problem ( Might be noobish )..

ldsjohn
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 15:44    Post subject: problem ( Might be noobish ).. Reply with quote
okay I am having a problem and I need to know if its the router or the modem .. we have two wrt54gl routers with dd-wrt flashed.. its v23 sp1 5/30/06 and we have the two routers on two seperate site locations one on a t1 one on dsl. and are using openvpn to create a site to site bridged connectoin....

now here is the problem the connection works perfectly and such. but the router on the t1 will sometimes loose dns where it can't ping anything by name, it does it sometimes when it is rebooted. then it can't get to the time server and sets itself to jan 1st 1970 and then the vpn doesn't come up becuase the cert isn't yet valid

the question is... has anyone else had the problem where when a dd-wrt router reboots it suddenly cannot get dns or could it be that our t1 modem is bad, it was just installed yesterday...

okay another question
on the master router( the T1 ) the wan ip is static and the dns is setup to what the t1 ppl told us to make it,, and the gateway is set to what we were told to set it

the internal ip for the router
is 10.9.8.1 and its gateway is 10.9.8.1 should we set the gateway to the same as the external gateway or should it be set to the router? does this make sense?
Sponsor
bill_mcgonigle
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 18:18    Post subject: Re: problem ( Might be noobish ).. Reply with quote
ldsjohn wrote:
but the router on the t1 will sometimes loose dns where it can't ping anything by name, it does it sometimes when it is rebooted....has anyone else had the problem where when a dd-wrt router reboots it suddenly cannot get dns or could it be that our t1 modem is bad, it was just installed yesterday...

I've never had this kind of problem be attributable to DD-WRT, but you should plug in a laptop where the DD-WRT box is with the same network configuration as DD-WRT when this problem occurs so you can verify if it's the router or not.

ldsjohn wrote:
the internal ip for the router
is 10.9.8.1 and its gateway is 10.9.8.1 should we set the gateway to the same as the external gateway or should it be set to the router? does this make sense?

Assuming you're doing the NAT here ( the WAN IP of the DD-WRT is in a publicly-routed IP space space) then your internal machines use the DD-WRT as their gateway, so set the IP to that of the DD-WRT machine.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 20:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
yeah our t1 modem has been dropping off every 6 hours, turns out the thing is bad acording to speakeasy and they are sending someone to fix it ... when it goes out untill it is power cycled nothing works, even plugging into it, it just stops passing trafic, once it is rebooted our vpn comes back up shortly

on the second part I guess what I mean is on the setup tab of the router
where you define the lan address of the router should the gateway on that page be the same as the ip? or should it be the t1 gateway? this is urgent we cant fly home till this is all smooth Very Happy,

ps I will try to talk the boss into donateing, but I personally plan on donating next month if this all goes smooth Very Happy
bill_mcgonigle
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 20:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
ldsjohn wrote:
on the second part I guess what I mean is on the setup tab of the router
where you define the lan address of the router should the gateway on that page be the same as the ip? or should it be the t1 gateway?

It depends what the function of the DD-WRT router is. If it's acting as a NAT gateway then you want the DD-WRT address. If it's just a WAP then you want the address of the router.

ldsjohn wrote:
this is urgent we cant fly home till this is all smooth Very Happy,

Hey, are you doing an install in Hawaii?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 20:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
nope, san diego ca.... I miss the rain of portland
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Generic Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: