DD_WRT rocks!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
fredex1
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 2:58    Post subject: DD_WRT rocks! Reply with quote
Router Name fcshome-wrt54gl
Router Model Linksys WRT54G/GL/GS
Firmware Version DD-WRT v23 SP2 (09/15/06) vpn - build 3932

Current Time Sat, 08 Nov 2008 21:47:07
Uptime 114 days, 12:36
Sponsor
ThaCrip
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 4:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
congrats on the uptime ;)

me personally, i dont think ill ever reach that much uptime due to either updating dd-wrt to a newer version OR having the power go out during thunderstorms etc etc in the spring/summer.

my personal best uptime was 54days on DD-WRT v23 SP2 final, but ended due to power outage on May 2nd 2008

i most likely would have beaten that time cause my 2nd closest uptime was 44 days but that ended due to me updating firmware from v24 to v24 SP1

current uptime as of time i write this is... just shy of 12 days, which was when i updated to v24 10600 TNG Eko builds.

Primary Router: Linksys WRT54GS v1.1 /w dd-wrt.v24_mini_generic (r46640 May 13th 2021) ; new Panasonic capacitors Feb 11th 2020 | Backup Router: Linksys WRT54GS v6 /w dd-wrt.v24_micro_generic (r46640 May 13th 2021)
fredex1
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 1:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
I keep my cable modem, router, network switch all on a 875VA UPS, so they hardly ever go down.

Also, as you can see in my original post I'm still running v23SP2, so you can tell I don't feel compelled to upgrade to the latest version when the one I have is working fine.
barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 1:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
Congrats...

That's my biggest bitch (not really a bitch).. My uptime never goes past 30 days or so cause I am always trying the new builds.

It gets in your blood.

And you are absolutely correct... DD-WRT Rocks.

I'm a PC Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
My uptime follows Eko's development cycles.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 4:58    Post subject: Power failures SUCK! Reply with quote
Our power goes out a LOT, but I'm sure I'll get a good uptime eventually. I don't plan on flashing a bunch of different builds because I have all the features I want and the access point won't take them. So far, I have to agree dd-wrt does indeed ROCK!!! Twisted Evil
CaScAdE
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 22:45    Post subject: Re: DD_WRT rocks! Reply with quote
fredex1 wrote:

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=55875#55875

ever came accross http://www.embedded-uptime-project.com/?seite=toplist ? Smile

Webcam Kiel
redhawk0
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 23:52    Post subject: Re: DD_WRT rocks! Reply with quote
CaScAdE wrote:
fredex1 wrote:

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=55875#55875

ever came accross http://www.embedded-uptime-project.com/?seite=toplist ? Smile

CaScAde...that is impressive 450+ days....obviously this individual is not a tester....I can't seem to get past 2-20 before updating my units....someday...I'll be too old to test and just "settle in" to a build...but until then...I am having fun debugging issues with the devs.

Do you have any Asus 520GU units in your arsenal...do you have web cam's working on them.

redhawk

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 0:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
One of the options I see on the dd-wrt firmware, is the option for a scheduled reboot. By habit, I have mine reboot every morning. Does this really help in any way, or should a person just leave it alone? It seems that the speed and responsivness of the gui and router in general, become better and/or faster after a reboot. Is this true, or just a false sense of it actually making things faster?
barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
5 ACES wrote:
One of the options I see on the dd-wrt firmware, is the option for a scheduled reboot. By habit, I have mine reboot every morning. Does this really help in any way, or should a person just leave it alone? It seems that the speed and responsivness of the gui and router in general, become better and/or faster after a reboot. Is this true, or just a false sense of it actually making things faster?

I see no slow downs because the device has been running..

I had 13 days of uptime under my belt, then wrecked it all updating the FW on my main routers just tonight.

I do notice that after a router re-boot, the wireless signal strengths (in regards to client connections shown in the router status page) are real high (90%+), after a while, they come back down to normal.

Edit: Which reminds me... Gotta backup the configs..

Last edited by barryware on Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:08; edited 1 time in total
redhawk0
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
5 ACES wrote:

It depends on your build...I remember doing daily reboots with the older V24 RC5 and Post-RC6 builds. The problems of memory leaks were fixed in the RC7 builds...so I discontinued the daily rebooting. (WLAND process would grow if memory serves me correctly)....so...anyway, it shouldn't be needed any longer.

I have some builds that ran 20 days with no issues. (before updating to a newer version.)...but that is about all the longer I get on any specific build.

redhawk

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
redhawk0 wrote:
5 ACES wrote:

It depends on your build...I remember doing daily reboots with the older V24 RC5 and Post-RC6 builds. The problems of memory leaks were fixed in the RC7 builds...so I discontinued the daily rebooting. (WLAND process would grow if memory serves me correctly)....so...anyway, it shouldn't be needed any longer.

I have some builds that ran 20 days with no issues. (before updating to a newer version.)...but that is about all the longer I get on any specific build.

redhawk

Cool! Thanks! That's something that's good to know...
CaScAdE
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 13:55    Post subject: Re: DD_WRT rocks! Reply with quote
redhawk0 wrote:
CaScAde...that is impressive 450+ days....obviously this individual is not a tester....I can't seem to get past 2-20 before updating my units....someday...I'll be too old to test and just "settle in" to a build...but until then...I am having fun debugging issues with the devs.

Not that much impressive i think, just lazy people that like stuff running Smile
I have other devel boxes... Those in my sig are some that need to run, don't want to mess up with stuff i have to rely on. And of course: never tuch a running system :)

redhawk0 wrote:
Do you have any Asus 520GU units in your arsenal...do you have web cam's working on them.

just 500gP and those are working in productive environment... one with dd-wrt as webcam and WDS-master and anotherone with openwrt, atheros card, 2.6er kernel and highdef webcam Smile

Webcam Kiel
fredex1
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 4:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well, since my whole family uses the LAN, if I was constantly messing with the router I'd get killed on a regular basis. Smile So I find something that works then leave it alone. Here's today's stats:

Firmware: DD-WRT v23 SP2 (09/15/06) vpn
Time: 23:46:32 up 166 days, 14:38, load average: 0.06, 0.03, 0.00

I might upgrade to v24, some day, if some compelling reason arises. In the meantime I'm a happy camper with v23 sp2. My hat is off to all of you who worked to make it happen!
gaganwalia
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
well, its true tha dd-wrt rocks, and i think this word is not enough to give this firmware the proper credit.

i am a tester myself and keep on upgrading and folling around with my router so never crossed the 20 day limit on my personal router. but my home router has been up for 322 days now.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: