out there called "WRT Generator"

You input items like your link information and bandwidth requirements per IP/MAC/range up and down as well as connection limits.

The script creates an IP Tables script which you cut and paste into your firewall script window in DD-WRT.

I use this in place of the QoS

works GREAT

Link to generator program

http://www.icpnet.pl/~robsonn/generator.zip

When you kick it off it defaults to Polish - click on the tab with the flags and change it to english

I can help you with the rest...

Remember - when the script is all created - it will have commands in there with teh word MODPROBE - you have to change that to INSMOD.... This is all text and can be done in the DD-WRT command editor for the firewall script after you cut and paste fro the generator program

Let me know if you need any help

What is the difference between 'modprobe' and 'insmod'? Do all router configs use insmod instead of modprobe?

Thanks!
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 5
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: