WDS with afterburner (I know...here we go again).

whatsthedeal
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 21:30    Post subject: WDS with afterburner (I know...here we go again). Reply with quote
Ok for a long time now, I've been wanting to have an afterburner WDS link between my routers but was told that it was not supported. Searching google returned this page: http://www.hyperwrt.org/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=6600 which has a link to a USR router that supports Maxg (their afterburner mode) over a WDS link. The source code is provided and the router is broadcom based so I hope that this might be possible.

Here are the relevant links:
Product Page: http://www.usr.com/support/product-template.asp?prod=5461
Source Code: http://www.usr.com/support/s-gpl-code.asp Search for 5461
OpenWRT hardware page: http://wiki.openwrt.org/TableOfHardware#head-f9c6e72f973e0180709c3228e4a7c78ad27decfd

From the product page,

Quote:
Firmware Version 3.93.35.0.6
This new firmware improves MAXg wireless multicast performance and addresses printing on Mac OS X 10.3.x (and later) and Linux platforms. WDS mode now supports MAXg mode.

Thank you for considering this request.
Sponsor
whatsthedeal
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 5:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
I should clarify what I'm hoping to get from this. Here is my network configuration:

[modem]==[wrt54g] ))))))))))))))) WDS ((((((((((((((( [wrt54g]==[clients]

What I would like is to be able to have an increased bandwidth between the WDS nodes - not just repeat an afterburner capable wireless signal. This would really help in client and client bridged modes as well.

I know adding this won't be just a few lines of code so I'm not expecting anything to come of it. But having seen what DD-WRT is able to do at this point, I'm convinced that if there is any chance of this working, you will be able to make this work.
daman2482
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 17:38    Post subject: Afterburner Reply with quote
I have 2 whr-hp-g54 routers setup in wds. When I checked the throughput without frame bursting or afterburner enabled it was around 20MB. I enabled frame bursting and it brought me up to around 24-28MB. With framebursting enabled I then tried to enable afterburner. After I enabled afterburner I was able to get around 30mb of throughput. To measure the throughput I used Qcheck. I dont know if this will help you out any but I thought you might want to know.
whatsthedeal
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 3:43    Post subject: Re: Afterburner Reply with quote
daman2482 wrote:
I have 2 whr-hp-g54 routers setup in wds. When I checked the throughput without frame bursting or afterburner enabled it was around 20MB. I enabled frame bursting and it brought me up to around 24-28MB. With framebursting enabled I then tried to enable afterburner. After I enabled afterburner I was able to get around 30mb of throughput. To measure the throughput I used Qcheck. I dont know if this will help you out any but I thought you might want to know.

Thank you for the information. I'll be sure to try this out to see if I can get that kind of throughput because that would be a significant increase. Very Happy

Just curious, what do you have the maximum number of connections set to on the administration tab? I had it at 2000 but reduced it to 600 and noticed an increase in speed.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Generic Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: