wrt54gs v6 used to work, now no longer lets internet through

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
jzietman
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 23:42    Post subject: wrt54gs v6 used to work, now no longer lets internet through Reply with quote
i have a wrt54gs v6 that i bought about a month ago and which until last weekend worked perfectly, both with ethernet (my computer and my brother's) and with wireless (dad's laptop). last weekend, before i went away on a school trip to start off the year, the router stopped letting internet through to the computers on the network. internet works fine when the computer is plugged directly into the cable modem (we have comcast cable internet), and no settings had been changed since i got the router set up with dd-wrt v23 sp2 (micro version, the only one with a guide for this router) immeidately after purchase.

any insights onto what could be going on? i've reset all computers on the network to use dynamic network ip addresses, but this hasn't helped. when i run ipconfig /all in the command prompt when plugged into the router, i get dns addresses of 192.168.1.1 and the like, so that was obviously wrong. when i manually gave the computer the dns addresses i get when plugged directly into the modem, it still wouldn't work

thanks in advance, sorry about the long post
Sponsor
jzietman
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 0:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
i just tried reflashing the router with v23 sp1 final using the dd-wrt.v23_micro_wrt54gs.bin file found in dd-wrt.v23_sp1_micro.zip from this website, and now the username and password combination of root and admin no longer work, so i can't even access the router. grrrrrrrrr
peter_m2
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 2:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
If you used "dd-wrt.v23_micro_wrt54gs.bin" then that could have been the problem. According to the Wiki you should used the GENERIC "dd-wrt.v23_micro_generic.bin".

Sorry
jzietman
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 3:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
micro_generic is the one i originally used. now i'm going to try to reflash the firmware with this same one again, this time using tftp.exe
jzietman
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 3:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
tftp.exe flash didn't work. it says it doesn't get any response form the router.....
jzietman
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 21:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
any more ideas?
rkloost
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 22:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
Powerdown the router.

Set a fixed ip on your pc (192.168.1.2).
use the GUI TFTP.
select image to flash

turn on the router and directly start the tftp upload

1xWRT54Gv2

In need of WRT54GS <= v3 EU/UK for firmware-debugging purposes. Buffalo's are welcome too! PM me if you have a spare one.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: