DIR300/AR430W/AR335W-preSP2-testing-release

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 47, 48, 49  Next
Sash
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 20:11    Post subject: DIR300/AR430W/AR335W-preSP2-testing-release Reply with quote
hi folks

to the fact that many of u(and me also) had some issius with the v.24 SP1 i had triggered BS to fix some of the problems i had (THX for that).

i fact we cant tell if all the major bugs were fixed so i asked him for a public "beta" test of the new code.

i suggest only experienced users to test and to reported

major known improvements:

http crash fix
    new HAL incl WDS backward compatibility (eg AirOS)
    some stuff we fixed and i cant remember*g*
    and many more

as u already know: test at your own risk

&
RTFM/STFW
&
Throw some buzzwords into the WIKI search Exclamation

Last edited by Sash on Sat Dec 20, 2008 8:11; edited 1 time in total
Sponsor
axelm
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 22:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
Do I need to clear nvram and reconfigure everything if I come from SP1? Please say no, I am lazy.
Sash
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 23:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
axelm wrote:
Do I need to clear nvram and reconfigure everything if I come from SP1? Please say no, I am lazy.

normaly its not required. but in this case i suggest not to report problems without having resetted to defaults!

&
RTFM/STFW
&

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 0:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
it's a champ! Still testing, but I cleared nvram after the flash on my ar430w and went to town resetting it up. Went without any hiccups at all. Test of time now.

Thanks! :)

update: still a champ!

update: 2 hours now. web gui is still holding strong. no lags or timeouts there. But I did step out for half an hour. I came back to find my AIM reconnected. I'm just running a constant ping with no timelogging, and it scrolled enough for the dropout to not be seen, but unfortunately it looks like it's still there. As seen in sp1, the router (at least wireless part) would drop out maybe once every few hours for a few minutes and then come back.
johnc60
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 7:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
What exactly are you pinging? From where to where?

-John
ziddey
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 19:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
i've got three pings going usually. one to the router. one to the router i'm connecting to (client mode + vap). and one to 4.2.2.1.

Yep, lost connection again last night. Drats.
katapaltes
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 2:22    Post subject: NOTE Reply with quote
Note that the files in Sash's original post (above) do not appear unless you're logged in.
-katapaltes
remaker
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 5:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
I am sorry to report that the ARP unicast blocking reported by johnc60 and remaker (me) STILL exists in

DD-WRT v24 std (c) 2008 NewMedia-NET GmbH
Release: 10/07/08 (SVN revision: 10474)

With the default setting (I only added the SSID and WEP key).

To reproduce

Ping WIRED to WIRELESS side
Clear the ARP cache on the WIRED side
Pings stop (ARP cache in WIRED side remains incomplete since unicast ARP replies are blocked)

To fix: Clear ARP cache on WIRELESS side or reset WIRELESS interface to cause a gratuitous broadcast ARP.

I will test again in a moment with the security completely off.

As an aside, the HTTP interface hangs as well. I can only access the box by telnet. "ps" command shows the HTTPD running, but I get no web response. It did eventually provide a web page after a few minutes of waiting.

As a reminder, these bugs are already reported in both MANTIS and SVN.

SVN: http://svn.dd-wrt.com:8000/dd-wrt/ticket/672
MANTIS: http://www.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/bugtracker/view.php?id=3123

Last edited by remaker on Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:06; edited 1 time in total
remaker
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 5:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
I changed the SSID back to the default and turned off security and i can still reliably reproduce the failure of unicast arp replies to go from the wireless side to the wired side.

Going from wired side to wired side, I cannot show the problem. Unicast ARP seems to traverse the wired switch just fine, but unicast ARPs will not go from the wireless to the wired side.

This renders the AR430W (and presumably the DIR-300) unusable as an access point.
katapaltes
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:32    Post subject: Tried as Client Bridge Reply with quote
I have not tried the AR430W as an AP with this latest pre-SP2 build, but I have tried it as a Client Bridge. (I've set up Client Bridge several times in the past.)

My base is an Airport Extreme set up with very standard (boring) settings: Channel 6, no WDS set up, and I tried both WEP and WPA on both routers. I set up the AR430W as a Client Bridge per this page: http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Wireless_Bridge and the PC (connected by Ethernet to the AR430W) can't connect to the Internet, or the Airport Extreme Win32-based administration utility. If I do lots of stuff like a combination of:
1. Turning off routers
2. Disabling/re-enabling my NIC in Windows
3. Performing a Status / Wireless / Site Survey / Join on the AR430W
I can finally get a connection after several minutes of work, but what I'm doing is so random that I can't tell you what worked. I can say that no router or computer settings were changed when doing all of this.

I can also say that while I can't connect to the Internet from a PC on the Client Bridged-router or connect to the Airport Extreme router, I can move the Ethernet cable from the AR430W to the Airport Extreme and *immediately* I can connect back to the AR430W web interface. So maybe it's working in one direction or something?

Many thanks for your efforts on this (cheap) frustrating device.
-katapaltes

P.S. Once I get it working, if I reboot the PC, I have to start the whole process over. Smile
remaker
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
This sounds like it might be the same problem as ours (unicast ARP reply does not traverse from the wireless to wired side), only in reverse - the Airport Extreme ARP reply does not reach the PC (which is the "wired" device in this case).

When you move the PC to the wired side, tyou bypas the bug. See if the PC has the IP/MAC combo for the Airport Extreme appearing in the PC arp table (arp -a) on the wires side.

When it is NOT working, if you could force the Airport Express to make a gratuitous broadcast ARP across the wire and hence the wireless) it would probably restore the connection. I don't know how to reset the Airport Extreme interface, though. Once the wired device loses the ARP entry, it is dead in the water until a broadcast ARP happens.
katapaltes
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 13:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
I left both routers on overnight with my PC connected to the Client Bridge AR430W and I couldn't reach the Internet in the morning. Rebooting the Airport Extreme router caused everything to work again. I'll try the arp -a command later; thanks much for the tips.
-katapaltes
Sash
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 13:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
i will try to verify this problem next week when my university tests are done. the porblem from our side is that BS cant reproduce them so i will have to try my best Smile
&
RTFM/STFW
&

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 2:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
I just got one of these *pretty* ASUS WL-520GU routers at Newegg for $30 after rebate:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833320023
It has a USB port for twice as much DD-WRT/OpenWRT fun! This way, I don't have to think so much about this (PitA) AR430W.
-katapaltes
remaker
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 7:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
I just wanted to mention that I repeated the above test with a WRT54G V5 with DD-WRT V24SP1 and it worked every time, without fail, when the ARP table was cleared on the wired side.

I really want these AR430Ws to work, but I suspect I might be better off just throwing them away Smile

Good luck with exams, Sash!

If there is any specific diagnostic work I can do here, don't hesitate to ask.
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 47, 48, 49  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 49
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: