WRT54G-TM NON-JTAG CFE-Updater

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 19, 20, 21  Next
jrose78
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 14:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
I tried the to install DD-WRT on the WRTU54G via the wrt54g instructions but under the admin tab on the router it would not accept the CFE_Updater-WRTU54G-TM.bin file.

Here are some pics of the WRTU54G-TM Modem:

IMG_1354.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  150.91 KB
 Viewed:  26544 Time(s)

IMG_1354.jpg

IMG_1358.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  162.2 KB

IMG_1358.jpg

IMG_1359.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  140.5 KB

IMG_1359.jpg

Sponsor
Luniz2k1
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 16:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
jrose78 wrote:
I tried the to install DD-WRT on the WRTU54G via the wrt54g instructions but under the admin tab on the router it would not accept the CFE_Updater-WRTU54G-TM.bin file.

Here are some pics of the WRTU54G-TM Modem:

I'm not sure what file you are talking about, but there is no CFE_Updater for your WRTU54G-TM.

The CFE_Updater in this post is ONLY for a WRT54G-TM (No U in the model number). Do NOT use files for devices that they are not meant for hoping that there will be a small chance that it may work, because it will not.

Got OpenDNS?
jrose78
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 16:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
There is were I got the idea to try the flash from dd-wrts own site .. Look at the top it says wrtu54g and it looks like the wrtu54g may be the same router on the inside, but I am not sure. Here is the site http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/WRTU54G-TM . I did detect the fact you were talking down to me in last post and I do not appretiate it as if I just went eeny meeny miney moe I think I will use this flash.
Doramius
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 20:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
jrose78 wrote:
There is were I got the idea to try the flash from dd-wrts own site .. Look at the top it says wrtu54g and it looks like the wrtu54g may be the same router on the inside, but I am not sure. Here is the site http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/WRTU54G-TM . I did detect the fact you were talking down to me in last post and I do not appretiate it as if I just went eeny meeny miney moe I think I will use this flash.

If you're brave enough, you could try to TFTP it. Just be forewarned that any method that you do to test it out may brick the unit. You're on your own. But if you want to experiment, I say it's worth a try. Maybe even try the VXworks prep and vxworks killer that the WRT54G-TM uses.

Again, it's at your own risk. The only thing is I didn't see any broadcom chips. I may have missed it.
jrose78
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 0:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ya I am not sure... I tried the tftp after reboot and no luck.
dacman61
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 0:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thank goodness someone came up with a solution to flash these WRT54G-TM's the easy way. I've JTAG flashed about 20 of these things and have gotten really sick of doing it... Although the profit on them was nice. ;)

I have two left out of my big batch I bought. I'm going to give this new way a shot! Woo Hoo!
Luniz2k1
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 3:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
jrose78 wrote:

If you were to click on the history of that wiki page at the bottom, you would have seen that somebody named Sboger created that wiki entry, not me. He/she copied my post from the forum and made that wiki page with the wrong model number.

I was not talking down to you. My objective was to make sure that anyone else looking to flash their WRTU54G-TM would not follow in your footsteps.

You made the mistake of going by the model number listed at the top of the wiki page, and your router paid for it. If you look through the contents of that wiki page, the only model number it talks about is the WRT54G-TM (no U).

Take some time and read through other posts on this forum. You will see that others talk the same way as I do when they have to help people that dont do their research.

Doramius wrote:
But if you want to experiment, I say it's worth a try. Maybe even try the VXworks prep and vxworks killer that the WRT54G-TM uses.

There is no vxworks prep/killer for the WRT54G-TM because the WRT54G-TM doesnt have VXworks on it.

Got OpenDNS?
Tornado
DD-WRT Developer/Maintainer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 5:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
If your really interested in flashing this router for yourself and doing some of the grunt work, so that others may follow, start by providing serial console output of its boot process.

The boot up can provide information needed to begin on a port.

My preferred parallel jtag adapter:
TIAO Parallel adapter

Tjtag website - http://tjtag.com

Compiling DD-WRT on:
AMD Phenom II X6 1090T @ 3926.667 Mhz

Aptosid X64 - Debian SID X64
Ubuntu 10.10 X64 - Arch X64
Eko

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 5:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
dacman61 wrote:
Thank goodness someone came up with a solution to flash these WRT54G-TM's the easy way. I've JTAG flashed about 20 of these things and have gotten really sick of doing it... Although the profit on them was nice. Wink

I have two left out of my big batch I bought. I'm going to give this new way a shot! Woo Hoo!

So share some of your profit with us - donate !
f4phantomii
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 16:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
Tornado wrote:
If your really interested in flashing this router for yourself and doing some of the grunt work, so that others may follow, start by providing serial console output of its boot process.

The boot up can provide information needed to begin on a port.

I'll gladly do this. I have a WRTU54G-TM running firmware 1.00.09.

I've been running DD-WRT on several other routers for years and I'd love to get it on these to help simplify my currently crazy home network.

I don't see an obvious option to capture the boot output of the router. The only "log" option I see is to capture incoming or outgoing packets.

Can you provide me with some instructions on how I might go about capturing the boot output on the console? I realize that might not be easy if you don't have one of these.

But if I can figure it out, I'll happily post up the log here.
rootarouter
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 18:55    Post subject: version Reply with quote
I apologize. Have read thru so many posts - bookmarked and downloaded lots of stuff, read the peacock- I am all ready to flash my Linkys WRT54G-TM - and for the life of me I cannot figure the download/version I am supposed to be using. I look at at the consumer page follow the Linkys link to the WRT54G-Tm and don't see anything I find overwhelming intuitive! I remember reading mega is the way to go and that still leaves three choices- any clues? Can someone paste a link in here for me........ please? I did a lot of homework- but I am still coming up short.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 20:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
^^DD-WRT mega V24 SP1
http://www.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/v24-sp1/Consumer/Broadcom%20Generic/dd-wrt.v24_mega_generic.bin

Read the first page of this thread.
rootarouter
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 1:40    Post subject: version Reply with quote
Thanks Shawn. I appreciate your quick response. And kudos to everyone on these forums that does all this research and testing, building and tutoring. Not to be testy but I did read and re-read the first page of this thread and heaven help me there doesn't appear an exact explanation of how to select from all the choices on the downloads pages. In this case there are more than 25 choices under the heading of WRT54G-TM- I know the virtual private networks, the voice over internet protocol, the this the that, are probably not what I want-I hate to ask why they are even there, and why a whole bunch with other model routers and not to mention the mini and standard (which I was originally preparing to install in stages)- its , well , a mess. Maybe not to the people who monitor this- but to a lay person. The builds that do appear on page 1 of this thread still are active downloads but do not even appear in the page I keep leading myself to.That I find curious- but it also adds to my state of perplexation. BTW the downloads page I end up at is >url] http://www.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv3/dd-wrt/downloads.html. I did run a foul to start out here so I don't mean to sound like a troll. I absentmindely didn't read through a thread and missed exactly what I was looking for. So its entirely possible I did it again.
But you lads are the best (except as noted!) I love that everyone is building things and expanding their knowlege and being so involved with it. Embarassed

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 2:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
Luniz2k1 wrote:

* Download the DD-WRT firmware (MUST be v24-RC5 or newer - v24-SP2 build 10404 >>>OR A NEWER BUILD<<< is suggested)

Note to new users: Do your research and find out what the latest build is and use it from the start, unless there are issues with the latest build preventing the WRT54G-TM from operating properly, then go to a previous build.

Rootarouter:

I understand how difficult it can be to navigate through the many builds, but on the first page of this thread there is a link that will, if you click it, download the newd_mega version that is recommended, without any need to choose. It is an older, but if you read the peacock thread, you will see that if you can download svn10404 NEWD_MEGA.bin, you can use any of the newer NEWD_MEGA.bin builds, such as 10776 or 10923.

The reason I say this is I think you were linked to SP1. If that is the case I might try a newer build, particularly the 10776 build.

However, if you are not sure, it is ALWAYS best to ask. Take care.
Tornado

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 16:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
You connect a serial console to it, and then provide that output...do this on the U version of the TM, at a minimum, back it up so we can recover it, if something does wrong

My preferred parallel jtag adapter:
TIAO Parallel adapter

Tjtag website - http://tjtag.com

Compiling DD-WRT on:
AMD Phenom II X6 1090T @ 3926.667 Mhz

Aptosid X64 - Debian SID X64
Ubuntu 10.10 X64 - Arch X64
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 19, 20, 21  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 4 of 21
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: