*SOLVED* WRT54GS resetting NVRAM bricks router...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Doffo
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 22:04    Post subject: *SOLVED* WRT54GS resetting NVRAM bricks router... Reply with quote
Hello,

I have a WRT54GS v2 router that has a strange problem.

For some reason the second I hit erase nvram options from any DD-WRT firmware, it only bricks the router and will no longer boot.

I have tried a ton of firmwares and it seems that every one of them causes it... The firmwares that actually work when you restore factory defaults and reset using 30/30/30 are the original linksys firmwares... 30,30,30 will not work with other firmwares as the second you do, it just sits there with absolutely no response.

I was wondering how it differs from the actual linksys firmware when it goes to reset the NVRAM vs DD-WRT's way of erasing NVRAM? Is DD-WRT erasing wrongs parts of the flash into other regions? I know its an 8MB flash on this model..

Tomato WRT also does this. When you try to use Erase NVRAM, it sits there upon rebooting the router.

DD-WRT will only work is if I do not use the reset to factory defaults and also when i chose no reset when you upgrade the firmware. It works fine along that, but the second you do 30/30/30, no response, basically bricks with power light flashing at you. :(

Here is my flash and CPU types:

*** Found a Broadcom BCM4712 Rev 1 chip ***
*** FOUND FLASH CHIP: Intel 28F640J3 4Mx16 ***

Thanks, hope there is some kind of answer or reason as to why the router stops the way it does. Shocked

Last edited by Doffo on Mon Nov 17, 2008 2:30; edited 1 time in total
Sponsor
Doffo
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 22:29    Post subject: openwrt white russian restores good. Reply with quote
..One more WRT that restores just fine is X-WRT WhiteRussian release. You use White Russian cause Kamikazi's wireless drivers wont work for the WRT54GS.

Hope this helps.
Donny
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 23:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
Have you ever replaced the CFE.bin on this router? Perhaps it is corrupt. Or perhaps you are loading a corrupt firmware. Which version are you trying to load.
vulcan59
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 23:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
Similar problem here on a version 1.1

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=38247&highlight=

I exchanged some PMs with eko about this and he was going to do some testing but I haven't heard anything in a while.

Meanwhile, try this. It has worked for me a few times.
erase nvram;nvram set sdram_init=0x010b;nvram commit;reboot
I got the idea from http://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?id=580&p=5
Take a look at post #114 on that link.

Edit 18/11/2008. I don't think the nvram commit is required. See my post below.

Last edited by vulcan59 on Tue Nov 18, 2008 20:22; edited 1 time in total
Doffo
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 23:47    Post subject: thanks Reply with quote
thanks for the comments..

The CFE is for sure intact and good. I have my original and the one i replaced so that Boot_wait is on, that saves me for when i have a bad flash, I can just upload another one.

I will give a shot and see if nvram resetting string works.
Doffo
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 23:55    Post subject: ideas... Reply with quote
I was thinking...

The CFE I have has that sdram_init=0x000b

Let me give that command a try and see if its successful....

If so, maybe changing the CFE somehow to sdram_init=0x010b would fix this issue...

...*Crosses Fingers*... be right back, going to test this out...
Doffo
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 0:14    Post subject: FIXXED!!! Reply with quote
OH MY!!!

I WORKED!

*Celebrates!*

That command sequence for erasing the NVRAM worked perfect! upon telnetting in DD-WRT and issuing those commands, WHALA! rebooted and factory defaults were loaded!

I hope this helps out anyone else with the same issues! It is in face sdram_init value on the stock CFE.bin is wrong! its not 0x000b, its 0x010b!

I am gonna try to see if you can just hex edit the correct value..

Thanks again for the helpful information!

Please sticky this GS router problems! Wink
Doffo
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 2:25    Post subject: CFE.BIN editing worked. Reply with quote
Thanks again guys!

It did work to hex edit the CFE.BIN and change it from 0x000b to 0x010b... :)

I used the free hex edit when i googled "hex editor".

But for sure. If any of you have this problem with when you reset factory defaults and it craps, build a JTAG interface and do some work to your CFE.BIN :)

sdram_init=0x000b needs to be 0x010b

I tested and reverted back to original factory firmware of linksys and all works fine!!

Thanks again guys!
Donny
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 2:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
You could change save the file, edit it to remove your mac addresses (replace with 40.00.00.00.0x)etc and save it here, as well as uploading it to the cfe collection sticky. That way, others who can't handle hex edits will have access to a fixed file.

Might also want to notify Eko of this thread.
Doffo
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 2:56    Post subject: kk Reply with quote
The CFE.BIN i got on it now isnt one of mine, i actually got it form OpenWRT's site, and theirs had the boot_wait already turned on and something about reset... But its a CFE.BIN i can just upload to this site for sure. I will go ahead an upload it. :)

If you can notify Eko, that would be great.

I notice that when it used to be 0x000b, OpenWRT's x-WRT thing would actually restore nvram to that 0x010b.. though the CFE.BIN originally had 0x000b.

Either way, its good to backup, then write the CFE.
vulcan59
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 13:09    Post subject: Re: CFE.BIN editing worked. Reply with quote
Doffo wrote:
Thanks again guys!
It did work to hex edit the CFE.BIN and change it from 0x000b to 0x010b... Smile

Good to hear. Can you confirm whether a 30-30-30 reset using the reset button works ok after making this change to the CFE. Thanks.
Doffo
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 14:09    Post subject: 30/30/30 reset. Reply with quote
Hello Vulcan,

Yes, the 30/30/30 works great too! Smile I did that once I updated the CFE.BIN.

Everything updates correctly and reboots fine. Cool
vulcan59
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 20:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
vulcan59 wrote:

Meanwhile, try this. It has worked for me a few times.
erase nvram;nvram set sdram_init=0x010b;nvram commit;reboot

Have done some more testing today while running eko build 10776 VINT and I can only get a reset to work if I don't do the nvram commit. So, the sequence that consistently works for me is:
erase nvram
nvram set sdram_init=0x010b
reboot

I was sure I used to do a commit but maybe I just remembered it wrong.
varaonaid
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 22:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
Total newbie here to DD-WRT (though several years ago I successfully flashed the Sveasoft Alchemy software onto my repeater router). Thoroughly read through the peacock thread which is what led me here. Smile

I'm just wondering what program I use to make the changes outlined by vulcan to the Linksys GS V2 which has the trouble with the hard resets.

Thanks so much!
varaonaid
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 23:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
NVM,seems the router specific page on the wiki gives other instructions that makes this unnecessary. Thanks for all the work though!
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 3
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: