Realistic Wireless G speed - what is it??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
dellsweig
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 13:37    Post subject: Realistic Wireless G speed - what is it?? Reply with quote
Typically - what speeds can I expect in a G only (4 client) Wireless environment - WPA TKIP. (WRT54GL DD-WRT V24 SP2)

I am seeing no more than 13Mbps wireless but see 24Mbps wired (dl speed to my ISP - local speed test - NY).

Measurements taken 3 feet from AP with no other clients connected. Same speeds seen on channel 2,6 & 11
Sponsor
Donny
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 14:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
I think this is an important topic and I apologize for not really answering the question. If those numbers are accurate, the 13 is low. However you can't rely on speedtests. There are external factors that control them. I once got over 8mb on my 1-1.5mb. To accurately test your wireless speed only, you have to do a file transfer on a local lan.

I have found that the bandwidth graphs in dd-wrt seem accurate.

There are also settings in dd-wrt that can assist in certain situations. Most of these are in the advanced wireless tab. For close connections ACK timing should be set to 0. I have heard disabling CTS can be important in having people gain normal speed. Frameburst is also sometimes a problem and needs to be turned off (I believe it is by default).

Also, dd-wrt is NOT the fastest kid on the block. It works well and DOES things that other firmware can't. But it is not a speed demon. It's a powerhouse.

My understanding is that, under ideal conditions, you should be able to expect around 30-35mbs with encryption. That is about a 4mB connection. And any sort of interference or signal loss will drop it down.

Would you be opposed to turning this thread into a "what settings maximize wireless speed" as well as what are ideal wireless speeds?

Peacock Thread Sticky- Just read it! (Anyone using SP1 will be taken out back and shot)
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=51486

Last edited by Donny on Sat Dec 13, 2008 17:16; edited 1 time in total
dellsweig
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 15:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
Donny wrote:
I think this is an important topic and I apologize for not really answering the question. If those numbers are accurate, the 13 is low. However you can't rely on speedtests. There are external factors that control them. I once got over 8mb on my 1-1.5mb. To accurately test your wireless speed only, you have to do a file transfer on a local lan.

I have found that the bandwidth graphs in dd-wrt seem accurate.

There are also settings in dd-wrt that can assist in certain situations. Most of these are in the advanced wireless tab. For close connections ACK timing should be set to 0. I have heard disabling CTS can be important in having people gain normal speed. Frameburst is also sometimes a problem and needs to be turned off (I believe it is by default).

Also, dd-wrt is NOT the fastest kid on the block. It works well and DOES things that other firmware can't. But it is not a speed demon. It's a powerhouse.

My understanding is that, under ideal conditions, you should be able to expect around 30-35kbs with encryption. That is about a 4mB connection. And any sort of interference or signal loss will drop it down.

Would you be opposed to turning this thread into a "what settings maximize wireless speed" as well as what are ideal wireless speeds?

From what I have been reading - 30Mbps wirelss is not generally seen but is possible.

I have tried some settings like frame burst, etc with no real impact. Also - I have tried local wireless to LAN transfers and get the same 13Mbps on the Wireless side.

I have also used a varfiety of on-line speed tests as and the Speed Graphs in DD-WRT - as wella s my MRTG graphs are all pretty close in agreement.

Please - lets open this up to a discussion on best settings for DD-WRT

Attached is a screen shot of my advanced wireless settings

ScreenHunter_01 Dec. 13 10.10.jpg
 Description:
Advanced Wireless settings
 Filesize:  80.15 KB
 Viewed:  24446 Time(s)

ScreenHunter_01 Dec. 13 10.10.jpg

dellsweig
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 15:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
Here is a screen shot of the DD-WRT bandwidth graph during a Wireless PC to Wired PC (local LAN) file transfer. This was a binary file.

ScreenHunter_01 Dec. 13 10.26.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  24.98 KB
 Viewed:  24438 Time(s)

ScreenHunter_01 Dec. 13 10.26.jpg

Donny
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 16:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
couple of things to try.

First of all. There was a LOT of discussion a few weeks ago about CTS needing to be disabled. I would disable it by default. Not as sure about frameburst, but unless you have speedboost, I suggest disabling it as a default

Second, watch that preamble. Not sure what you are connecting to, but you might want to experiment with auto or short.

Third, What is you CPU at during the transfer?

Wireless security was off during the LAN transfer?

Peacock Thread Sticky- Just read it! (Anyone using SP1 will be taken out back and shot)
dellsweig
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 16:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
Donny wrote:
couple of things to try.

First of all. There was a LOT of discussion a few weeks ago about CTS needing to be disabled. I would disable it by default. Not as sure about frameburst, but unless you have speedboost, I suggest disabling it as a default

Second, watch that preamble. Not sure what you are connecting to, but you might want to experiment with auto or short.

Third, What is you CPU at during the transfer?

Wireless security was off during the LAN transfer?

Tried CTS disabled as well as Frame burst both enabled and disabled - No noticable difference

I was under the impression the pre-amble setting - when set to short was to allow B devices to connect.
I just tried all three settings (long, short, auto) with no difference

CPU is negligable during transfers. Remeber - If I do wired Internet speed test I get 24Mbps so I dont think I am cpu bound. Attached is a CPU/mem shot during transfer

As for wireless security - I ran a test with no security - no difference

ScreenHunter_01 Dec. 13 11.20.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  40.38 KB
 Viewed:  24412 Time(s)

ScreenHunter_01 Dec. 13 11.20.jpg

mazilo
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 16:59    Post subject: Re: Realistic Wireless G speed - what is it?? Reply with quote
dellsweig wrote:
I am seeing no more than 13Mbps wireless but see 24Mbps wired (dl speed to my ISP - local speed test - NY).

What exactly did you mean by local speed test? Did you mean LAN speed? For LAN speed on my WRT54GS v3 with DDWRT v24sp1, I can transfer 100MB file between my computers through FTP @11MBps (88Mbps data + overheads) on average. For WAN, it depends on my ISP. My WRT54GS v3 has WiFi disabled (not use).

DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 17:09    Post subject: Re: Realistic Wireless G speed - what is it?? Reply with quote
mazilo wrote:
dellsweig wrote:

What exactly did you mean by local speed test? Did you mean LAN speed? For LAN speed on my WRT54GS v3 with DDWRT v24sp1, I can transfer 100MB file between my computers through FTP @11MBps (88Mbps data + overheads) on average. For WAN, it depends on my ISP. My WRT54GS v3 has WiFi disabled (not use).

Wilress is considered part of your local area netwoek (LAN). If you read my post - the test was from a wireless computer on my LAN to a wired computer on the same LAN
Donny
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 17:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
Here's what I got doing a wireless transfer from my laptop (wireless) to a wired client on my LAN ...WEP enabled. Looks about the same as yours.....

wtran.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  54.76 KB
 Viewed:  24383 Time(s)

wtran.jpg

dellsweig
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 17:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
Donny wrote:
Here's what I got doing a wireless transfer from my laptop (wireless) to a wired client on my LAN ...WEP enabled. Looks about the same as yours.....

Wow - now I dont feel so bad....

So back to the question - is this what real world wireless G looks like?? Is there anything we can do??

Maybe an WRT310N in my future.......

It wasnt so long ago we laughted at ppl who complained about wireless speeds because the ISP was always slower - but now my ISP is 25Mbps and my wireless IS slow
Donny
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 17:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
dellsweig wrote:

It wasnt so long ago we laughted at ppl who complained about wireless speeds because the ISP was always slower - but now my ISP is 25Mbps and my wireless IS slow

Mine is 1Mbps....and it is fast! How can THAT be? Wink

JN
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 17:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
The best realworld speed I see for transferring files over my LAN via wireless G with the server connected by cable and the laptop wireless is just under 3 megabytes per second copy right (103 MB in 37 seconds). When I tried afterburner with and without frameburst in an older version of DD-WRT, these seem to do absolutely nothing to improve performance.

Has anyone gotten any benefit from afterburner and/or frameburst?
dellsweig
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 18:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
JN wrote:
The best realworld speed I see for transferring files over my LAN via wireless G with the server connected by cable and the laptop wireless is just under 3 megabytes per second copy right (103 MB in 37 seconds). When I tried afterburner with and without frameburst in an older version of DD-WRT, these seem to do absolutely nothing to improve performance.

Has anyone gotten any benefit from afterburner and/or frameburst?

Thats 24Mbps - what router/firmware are you using??
dellsweig
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 19:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
Upon suggestion of others - I tried IPERF on both sides of the test configuration.

The results agree with what I am seeing with other speed tests and the DD-WRT Bandwidth graphs

This is a test run from my wireless G laptop (dell dual core) to my desktop hard wired to the AP.

The dslreports speed test from my desktop to the internet is as follows:

java speedtest 25580 Kbps 737 Kbps NYC, NY, USA rr.com

The same dslreports speed test for my wireless laptop:

java speedtest 12791 Kbps 735 Kbps NYC, NY, USA rr.com

Attached is the IPERF report from the test (wireless to wired IPERF)

ScreenHunter_01 Dec. 13 14.37.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  136.75 KB
 Viewed:  24337 Time(s)

ScreenHunter_01 Dec. 13 14.37.jpg

dellsweig
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 22:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
I cannot believe that there are only the few that answered this that can give some numbers on what they are currently seeing with wirelss G and DD-WRT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 7
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: