ASUS WL-520 GU TX power output?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
redhawk0
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 10:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
Are you sure you have the Physical and Virtual names correct.

You are trying to repeat from a host named dd-wrt and this unit is broadcasting linksys_sps.

If your host AP is named dd-wrt then this is correct...but if it is linksys_sps...then you have the physical and virtual backwards.

You didn't tell me the host AP's SSID name.

redhawk

DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm using AutoAP in the startup script and have encryption disabled for the physical ssid. I just want to be able to use WPA with my virtual AP.
redhawk0
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 13:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
Titus Pullo wrote:
I'm using AutoAP in the startup script and have encryption disabled for the physical ssid. I just want to be able to use WPA with my virtual AP.

So...the name of your Internet providing host is named "dd-wrt"?

I suggest you try not using the AutoAP function....and manually configure the SSID's for both the physical and the virtual.

Start without ANY encryption...make sure it works then add it later.

Use the WLAN_Repeater instructions
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Linking_Routers

redhawk

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 13:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
ok thanks. Later today I will try manually try to set my host AP and the repeater and see if that works.

However, the only reason I bought the WL-520GU was so that I could repeat the strongest open network when I stay in hotels since I travel a lot due to my job. AutoAP works wonderful except for this encryption issue.
redhawk0
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 13:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
Titus Pullo wrote:
ok thanks. Later today I will try manually try to set my host AP and the repeater and see if that works.

However, the only reason I bought the WL-520GU was so that I could repeat the strongest open network when I stay in hotels since I travel a lot due to my job. AutoAP works wonderful except for this encryption issue.

Yep...I do the same thing...except I manually set my physical SSID. I use the laptop to scan for the strongest...then plug in the SSID. Nothing else needs to be changed since the physical is not encrypted and it is the only thing that changes from hotel to hotel. If you select the strongest...it may be on another hotel's captive network and won't give you connection until you enter un/pw for their captive page.

Another thing I have noticed.....if you use Skype. Exit it first before trying to logon to a captive page in some hotels....it won't give you the captive portal gui page otherwise.

Our only difference is that I use WPA TKIP+AES....not WPA2. (really not needed)

redhawk

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 15:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
Excellent. Thanks for the great tips. I can't wait to try it out once I get home today. I will report back.

BTW, what do think of my other settings like the ACK timing?

Wireless>>Advanced Settings: The settings on this page?

Administration>>Management: Should I turn "Routing" OFF

Setup>>Advanced Routing: It is currently a "Gateway" but what if I selected "Router"

I also wanted to say that I disable SSID broadcast on my physical ssid on the repeater, if that would make a difference.
redhawk0
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 16:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
Titus Pullo wrote:
Excellent. Thanks for the great tips. I can't wait to try it out once I get home today. I will report back.

BTW, what do think of my other settings like the ACK timing?

Wireless>>Advanced Settings: The settings on this page?

Administration>>Management: Should I turn "Routing" OFF

Setup>>Advanced Routing: It is currently a "Gateway" but what if I selected "Router"

I also wanted to say that I disable SSID broadcast on my physical ssid on the repeater, if that would make a difference.

If you are within 200 meters of your source (and you probably are) set the Ack timing to 0.

Leave the Routing turned on.

On the Wireless Advanced tab...set your beacon to 75 or 100 (default) Turn OFF CTS protection, Make sure you set Preamble to Auto. (some builds of firmware it was set to Long by default)

And...you can't disable the SSID broadcast of your Physical....you can of your Virtual (which is your repeater)....but what's the point...WPA encryption is enough to prevent breakins.

redhawk

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 16:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks again for the confirmations and the fast reply. I will test it out soon.
Titus Pullo
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 20:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
redhawk0,

I did as you stated, I manually entered an open network SSID in the physical interface (wl0), removed the autoap script from the startup, and rebooted the router.

WPA will still not work when I try to connect to the virtual interface (wl0.1) and I tried WPA, WPA2, TKIP, AES, TKIP+AES . I tried WEP and connected with no problem, but get an "associating" status whenever I try a WPA flavor (it just doesn't want to connect).
redhawk0
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 21:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
Titus Pullo wrote:
redhawk0,

I did as you stated, I manually entered an open network SSID in the physical interface (wl0), removed the autoap script from the startup, and rebooted the router.

WPA will still not work when I try to connect to the virtual interface (wl0.1) and I tried WPA, WPA2, TKIP, AES, TKIP+AES . I tried WEP and connected with no problem, but get an "associating" status whenever I try a WPA flavor (it just doesn't want to connect).

I am assuming your wireless adapter is capable of WPA. I had a netgear network card that would only work with WEP...it wasn't WPA capable.

redhawk

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 2:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yes, its capable because if I set the WL-520GU as an access point, I can connect to it with WPA2 without issue.

Its only when I switch the mode to Repeater.
redhawk0
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
Titus Pullo wrote:
Yes, its capable because if I set the WL-520GU as an access point, I can connect to it with WPA2 without issue.

Its only when I switch the mode to Repeater.

Are you trying to switch between modes without a reset in between. I have had trouble with this...going from Repeater to Repeater Bridge...and/or Repeater to AP mode without doing a reset of the router before configuring.

Maybe it is something as simple as that.

It is where I would start anyway....do a full hard reset....then follow the WLAN_Repeater instructions from the wiki.....once you get it working...then add in the AutoAP if you want to use it. This is the first time I have heard that WPA(2) isn't working with Repeater modes (other than with specific builds)...and it has been working for sure with all the 9856 builds on up. (at least for me)

So...either it is a hardware specific issue (I don't have a WL-520GU to test) or it is a firmware configuration issue.
[EDIT...again] I just talked with Eko...he doesn't think it could be unit specific for this WPA problem....it is most likely a configuration issue.

[EDIT] - I just ordered one of these from Newegg....I'll be able to test this model in the future.

redhawk

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks redhawk0. Newegg is where I got mine ($30 rebate).
redhawk0
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 16:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
Titus....I found a problem with the 10509+ builds and WPA encryption...only in Repeater mode.

Use 10431 and you should be fine.

check out this thread for the details.
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=39879

redhawk

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 18:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
redhawk,

Thanks so much for getting back to me. Just yesterday I was talking to "Patwood" and he stated he was using 10137 and had no problems in repeater mode with WPA.

I couldn't find 10137 in the downloads only 10152.

I will try 10431 later today and hopefully it should solve the issue.

Thanks again mate!

*EDIT* redhawk, I looked at the thread you mentioned above. Right now I have 10509, the physical's encryption disabled, and just trying to run WPA on the virtual, but I'm unable to connect to the virtual.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 2 of 3
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: