WRT54G 1.0 very close to unbrick, missing small input

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
FrankDD-WRT
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:25    Post subject: WRT54G 1.0 very close to unbrick, missing small input Reply with quote
Hi,

I am trying to unbrick my v1.0, bricked with v23 sp1 DD-WRT years ago.

I have searched the web and here and usually there is a tutorial on how to short pin 16, but never found that tutorial for v1.0, always v1.1+. Chips are totally different on v1.0, even the antenna is totally different.

http://www.thenorth.com/apblog4.nsf/0/668D65A56B02BB4B852570A400535F16 is great, but not for v1.0 at all.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Recover_from_a_Bad_Flash this is great too and this is where I need a small input.

According to the page, I am close to #3

Code:
The power LED flashes very fast and after about 20 seconds it lights permanently, but the DMZ LED did not light up. In this case Bootloader and Kernel (firmware) are intact, only a wrong configuration from locked up the router. This can happen if a wrong or corrupt value exists in the NVRAM. Here simply clearing the NVRAM should solve the problem.

Except my power LED NEVER flashes (always on) and I have a red DIAG led which flashes 13sec and then stays on rock solid, like the power led. The DMZ led always stays off.

First, does this mean it's bricked differently than stated above in #3?

Second, the small input I need:
I do get 3 to 5 ping responses when I power up the router, but it's erratic, sometimes I get 3, sometimes 4, 2, 5, 1 or none at all. Sometimes I get 2, a timeout and another ping and then timeouts. The ms increases from the 1st to last ping. Telnet is not working, cannot on port 23, it says.
I have tried to TFTP v24_mini_std while I plug the router using command prompt tftp and linksys tftp.exe utility. I have tried over 30-35 times differently and it always timeouts the same way.

Do I have a really really really bad timing issue here or is it possible the router just doesn't want to accept my tftp?

tnx! Smile

WRT54G2 v24 sp1
WRT54G v5 v24 sp1
Weird WRT54G v1.0 not working
Linux openSUSE 10.3 KDE 64-bits
Sponsor
jmh9072
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
Could there be a firewall preventing you from TFTPing? (Have you ever successfully done it before?)

If that's not the case, then the only way to recover would be to use JTAG. Pin shorting is never recommended, and can cause permanent damage to the flash chip. If it is indeed an nvram problem, then it wouldn't get you anywhere anyway.

Use JTAG to clear the nvram, and it should work. If not, clear both nvram and kernel, then TFTP a new image.

Se7en is Darker...
FrankDD-WRT
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
Tnx for giving inputs.

I have successfully tftped in 2006 on my Buffalo, but that is too far back in time, my machine setup might have changed since.

Since I test from a test machine, I used a Windows XP Pro SP2 test machine. I shutdown ZoneAlarm and I turn OFF the Windows Firewall.

I guess to clear both nvram and kernel I need JTAG as well? I should look for one on ebay, then...

tnx

WRT54G2 v24 sp1
WRT54G v5 v24 sp1
Weird WRT54G v1.0 not working
Linux openSUSE 10.3 KDE 64-bits
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: