I have OLSR working - what now?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
joksi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 19:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
You dont have to respond t anything.

Im just saying, and searching for explanations and solutins, to why OLSR dont want to start. What regards network knowledge, dont worry that much, i have studied Cisco CCNA/CCNP and Wireless LANs for three years and I work with IT and networking.

I completely understand both basics and advanced views of networking, TCP/IP and so forth. What I do nt understand, is how DD-WRT software works, is programmed and so on.
Sponsor
stupots
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 15:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
Now now children...

Joksi, I too have the same problem that OLSR is not working as expected, and whilst Sash's WIKI and Scriv's additions are really helpful, they totally presume that everything works.

What makes things harder is that when you create your ad-hoc nodes, even if OLSR isn't working you can still ping each node from the shell on another node as long as your wireless config is correct, obviously.

If you type "olsrd" at the shell, it will give you a useful message about where the error is, since the webadmin doesn't report whether the service is misconfigured or not. When it's working, you'll see olsrd running after a ps.

The config file it refers to is /tmp/olsrd.conf

Hope that helps.

Regards,
Stuart
Raoul
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 13:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
I believe www.quickamesh.com uses OLSR as well.
They might be able to help?
scriv
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 16:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
stupots is quite correct that my post assumes that the olsrd is running once activated in the GUI. All my tests were carried out with the Buffalo WHR-HP-G54 running v24sp1. On these routers running ps at the command line shows that the olsrd is a running process and addressing it on :8080 brings up the olsrd gui. I cannot comment on any other router or firmware.

I was very interested in Raoul's post and the url he provided. It seems to indicate that you can run an olsr network from multiple adsl conections thereby creating a multi wan feed into your network using WRT54GL/OpenWRT. I would be very interested in feedback from someone who has achieved this in a commercial environment. I still feel that these units do not really have enough memory to maintain a true olsr network but am quite happy to be convinced otherwise :)

scriv
Bib
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 14:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi scriv
Sorry, it never worked for me. I seached the typo but didn't find it. I couldn't get web access from a pc wired to an olsr router (methods 1 & 2).
dd-sp2 last release 090110
ps shows olsrd running
the http://lan:8080 is showing the others routeurs
the olsrd command replies "IPC bind: Address already in use"
Two things are puzzleing me: should I enable dynamic routing in olsr (advanced routing) and should I re-enter the IP created when unbridging wlan into the first fields of Basic_Setup.asp as a static IP.
I was called by an official of a little village that would like to get web access and the topology and density of the site seems to be ok for olsr, but if the routers can't help wired pc to go to the web, it will not be usefull.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 14:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
freifunk.

only uses 1.2 megs. run it on neutered routers.

setup in minutes. works right out of the box, no command line gibberish.

plenty of packages. easy to install firmware and packeges.

connect internet by plugging in a router with a DHCP server and Internet. no configuration necessary.

freifunk has its own DHCP server, so you only need one IP from the ISP.

you can plug in multiple ISPs, one per router.

free.
Bib
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 15:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
Nice new Very Happy ... unfortunatly, the site is all in german language and I can't find the dl link.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 15:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
Cool! I found it http://download.berlin.freifunk.net/ipkg/_g+gl/

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 16:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
That's it, Bib. I will pass on some useful links later today, and I hope to write an English language how to this weekend. There is an English tutorial in a freifunk wiki, but English not the first language of the author is...
scriv
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 20:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi Bib
Sorry I can't really tell from the info you've given why it's not working. I suspect somewhere the gateway may not be connected to the olsr network correctly and therefore you're not getting dns through the gateway's dhcp server.
It sounds like you've found a better solution anyway so I won't go into it in detail.
I found that olsr worked fine if all the routers were joined with cable but there does appear to be some problem when you use DD-WRT in Ad-hoc wireless mode and everything slows right down.
For me it was only a test exercise so I'd prefer to discontinue my input to this thread.
Thanks for your interest / scriv
ad5mb
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
Freifunk links what don't stink:

The rather confused English Language instructions. Not really necessary, it's intuitive if you know networks:

http://wiki.freifunk.net/Freifunk_Firmware_%28English%29

Latest packages. Different from the no longer working built in link in the older freifunk I'm running. Copy and paste into the appropriate box in the System page:

http://download.berlin.freifunk.net/ipkg/packages/

Degrees - Minutes - Seconds calculator. If you are going to put your GPS coordinates into the System page, this will be helpful.

http://www.satsig.net/degrees-minutes-seconds-calculator.htm

An explanation of MET-1MEST-2,M3.3.0,M10.5.0:

http://www.mail-archive.com/clug-talk@clug.ca/msg14324.html
Bib
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 13:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thank you all for your answers.
ad5mb I'm in a hurry to read your links.
I did it (at home only at the moment): http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=249349#249349

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
ad5mb wrote:
Freifunk links what don't stink:

The rather confused English Language instructions. Not really necessary, it's intuitive if you know networks:

http://wiki.freifunk.net/Freifunk_Firmware_%28English%29

Is it the tuto you talked about in your previous message?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 13:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
All,

Well, I've been distracted for quite a while but I've managed to spend some quality time on building an OLSR mesh, and I think I have it cracked. It's actually pretty simple when you know what you're doing. I've managed to use Buffalo WHR-HP-AG108 routers where the wireless-A provides the mesh backbone with the B/G providing client access. I even have it backboned on wired connections too.

Just to dispel any rumours about it only working on Buffalo routers, I've had it working just fine on Netgears too.

I will have to document what I've done for work, and when this is complete, I'll effectively cut and paste a step-by-step guide and udpdate the wiki, but don't expect this for a while. Suffice to say, the current wiki article only gives you half the information.

Regards,
Stuart
Bib
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 15:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm waiting for your missing half so much... could you although give me a track Idea ? Maybe with that I'll be able to work further on my own.

Bye bye

Navigation

Jump to: