More on Wake on LAN (WOL)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
donnyb
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 16:15    Post subject: More on Wake on LAN (WOL) Reply with quote
I have read several of the WOL threads and what I have found is that success depends on how the remote computer is shut down. I did some testing to prove that theory out. In fact, there are two ways to test: on your local LAN and from a separate internet connection. Almost everything I tried on my local LAN started the remote computer, and most things tried from the internet did not work.

If I turned my remote computer (XP Pro) off by pressing and holding the ON/OFF button, nothing worked for WOL (LAN or internet). This, of course, is not a good practice anyway. I tested a piece of freeware called poweroff.exe. Using an internet connection, I could not start the remote using the Poweroff or Shutdown settings. I also tried START > SHUTDOWN > Shutdown while sitting at the remote computer. The WOL command worked well for this. This would only work if you shut it down this way, then wanted to wake it and leave it running or shut it down and not use it again until returning. If however, you need to start and stop remotely several times, it would not work. So, I am still looking for a way to shut down and have WOL work remotely (more than once).
BTW, my WOL command line looks like this:

/usr/sbin/wol -i 192.168.1.96 11:00:11:22:00:11
Sponsor
soulstace
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 20:57    Post subject: Re: More on Wake on LAN (WOL) Reply with quote
donnyb wrote:
BTW, my WOL command line looks like this:

/usr/sbin/wol -i 192.168.1.96 11:00:11:22:00:11

Maybe that's the problem. You should be using the network broadcast address 192.168.1.255. And although that MAC may have been an example, it's an invalid one. The first octet of MAC must be even. 11 is odd.
Kingdomcome
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 22:47    Post subject: Re: More on Wake on LAN (WOL) Reply with quote
donnyb wrote:
If I turned my remote computer (XP Pro) off by pressing and holding the ON/OFF button, nothing worked for WOL (LAN or internet)

Very important to keep in mind for remote machinces. Consider a power failure...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 22:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
You are correct. The MAC address is not a real one, and mine does start with an even number.
I think I tried the network broadcast number when I was connected to my LAN, and maybe anything would have worked. I will have to retest using the correct IP address.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: