WRT54G-TM NON-JTAG CFE-Updater

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 19, 20, 21  Next
sebag84
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 13:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi, first of all great job and sorry for my english...

I'm a newby in this and I would like to ask some questions before flashing my WRT54G. My unit is not a T-Movil edition, I think is just linksys... and the software version is V8... sould I try to flash it? I want to flash it because I need to make a wireless bridge to enlarge my wifi net... Another question, to make a wireless bridge, all routers needs to be WDS or just the one we are using as a bridge? because I have this WRT54G that I want to flash and a "D-link DI-624M" and I don't think this one has WDN...
Sponsor
Luniz2k1
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 18:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
sebag84 wrote:
Hi, first of all great job and sorry for my english...

I'm a newby in this and I would like to ask some questions before flashing my WRT54G. My unit is not a T-Movil edition, I think is just linksys... and the software version is V8... sould I try to flash it? I want to flash it because I need to make a wireless bridge to enlarge my wifi net... Another question, to make a wireless bridge, all routers needs to be WDS or just the one we are using as a bridge? because I have this WRT54G that I want to flash and a "D-link DI-624M" and I don't think this one has WDN...

The WRT54Gv8 is nothing like the WRT54G-TM. Just because the 1st part of the model number WRT54G is the same, this does not mean you can use the same flashing instructions. To flash the WRT54Gv8, you need to follow this: How_To_Flash_the_WRT54Gv8

Please open your own topic with your questions as this one is meant for the WRT54G-TM.

Got OpenDNS?
magritte
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 19:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
Luniz2k1 wrote:
Your best bet would be to open the router and upload some pics of the chips inside of it to determine if anything can be done with it, and if it has a JTAG port, a backup of the CFE would help in getting DD-WRT to work on it.

I'm thinking I may just return it and pick up a WRT54GL as it's less hassle. I had signed up for the unlimited UMA usage on Fido and if you keep it for 90 days you get the router for free (minus taxes). I then learned you can still use UMA without signing up for that plan and I don't really need the unlimited daytime minutes, especially the phone has extremely disappointing Wifi reception and can't pick up the WiFi network where I work. I still thought 90 days of the service would get me the Router for $45, but then I realized they don't refund the taxes and I can pick up a WRT54GL for around the same price or just slightly more off craigslist or a local store.

I believe I can still return the router and cancel the service, but I'm afraid opening the router may make it harder or impossible to return it, as it looks like there is a sticker that may get broken when I try to open it. As such, I'm not inclined to do so. Sorry. If I end up keeping the router for some reason, then I will open it and take pictures as it may be of some use to other users who pick up this router from Fido.

Thanks!
Axel Stone
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 2:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
It worked on my TM till I bricked it today. Mine was an older TM and the hardware seemed to match a 54G v4.

If your TM matches a 54G v4 then it should work fine.
kongone
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
I tried to follow the directions
however I can not get into the router and my
internet shut down
so I went back in reset my ip address to allow vista to pick it and i still cannot get into the router however my phone does recognize the router
can anyone help me ?
BinkyBill
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
Okay...I'm a newbie to router upgrades, so bear with me if this question is just too elementary.

I have a WRT54G-TM that I am happily using for wifi and T-mobile phone. I've been poking around this forum and others for about an hour and am intrigued by the possibility of upgrading the firmware. I've done things like that before.

However, my simple question is WHY? What everyday advantages will I experience? Faster internet? Better phone call quality? Greater WiFI distance?

Again, sorry if that's just a real ignorant question, but I humbly beseech your expertise (in plain English, please!)
fustball
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 20:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
ok, i have the wrtu54g-tm which is t-mobile's brand of linksys i guess. will the same procedure work with the different version or is there a different topic out there that i haven't seen. normally i wouldn't care and would just do it anyways to see what happenes but it is my roommate's router and i would be messing with his phone system. this is the router i am using http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satellite?c=L_Product_C2&childpagename=US%2FLayout&cid=1175241064679&pagename=Linksys%2FCommon%2FVisitorWrapper
any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks
Tornado
DD-WRT Developer/Maintainer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 4:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
@fustball

I would not try it until it has been tested and approved...Im pretty sure it will not work, as I believe this router has a U-BOOT bootloader on it. I have not done any work with this router.

My preferred parallel jtag adapter:
TIAO Parallel adapter

Tjtag website - http://tjtag.com

Compiling DD-WRT on:
AMD Phenom II X6 1090T @ 3926.667 Mhz

Aptosid X64 - Debian SID X64
Ubuntu 10.10 X64 - Arch X64
ndundu
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 23:11    Post subject: Works Great Reply with quote
I bought this Router off ebay for $45 including shipping. Beats paying $70 for an already modded one =). I am adventerous so decided to modd it myself. The instructions in the first page were PERFECT, Follow them exactly as posted. I got a bit of a scare because at first when flashing the CFE Updater my router session timed out, and i thought F@!# i bricked it! But then i reloaded the page and it was fine, proceeded to try again and it flashed fine. Mines didn't take 5 minutes, took about 2 and a half, and i knew this by waiting for the response from ping -t 192.168.1.1. The rest went very smooth, i uploaded the DD-WRT v24-sp2 (09/19/0Cool mega with the TFTP Utlity, and a minute or so later i saw the router reboot, and i was able to log into the interface. THANKS for this great guide.

As side notes
I am using Verizon FIOS 20mbps down/5mbps up. and was previously using a pentium 3 (1 ghz 512mb sdram) runnig on PfSense, which worked great but i wanted a less noisy, less heat producing, power consuming router, that would still let me run an OpenVPN server(i have yet to configure OpenVPN). I did some speedtest and the router is handling my 20mbps down and 5mbps up perfectly, no slow downs, exact same speeds as my old router.

One small woe i had, and this might be of a hint to other FIOS users, i have Ethernet coming directly into my house instead of MOCA(Ethernet over Coax), and my old router had been in service for a while, i tried releasing the IP and that wasn't enough for DD-WRT to get a DHCP from Verizon, so i cloned the mac adress of my old router, and got an ip instantly.
n2speed125
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 19:28    Post subject: WRT54g-TM Reply with quote
Received this router from tmo on thursday at 4 and flashed it to wrt-dd firmware within an hour of unpacking.. Everything works great and love all the new features.. My blackberry is VERY happy and the signal strength is great everywhere in my house.. Couldn't ask for more for 30 bucks from tmo..
Doramius
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 5:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
FYI - *****For the WRTU54G-TM***** This model is replacing the WRT54G-TM. There seems to be quiet word from Linksys & T-Mobile that the WRT54G-TM production has been discontinued and all existing stock is to be sold.

The WRTU54G-TM is the new model that is being sold for around $70 - $80.

I haven't looked yet to see what the differences are. For all I know, it's probably near the same thing, but just a new body design and maybe a change in the firmware. I really don't know.

BTW - I just got a WRT54G-TM and flashed it with DD-WRT. However, I did have a slight bump. After I did the CFE, I had to do a power cycle. It pinged fine, but wouldn't accept a TFTP. After the power cycle, I could TFTP. Rolling Eyes

Anyway, the file loaded super fast. Compared to several other models, this unit runs extremely fast.

Before and after screenshots:
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
Regarding flashing the wrtu54g-tm

Tornado wrote:
@fustball

I would not try it until it has been tested and approved...Im pretty sure it will not work, as I believe this router has a U-BOOT bootloader on it. I have not done any work with this router.

LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
BobSmith1
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 23:20    Post subject: WOL works with v24-SP2 build 10600 Reply with quote
Luniz2k1 wrote:

* Download the DD-WRT firmware (MUST be v24-RC5 or newer - v24-SP2 build 10404 is suggested)

I found that WOL doesn't work properly with the recommended SVN firmware download (v24-SP2 build 10404). I've installed v24-SP2 build 10600 and WOL works properly.

This one may have its own problems that I haven't seen (it's a nightly build), but it solved my WOL issues.
Luniz2k1
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 3:59    Post subject: Re: WOL works with v24-SP2 build 10600 Reply with quote
BobSmith1 wrote:
Luniz2k1 wrote:

* Download the DD-WRT firmware (MUST be v24-RC5 or newer - v24-SP2 build 10404 is suggested)

I found that WOL doesn't work properly with the recommended SVN firmware download (v24-SP2 build 10404). I've installed v24-SP2 build 10600 and WOL works properly.

This one may have its own problems that I haven't seen (it's a nightly build), but it solved my WOL issues.

That was the current build that was out at the time that the guide was written. It does not mean you MUST use that specific build. I only suggested it because some people tend to use older builds that have bugs that the newer builds have fixed. People do the same thing when looking to flash other models such as the WRT54GL. They look at the supported devices list and see a specific build listed to flash with, but what they dont understand is that the build that is listed is usually the build that 1st supported that model. So they go looking for those older builds to flash with, not knowing that they can just use the latest builds out there.

I do not plan on updating the guide every time a new build comes out. So I will add notes to it saying that people need to find out what the latest build is and use it.

Note to new users: Do your research and find out what the latest build is and use it from the start, unless there are issues with the latest build preventing the WRT54G-TM from operating properly, then go to a previous build.

Got OpenDNS?
moondookie
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:59    Post subject: works like a charm Reply with quote
the first install was simple and took minutes, I have since updated 2 other wrt54g-tm's.
thnaks for all your great work!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 19, 20, 21  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 3 of 21
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: