Modem <> Router Routing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Spent
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 19:53    Post subject: Modem <> Router Routing Reply with quote
Hi there

I'm by no means a novice with computers, however routing hasn't always been my strong point. Anyway, I've a WRT160n with v24 sp1 and it's working quite nicely. I also have an AM200 ADSL modem plugged into the WAN port and am having a problem getting them to route. The intenet is working as I've gone directly into the modem and accessed it.

The pictures below show the current setup. I'm unable to ping the router from my machine:

Sponsor
switch
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 20:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ah, there's your problem!

BTW, you shouldn't have blanked out the LAN settings - they were rather important in this context. Nevertheless the pictures contained all the info needed :)

You need to set the router's local LAN address to something other than 192.168.1.x. Try 10.10.10.x or 172.16.40.x or 10.175.32.x or 172.16.214.x or... you get the point. As long as it does not overlap with the 192.168.1.x network your modem is configured to hand out (NOTE: the modem's network will overlap with any IP in the 192.168.1.1-192.168.1.254 range), everything is fine.

Last edited by switch on Mon Sep 29, 2008 20:04; edited 1 time in total
olmari
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 20:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
You have to disable DHCP server from your modem too...

Also good point from switch that it's good to change also modemds LAN-IP if you want to still have access to your modem :)

So bridged mode is correct at modem, but still you need to disable modems DHCP service, let the router take IP from your ISP...

Last edited by olmari on Mon Sep 29, 2008 20:05; edited 1 time in total
switch
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 20:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
olmari wrote:

Uhm... No, he does not need to do that!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 20:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
switch wrote:
olmari wrote:

Uhm... No, he does not need to do that!

Yes if he are going to leave modem bridged, which is also best choice...
switch
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 20:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
Erm I do agree there, but if he doesn't know much about networking and has no special needs like port forwarding, it might be better if he just let the modem do the PPPoE/PPPoA connection.

What olmari is saying is that the modem can be configured to simply bridge traffic to your router; but this requires you setup your PPPoE/PPPoA w/e connection on your router;'s WAN port. If you're familiar with what I'm saying here then go ahead. Otherwise leave it for now and come back when you're willing to tinker with it. ;)

To simply fix your current problem, use another IP class on your router's LAN side.

Last edited by switch on Mon Sep 29, 2008 20:13; edited 1 time in total
olmari
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 20:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
switch wrote:
Erm I do agree there, but if he doesn't know much about networking and has no special needs like port forwarding, it might be better if he just let the modem do the PPPoE/PPPoA connection.

What olmari is saying is that the modem can be configured to simply bridge traffic to your router; but this requires you setup your PPPoE/PPPoA w/e connection on your router;'s WAN port. If you're familiar with what I'm saying here then go ahead. Otherwise leave it for now and come back when you're willing to tinker with it. Wink

According to the picture he doesn't have any type of PPP connection, just plain "DHCP giving IP by ISP"... So why do double-NATting, that just slows things down, also no port forwarding will work at all, even with UPnP so that can interfere from simple gaming to p2p stuff and everythign between...

ADD: Also according to the picture, all he needs to do is to disable modemds DHCP service.. I don't know why does it can even be enabled while connection method is beidged, those kinda fights together allways by nature...
switch
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 20:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
olmari wrote:
switch wrote:

What olmari is saying is that the modem can be configured to simply bridge traffic to your router; but this requires you setup your PPPoE/PPPoA w/e connection on your router;'s WAN port. If you're familiar with what I'm saying here then go ahead. Otherwise leave it for now and come back when you're willing to tinker with it. Wink

According to the picture he doesn't have any type of PPP connection, just plain "DHCP giving IP by ISP"... So why do double-NATting, that just slows things down, also no port forwarding will work at all, even with UPnP so that can interfere from simple gaming to p2p stuff and everythign between...

The settings show that he has a modem (connected directly to the router's WAN port) that is giving him (i.e. his router) an IP address on the WAN port. Same as any DSL/ADSL/PPPoE/oA modem in routing mode.

Double NATing slows things down, yes, but how do you know that modem isn't doing ADSL? Did his ISP even give him the info to make his own PPPoE connection or is the modem hardcoded/preconfigured?

I suggest this: change your LAN addressing first, then after you can confirm that works, you can try and set your modem to bridge mode then figure out how to setup your internet connection using the router's WAN port settings.

Last edited by switch on Mon Sep 29, 2008 20:18; edited 1 time in total
olmari
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 20:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
switch wrote:
The settings show that he has a modem that is giving him an IP address on the WAN port. Same as any DSL/ADSL/PPPoE/oA modem in routing mode.

The connection type is set as RFC 1483 Bridged, which is exactly what is says... It isn't PPPoE, nor PPPoA... it is direct bridging connection so that modem doesn't do anything else than the physical connection... So that makes modem DHCP service interfering with "everything"...

OR, the modem maker has really messed up with terms... Which I don't tend to believe...
olmari
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 20:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
switch wrote:
I suggest this: change your LAN addressing first, then after you can confirm that works, you can try and set your modem to bridge mode then figure out how to setup your internet connection using the router's WAN port settings.

His modem already is bridging... It's in the picture as I told...
switch
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 20:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
Instead of dragging this on, just tell me the 2nd pic isn't of the DD-WRT interface Embarassed Sorry about that, mate!

Still, the DHCP of a router/modem/whatever connected on the WAN side doesn't interfere with the LAN side, and the networks (WAN and LAN) are still overlapping if he is using the defaults of DD-WRT.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 20:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
switch wrote:
Instead of dragging this on, just tell me the 2nd pic isn't of the DD-WRT interface Embarassed

Still, the DHCP of a router/modem/whatever connected on the WAN side doesn't interfere with the LAN side, and the networks (WAN and LAN) are still overlapping if he is using the defaults of DD-WRT.

If modem is bridging, it doens't have LAN and WAN side, because it is bridging :lol:

ADD: Otherwise modems IP is irrelevant when bridging, exept if he wants to access it's settings even when using router (see http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Access_To_Modem_Configuration about that).

Last edited by olmari on Mon Sep 29, 2008 20:24; edited 1 time in total
switch
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 20:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm talking about LAN and WAN on the router. Isn't the setup like this?

LAN <-> DD-WRT <-> Modem(bridge) <-> ISP
LAN side ------------- WAN side

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 20:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
It's why you disable DHCP on the modem...because for some reason the router's WAN is not getting IP from the ISP, but rather getting an IP from the modem.
olmari
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 20:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
switch wrote:
I'm talking about LAN and WAN on the router. Isn't the setup like this?

LAN <-> DD-WRT <-> Modem(bridge) <-> ISP
LAN side ------------- WAN side

It should be, but currently he still has DHCP server on the modem enabled also, which I don't understand why it is even allowed as modem is also in bridged mode.

His router seems to be configured just perfectly, modem isn't...
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 3
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: