WRT54G-TM NON-JTAG CFE-Updater

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 19, 20, 21  Next
m1le5
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 15:53    Post subject: worked perfectly, thank you Reply with quote
Just a quick note to say that following the instructions you listed, everything worked exactly as described. well written and easy to follow - thanks a lot!
Sponsor
Luniz2k1
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 19:36    Post subject: Re: worked perfectly, thank you Reply with quote
m1le5 wrote:
Just a quick note to say that following the instructions you listed, everything worked exactly as described. well written and easy to follow - thanks a lot!

Glad I could help out. Very Happy

Got OpenDNS?
Bird333
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 13:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
Kinda off topic, but can you buy one of these routers anywhere besides ebay?
Luniz2k1
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 18:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
At one time T-Mobile had them on their website that you could purchase for $30ea. I've read posts in different sites that say you can just go to any T-Mobile cellular store and purchase them there also.

Got OpenDNS?
flhr
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 2:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
All I can say is S-W-E-E-T! Installed first time and did not even need to unplug it. Heck, I might just keep this WRT54G-TM.

Thank Eko, Brainslayer, Tornado etal.
hunterbush
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 15:42    Post subject: god bless you fine people Reply with quote
I am a newbie to 3rd party firmware flashing. I've been lurking this board and pretty much this entire site for about three months. I've bought 3 routers, and haven't tried to flash any of them. One of these was the wrt54g-tm. My first flash was with these easy to follow set instructions. I now have a seriously rock solid router that I purchased for thirty dollars. (yes you can buy them for thirty bucks at a t-mobile store)
but seriously, this has made me a happy camper. thank you fellas again.
pmoore4321
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 5:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ran down to the T-mobile store and picked up a TM before work today for $30. I just got home and had the thing "MEGA" flashed in about 5 minutes. Works like a charm! This has got to be the best deal around. Hats off to the DD-WRT team!

Preston
TheTechnician
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 16:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hello there. do you guys know is i can use the dd-wrt.v23_sp2 in this baby ?
im wondering because i want to do the dual wan thing and seems that only works in the dd-wrt.v23_sp2 Sad.

Thx
sillyfish
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 17:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
many thanks to these great developers and Luniz2k1! Very Happy
really easy to follow!

i have two more questions:

1. what shall i do to configure the router for family use? like game, http/htp, bt/emuler,etc.

2. where can i find the lastest or stable firmware for TM? i found that this model is not compatible with any stable version of dd-wrt.

thanks!
Luniz2k1
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 17:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
TheTechnician wrote:
Hello there. do you guys know is i can use the dd-wrt.v23_sp2 in this baby ?
im wondering because i want to do the dual wan thing and seems that only works in the dd-wrt.v23_sp2 Sad.

Thx

Support for the WRT54G-TM started with v24-RC5.

Got OpenDNS?
dicksons
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 2:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
I just flashed 4 of these units in under 15 minutes.

I don't love their radios so much, but the ram and flash is great.

this non-jtag flash is going to run up the price of these -- snap em up while they're still cheap !

much thanks to all involved in creating and documenting this !

I particularly like the idea of using two IPs on the PC ethernet interface to save a step in between -- that one is going into my standard procedure for the buff WLI flashing

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 21:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have a WRT54G-RG which looks like it's similar or the same as the WRT54G-TM, but branded to Rogers. Here's the official Linksys site for it: http://www-ca.linksys.com/servlet/Satellite?c=L_Product_C2&childpagename=CAen%2FLayout&cid=1175243471979&pagename=Linksys%2FCommon%2FVisitorWrapper&lid=7197936652B02

I tried to follow the instructions to flash it as if it were a WRT54G-TM but whenever I try to flash the CFE file I get a "Updates failed!" error message on a new web page. If I hit continue, it goes back to the firmware upgrading progress bar and appears to continue, but then eventually pops up a dialog also saying "Updates failed!", then it just gets stuck on the firmware upgrade page indefinitely, but nothing appears to have changed on the router.

I also tried to first flash to the WRT54G-TM version of the firmware (same version number as the one that came installed on mine) but this also resulted in the exact same error messages.

Any chance this can be flashed somehow?

Thanks!
Luniz2k1
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 2:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
My guess would be that it is running a different firmware. So it is not going to accept the Linksys firmware for the WRT54G-TM, nor will it accept the CFE replacement made by Tornado.

With the WRT54G-TM, not only did the original Linksys firmware look for a specific header in the firmware image, but a special CRC checksum to accept the firmware upload. This would probably be the same deal with your router.

The way that the Linksys firmware on the WRT54G-TM worked was that the flash space was split in half. The router kept dual copies of the firmware on each part of the flash. If one part got corrupted, or an upload failed, it would copy the working backup copy of the firmware to the other part. This works pretty much the same way as it does on PC motherboards with dual bios's such as with Gigabyte motherboards.

Your best bet would be to open the router and upload some pics of the chips inside of it to determine if anything can be done with it, and if it has a JTAG port, a backup of the CFE would help in getting DD-WRT to work on it.

Got OpenDNS?
StevenJJ
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 4:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
I just followed the instructions on Mac Leopard, using MacTFTP (http://www.mactechnologies.com) and it worked very well.

Some tips you might want to try:
Use Camino, it is more compatible!
To get two manual IP addresses on your Ethernet port in Leopard, in System Preferences/Network, create a new Location (call it wrt54g-tm), minus the ports you won't be using to get them out of the way, click + to create another Ethernet, it will come up as Ethernet2. Set one of them to manual 192.168.0.2 (and the rest) and the other 192.168.1.2 (and all the rest as described above for Windows).

Start Terminal, Enter ping -t 600 192.168.1.1 and move it aside.

Go ahead and flash the CFE firmware as above, and when the Terminal window finally shows successful returns to the ping, start MacTFTP Client set just as recommended for Windows. Quit terminal, it's not needed anymore.

Be patient (I went out for dinner) when it is finished you'll have a router ready at 192.168.1.1.

I don't have T-Mobile so wasn't offered the $30 rebate for my $29.99 router, but hey, such a deal! I'm thinking of buying in bulk now!

I don't think I can adequately thank all concerned for their efforts in this great endeavor. My gratitude to you all.
Luniz2k1
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 4:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for supplying the Mac information. That should help anyone who happens to use a Mac and wants to flash theirs.

Ya, my new job starts next week. So I hope that they dont jack up the prices on these until I can get my hands on a few dozen.

Got OpenDNS?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 19, 20, 21  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 2 of 21
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: