Linksys WRT54G2 now supported

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 76, 77, 78  Next
nokia3310e
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 15:54    Post subject: Revert to original Linksys firmware? Reply with quote
Hi guys,

Firstly, I wanted to say thanks to the developers for the time and effort spent creating this firmware.

Secondly, I was interested to know if there is likely to be any way of reverting back to original Linksys firmware like what exists for WRT54G v7.2 and v8. (From what I have read I understand that the WRT54G2 is very similar to the WRT54Gv8).

I really would like to try this firmware on my WRT54G2 but would feel better knowing I could restore the original firmware if I needed to.
Sponsor
redhawk0
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 16:23    Post subject: Re: Revert to original Linksys firmware? Reply with quote
nokia3310e wrote:
Hi guys,

Firstly, I wanted to say thanks to the developers for the time and effort spent creating this firmware.

Secondly, I was interested to know if there is likely to be any way of reverting back to original Linksys firmware like what exists for WRT54G v7.2 and v8. (From what I have read I understand that the WRT54G2 is very similar to the WRT54Gv8).

I really would like to try this firmware on my WRT54G2 but would feel better knowing I could restore the original firmware if I needed to.

It is something to be developed...Tornado will work on it as time permits. (but there are other projects ahead of this one right now)

redhawk

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 16:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for the quick reply Surprised
jmh9072
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 21:06    Post subject: Re: Revert to original Linksys firmware? Reply with quote
redhawk0 wrote:
nokia3310e wrote:
Hi guys,

It is something to be developed...Tornado will work on it as time permits. (but there are other projects ahead of this one right now)

redhawk

You can (probably) load the stock firmware for the WRT54G v8.1 on it. I know it works on my v3 (except for the switch ports since it doesn't have the driver, but that shouldn't be a problem for these units).

Se7en is Darker...
gamer.pro.2000
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 21:52    Post subject: Eko = God Reply with quote
Eko, you just got +1 internetz for the day for this. I'm going to flash my friend's WRT54G2 tonight, because he was freaking over the lack of DD-WRT support after seeing how amazing my WRT54G v4 router runs:). Eko, you are my hero. lol.
redhawk0
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 21:57    Post subject: Re: Revert to original Linksys firmware? Reply with quote
jmh9072 wrote:

You can (probably) load the stock firmware for the WRT54G v8.1 on it. I know it works on my v3 (except for the switch ports since it doesn't have the driver, but that shouldn't be a problem for these units).

But your v3 unit started with a cfe...not a bsp. This G2v1 unit had a bsp that needed the prep and killer to get it ready for linux....the V8.1 comes with cfe linux ready.

I wouldn't risk trying to dump linux box firmware on a unit that had bsp to begin with...unless you have the means to JTAG recover it.

But..thats just MHO....If I have time...I'll try it...I have JTAG'd this unit already to recover after reflashing the CFE that I modified for the boardflags variable.

redhawk

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 23:11    Post subject: Re: Revert to original Linksys firmware? Reply with quote
redhawk0 wrote:
jmh9072 wrote:

But your v3 unit started with a cfe...not a bsp. This G2v1 unit had a bsp that needed the prep and killer to get it ready for linux....the V8.1 comes with cfe linux ready.

I wouldn't risk trying to dump linux box firmware on a unit that had bsp to begin with...unless you have the means to JTAG recover it.

But..thats just MHO....If I have time...I'll try it...I have JTAG'd this unit already to recover after reflashing the CFE that I modified for the boardflags variable.

redhawk

I'm sure it will work. Once you use the VxWorks Killer, replaces the BSP with a CFE, so your router becomes a standard Linux-compatible broadcom board. You should be able to install whatever firmware you want, provided that the image is compatible with the hardware.

Se7en is Darker...
Doramius
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 0:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm with jmh on this one. I was intentionally bricking mine to see what would happen. I loaded the flash from the v8 I have. I will say it is NOT very stable. Of course it may be because I didn't exactly do it right, but hey, this is my first time experimenting with a G2. I tried a v5 CFE.....No Go!! Just an FYI on that. I really didn't think it was going to work anyway, but as I said -I was experimenting and got a crazy idea. Wink
jmh9072
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 2:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
Doramius wrote:
I'm with jmh on this one. I was intentionally bricking mine to see what would happen. I loaded the flash from the v8 I have. I will say it is NOT very stable. Of course it may be because I didn't exactly do it right, but hey, this is my first time experimenting with a G2. I tried a v5 CFE.....No Go!! Just an FYI on that. I really didn't think it was going to work anyway, but as I said -I was experimenting and got a crazy idea. Wink

Thanks for the support!

Here... reload the correct CFE and then TFTP the attached image... Let's see if it works. :D

Does everything work properly (specifically the switch)?

FW_WRT54G_8.1.09.02_US_20071227.bin
 Description:
Stock firmware for the WRT54G v8.1 (header removed).

Download
 Filename:  FW_WRT54G_8.1.09.02_US_20071227.bin
 Filesize:  1.75 MB
 Downloaded:  961 Time(s)

Se7en is Darker...
redhawk0
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
OK...I understand what you are trying to do now. I was confusing bsp and cfe on the v8.1 unit (I was first thinking cfe on v8.1 but firmware was for a bsp...my error....(more like brain hemorrhage moment)
I was wrong...I hope I didn't cause any confusion.

For the short term if this works...then go for it. Personally, I'll wait to test it with the proper revert as soon as it is available. I don't plan on returning to original linky firmware though...I've got the "dd-wrt addiction" now.

redhawk

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 16:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yeah, I got the DD-WRT addiction too. I think that's why I'm intentionally bricking units. Just gives me a chance to revive it and then reload DD-WRT on it. I probably should find a help group, but I really don't want to stop the addiction. Razz

Anyway, v2 doesn't work either. jmh, were you posting that file for me to try out? Or is that for nokia?

Ahh, forget it. I'll try it out later tonight. The WRT54G2 is a tough little machine.
nokia3310e
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 18:51    Post subject: Re: Revert to original Linksys firmware? Reply with quote
jmh9072 wrote:
redhawk0 wrote:
nokia3310e wrote:
Hi guys,

redhawk

I think I may wait until there is a revert file specifically for the WRT54G2. You see, I would like to return the machine to exactly how I bought it if I have any issues with DD-WRT.

The trouble is that because of the size of flash ram I am limited to either DD-WRT micro or original firmware. Without the revert file I would be kinda stuck until one appears - I don't feel confident putting firmware for a different device on mine (I don't know too much about BSPs or CFEs yet).
jmh9072
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 21:51    Post subject: Re: Revert to original Linksys firmware? Reply with quote
nokia3310e wrote:
I think I may wait until there is a revert file specifically for the WRT54G2. You see, I would like to return the machine to exactly how I bought it if I have any issues with DD-WRT.

The trouble is that because of the size of flash ram I am limited to either DD-WRT micro or original firmware. Without the revert file I would be kinda stuck until one appears - I don't feel confident putting firmware for a different device on mine (I don't know too much about BSPs or CFEs yet).

I understand where you're coming from. You'd like to be able to return the device to stock condition in case something goes wrong. The image I posted is a stock Linksys Linux image. It's as close to "stock" as you'll be able to get at the moment. I'm sure a true revert procedure to get your unit back to VxWorks will be created sometime in the near future.

Doramius wrote:
jmh, were you posting that file for me to try out? Or is that for nokia?

Ahh, forget it. I'll try it out later tonight. The WRT54G2 is a tough little machine.

Yep! That was for you. I was just wondering if it was fully compatible.

redhawk0 wrote:
I was wrong...I hope I didn't cause any confusion.

For the short term if this works...then go for it. Personally, I'll wait to test it with the proper revert as soon as it is available. I don't plan on returning to original linky firmware though...I've got the "dd-wrt addiction" now.

It's no problem. Don't worry about it; we all have those moments.

And I know what you mean about the addiction. Very Happy

Se7en is Darker...
Doramius
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 23:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks jmh. I'll check it out.
haltenberg
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 0:17    Post subject: PPTP Reply with quote
I just got a new WRT54G2 and flashed it with dd-wrt. The reason I got it is to set up PPTP and after flashing according to instructions in this thread I do not see PPTP in DD-WRT settings. Is this a limitation of micro version?

What do I do now? I assume I cannot return this router back to the store, since it's already flashed with dd-wrt? If it cannot do PPTP, I don't need it... Please advise!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 76, 77, 78  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 4 of 78
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: