Posted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 11:00 Post subject: 30-30-30 reset broke my WRT54GS
Hi all. Apologies for the length of this. I'm wondering if there is a problem with the latest VINT builds 10205 and 10404. Let me explain the history of this.
WRT54GS v1.1 running 9856_VINT_std.bin. Wanted to try the latest 10404_VINT_std.bin
1. 30-30-30 reset then flashed 10404_VINT_std.bin. Router came back ok and was working with web interface accessible. Following the recommendation I then did another 30-30-30 reset before I did any configuration. This broke the router. No ping. Power led flashing. LAN and WAN leds on. I left it for a couple of hours but it never came back.
2. Only way to recover was shorting pins 5 & 6 which got me a ping and enabled me to tftp the latest Linksys firmware. Router came back ok.
3. 30-30-30 reset and flashed 10404_VINT_mini.bin. Router came back ok. Did another 30-30-30 and got back into the broken state as in step 1. Recovered as in step 2.
4. Tried again as above with build 10205 with same results.
5. Tried again with 9856 and all was ok. After flashing mini I was able to flash 9856_VINT_std and all is ok. The 30-30-30 reset works fine with this version but not with the later builds.
Anyone have any ideas or seen the same problem? Thanks.
Started with a working 9856_VINT_mini.bin.
telneted in and did erase nvram;reboot
Router rebooted ok. Changed password as prompted on first use of the web interface.
Flashed 10404_VINT_std.bin and router came back ok. Web interface working and routing to internet and LAN ok.
telneted in and did erase nvram;reboot. Got this -
root@DD-WRT:~# erase nvram;reboot
Waited 10 minutes but router never rebooted. Not pingable.
Powered off and on and router was in same state as step 1 in my first post. Had to short the pins and tftp Linksys firmware. That's where I am at the moment.
did you verify the checksum of the firmware before you flashed it?
Yes the checksums were correct for all the firmwares I have tried. They flash ok and I get a working router. But before I do any configuration I am trying to do the recommended reset of nvram and that's when I see the problem.
Strange. I don't know what causes that. Only thing I can think is unsupported router or bad flash chip.
Did you try restoring defaults from the GUI?
No. Didn't try it from the GUI. Suppose it may be a hardware or chip problem but why would it work perfectly with Linksys firmware and 9856_VINT but not 10205_VINT or 10404? Very odd. Thanks for the suggestions. I'll see if anyone else comes up with anything in the next few hours.
Have now tried restoring defaults from the gui but that didn't help.
I've also managed to tftp dd-wrt firmware instead of Linksys but again, when I tried to reset after flashing 10404_VINT_std.bin the router never came back and I had to resort to pin shorting and tftp again. Now back on 9856_VINT_std.bin which is working and always comes back ok after 30-30-30 reset.
I really would like to get this router on 10404. Has anyone done this with a WRT54GS V1.1?
I actually have the same problem with a WRT54GS V1.0. I got dd-wrt to load just fine from the linksys web gui, and got the dd-wrt GUI initially. Then, when I went to do the hard reset, it bricked the router. I didn't have to short any pins to get to the point where I could tftp the linksys firmware back to it, but both the reset as well as configuration changes to the dd-wrt firmware causes the router to get into the same state.