QoS broken ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
rkramer
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 14:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
here is why you drop it down to around 90%...

without qos, your ISP maintains a queue of packets from your connection if you are trying to send at the full line rate. That queue is FIFO, so no reordering of packets or anything else is done, it just releases the packets at whatever speed you have paid for. (This queue may be in your cable modem, depending on the network)

with ddwrt QOS, the idea is to move the queue back to your control, and the ONLY way to do that is to drop the max speed to be a little under what you are allowed. So for any solution to work it must chop off some speed. technically you only have to drop slightly under your ISP rated speed, but since connections have noise and speed varies a little, a little more like 10% becomes more effective. 5% might work for some, any less and the queue ends up spending most of its time back at the ISP, effectively disabling QOS.
Sponsor
KungFuJoe
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 18:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
superG and rkramer,

Thanks for the replies...I'm learning something new everyday. Smile
larsrya8
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 2:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
rkramer wrote:
with ddwrt QOS, the idea is to move the queue back to your control, and the ONLY way to do that is to drop the max speed to be a little under what you are allowed. So for any solution to work it must chop off some speed. technically you only have to drop slightly under your ISP rated speed, but since connections have noise and speed varies a little, a little more like 10% becomes more effective. 5% might work for some, any less and the queue ends up spending most of its time back at the ISP, effectively disabling QOS.

How exactly does DD-WRT slow down your internet connection?

DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 15:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
For a while, I was a strong supporter of the QoS in V23 SP1. Now, I am not. When I originally set this up, my bandwidth without QoS was 4.92M Down/370 Up. I set up QoS with the limits of 4400/350 and my VOIP tested would come out fine at about 4.68/341 with 99% Quality of Service index. That was fine for months.

Recently, all of a sudden, I got slowdowns in my Internet and voice quality issues with SunRocket. I tested my bandwidth and have been doing so for a month now. When my QoS is enabled at 4200/350 with HTB or HFSB packets, my bandwidth varies (even if the phone is OFF). It some times goes all the way down to 800K and my QoS index is sometimes 15% to sometimes 70% but mostly below 50%. My RT times are also ugly. I got the cable guy out here TWICE. They confirmed that the line was OK the second time. I still get poor numbers. Till then, I did not doubt the QoS of DD-WRT. But for kicks, I disbled the QoS in DD-WRT and rebooted the router and lo and behold, the numbers went right up to 99% Quality with 4.92 down and 368 Up. As soon as I enable the QoS settings, I get the same poor results and some times lags in my Internet browsing.

:(

I am planning on upgrading to SP2 to see if that fixes it as I am reading that the SP2 has a better implementation of QoS.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 15:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
You should give OpenWrt WhiteRussian and webif^2 a try. Webif^2 has GUIs for either nbd's or rudy's QoS scripts.
larsrya8
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 4:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
Timbuktu wrote:
You should give OpenWrt WhiteRussian and webif^2 a try. Webif^2 has GUIs for either nbd's or rudy's QoS scripts.

Isn't webif^2 rather glitchy? Or has Milestone 2.5 resolved those issues?

DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 13:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
I flashed to SP2 last night. That did not resolve the issue. I still get flakey QoS service level readings from http://myspeed.visualware.com/voip/ speed tests. As to trying other firmwares, I just don't have time to play around with more firmwares. DD-WRT has been stable for me so I figured I'd stick with it. I haven't noticed those lags yet so may be thought the numbers are not good with QoS running, I might not get lags and that will make me plenty happy.

:)
Simtech
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 1:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
I flashed my WRT54GL with SP2 the other night with no problems. I wanted to implement Qos to ensure good VOIP quality and at first tried it port based. After reading this forum, i changed to service based for my Primus service.
I had to create a mgcp protocol with the appropriate ports and give it premium to ensure great voice quality. I would like to set everything that comes from the computer to be bulk. I had set the P2P traffic to be bulk, but then the wife uploaded some pics to SprawlMart and killed the voice quality. How do I ensure that all traffic coming from the computer will not affect VOIP?
gguruusa
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 5:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
how did you define the mgcp service, what are your upload/download speeds vs your ISP speeds, and what are you using for VOIP?

You don't need to set everything to bulk, but you can define the computer's IP/MAC as bulk if you really want to do that.
Simtech
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 15:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
gguruusa wrote:
how did you define the mgcp service, what are your upload/download speeds vs your ISP speeds, and what are you using for VOIP?

You don't need to set everything to bulk, but you can define the computer's IP/MAC as bulk if you really want to do that.

I put in a service called mgcp and set the ports to 2427 and 2727. My VOIP provider is Primus Canada. My upload/download speeds are set at 85% of max. I tested my speeds may times and couldn't get consistent results. Should I go with the higher numbers?

I just don't want to get caught with some service I forgot to add and VOIP suffers as a result. My wife isn't on the phone that much but when she is, she wants the quality to be excellent. I read here that the MAC filtering doesn't work on the newer routers.
Sad
gguruusa
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 19:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
I haven't played with SP2 or SP3, but there was a period where MAC filtering was broken, and then fixed (way back in v23 pre-SP1final). I couldn't tell you if it's broken on certain models or version of router, but MAC QoS works fine on my WRT54GSv2.1 w/ v23 SP1final and v24.

If you're getting inconsistent speed test, you'll want to use the smallest numbers - and enter 85% of those on the QoS page. What are your up and down bandwiths?

Last, mgcp is the control protocol - what you want is the rtp/rtcp protocol ports as they are actually carrying the audio streams. Try using MAC/IP based QoS, or call your provider for the ports, or you can try to determine them empirically by monitoring your ethernet traffic while placing a number of calls (not advised).
Simtech
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 8:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
gguruusa wrote:
I haven't played with SP2 or SP3, but there was a period where MAC filtering was broken, and then fixed (way back in v23 pre-SP1final). I couldn't tell you if it's broken on certain models or version of router, but MAC QoS works fine on my WRT54GSv2.1 w/ v23 SP1final and v24.

If you're getting inconsistent speed test, you'll want to use the smallest numbers - and enter 85% of those on the QoS page. What are your up and down bandwiths?

Last, mgcp is the control protocol - what you want is the rtp/rtcp protocol ports as they are actually carrying the audio streams. Try using MAC/IP based QoS, or call your provider for the ports, or you can try to determine them empirically by monitoring your ethernet traffic while placing a number of calls (not advised).

Thanks g. I am going to try the MAC filtering this weekend and report back on the results. I'll take out the protocol filtering as well until I figure out whether I need to find the rtp/rtcp ports. Fun! Rolling Eyes

Again thanks for the input.
mjj2332
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 8:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
i'm using V23 SP2, HFSC doesn't work but HTB does.

I run BT and eMule at full speed, i get 600-700 ping with HFSC and 0-100 ping with HTB on Battle.Net (Warcraft III).
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 Display posts from previous:    Page 4 of 4
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: