I have OLSR working - what now?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
mwarren
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 21:16    Post subject: I have OLSR working - what now? Reply with quote
I have 4 Linksys WRT54GL routers working with OLSR. They can each see each other, and the :8080 page shows routes and all that good stuff. When I hook a laptop up to one of the ethernet ports on the router, it can't ping any of them. How can I enable this? I'd like to be able to connect a couple embedded PCs and IP cameras to the routers and then be able to get to those PCs and cameras. Am I going about this the wrong way?
Sponsor
mwarren
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 19:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
Bump!
joksi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 20:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
I cannot even get that far, when I change to OLSR mode, unbridge eth1 and add eth1 to OLSR it doesnt work. Try rebooting, still nothing on :8080 and internet routing gets messed up with OLSR enabled.

REgarding your problem, i think you should be able to ping the devices and als reach the Internet from every device if atleast one device is connected to the Internet.
scriv
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 16:10    Post subject: OLSR and all that good stuff :) Reply with quote
I've read various posts on OLSR and DD-WRT v24 in this forum plus read Sash's Wiki entry which covers the basics of setting up in v24 very well. The point that seems to be consistently missed by most posters is that you can't throw away the basics of networking just because your dealing with a new routing protocol. What Sash has described very clearly is setting up a basic wireless adhoc mesh network using olsr but you then have to connect that network to a wired gateway interface either within the router software or physically. By unbridging the wireless network you are effectively disconnecting from the wired lan interfaces and allocating separate static IP's and netmask to the wireless lan. What you are not allocating to the wlan is a gateway or dns setting so naturally you cannot access the Internet!
There are several ways you can setup your network, all of which I have checked for functionality, and if I don't get informed negative input to the following I propose to update the Wiki at some point.
Before I start can I just say that my reasons for investigating dd-wrt/olsr were to see if it was a viable alternative to WDS, or back to back, on the Buffalo WHR-HP-G54. My feeling is that these devices don't really have the memory to support the network overhead in real life and the nett result is to slow the Internet connection down far more than WDS ever will. I shall therefore probably stick with WDS which is pretty bullet proof.
Method 1
Set up however many olsr routers you want according to Sash's Wiki entry using the adhoc setting with the same SSID, channel and IP range ie 192.168.5.2 192.168.5.3 etc You don't need to make any other changes to the router setup as you've disconnected [unbridged] the wlan from the rest. The olsr :8080 interface can be accessed direct though the wired lan IP which would normally still be default 192.168.1.1
Activate olsr on eth1 for each router as per the Wiki and you should see them all talking to each other when you connect to any one on the.wired.lan.interface:8080.
Now setup a normal router in default gateway, NOT olsr, mode connected to the Internet. Ensure that you can access the Internet normally on this router. Go to Wireless and set adhoc with the same ssid and channel as your olsr network. Unbridge the wlan and give it an address of 192.168.5.1 Set a static IP of say 192.168.5.10 in your pc with a gateway and dns of 192.168.5.1.
You should now be able to access the Internet through any of your olsr routers. You will only see one network. If you can't either I've made a typo or you,ve done something wrong Smile
Method 2
Set everything up as per Method 1 but leave your Internet router in default wireless AP mode with a different SSID to the olsr network. Set the the lan IP of the gateway to match the OLSR network ie 192.168.5.1 with DHCP enabled. Now on the first olsr router in the chain ie 192.168.5.2 bridge the wireless lan again and change the olsr interface to br0. In basic setup disable DHCP and set the static IP to 192.168.5.2 Connect by cable to one of the main gateway router lan ports. Change your pc back to dynamic IP and dns allocation. You should be accessing the Internet again.
Method 2 plus
For people who are still with me Smile
By following the above br0 procedure with any of your olsr routers you can both connect your pc to the wired interface and input the Internet gateway at any of them.
The basic principle of all the above is that you don't have to tell olsr where the gateway is it will find it for itself.
Could I just say that any elementary questions from people who don't understand the above will be ignored! Any informed constructive observations are welcome. My only reason for posting is that I have had benefits from using DD-WRT firmware and accasionally I like to put something back in to the system.
scriv

Last edited by scriv on Wed Sep 17, 2008 21:18; edited 2 times in total
joksi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 16:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
Nice tutorial :)

But, then again, what does this help when there isnt anything with olsr running when issuing "ps" and there isnt anything responding on :8080?

So, in short, to reach Internet from a non internet connected OLSR unit by wire and wireless, one have to bridge the WLAN on the device and choose br0 as the OLSR interface. If only access is needed for WLAN clients, its enough unbridging the WLAN on the device and use this as OLSR assigned interface instead of br0?

Last question, why do you propose having all OLSR units in the same subnet, isnt it more suitable having the route like in real networks?
scriv
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 21:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
joksi wrote:
there isnt anything responding on :8080?

If you connect to any olsr device at the wired lan address ie 192.168.1.1:8080 as per Sash's Wiki you will see the olsrd. That's why you put the olsr network in a different subnet so there's no conflict.
joksi wrote:
why do you propose having all OLSR units in the same subnet, isnt it more suitable having the route like in real networks?

I've edited the "tutorial" to hopefully be more clear. I assume your referring to Method 2? If the olsr network is in the same network as the dhcp gateway then ensure that the static IP's allocated to olsr are not in the dhcp range. It doesn't actually matter whether dhcp is in the same range as the statics used. I was actually testing the network using chillispot dhcp so the dhcp addresses would be in the 192.168.182.0 range and the statics in a different one.
joksi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 0:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
Whats the OLSRd process called?
It doesnt even seem to run at my router, thats why I cant access :8080

When I just experimented, i unbridged WLAN to 192.168.0.1 and the LAN was 10.1.1.1. I assigned unbridged eth1 (WLAN) to OLSR. Tried 192.168.0.1:8080 and 10.1.1.1:8080, none responded.
joksi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
Remember, standard config is using :8080 as web UI remote access port.

Lets just verify I have understod your instructions per method 1.

Example:

WRT54GL (Internet connected router)
--------

WAN: 20.20.20.20/24
LAN: 192.168.1.1/24

SSID: OLSR
WLAN unbridged: 10.1.1.1/24
MODE: AD-HOC

Router mode: Gateway

OLSR: eth1

FON1
-----

WAN: Disabled
LAN: 192.168.1.2/24

WLAN unbridged: 10.1.1.2/24

Router mode: OLSR

OLSR: ath0

FON2
-----

WAN: Disabled
LAN: 192.168.1.3/24

WLAN unbridged: 10.1.1.3/24

Router mode: OLSR

OLSR: ath0

----

And that should be it?
All units should be connected by OLSR on the WLAN interfaces in the 10.1.1.0/24 network and all units should reach internet by way of WRT54GL?

Is there any need to change local LAN and gateway adresses?

Because all routers are in AD-HOC mode, they will not accept WLAN clients but if a PC connects by wire t any of the Fonera routers in 192.168.1.0/24 network they will reach the Internet over OLSR from WRT54GL?
joksi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
Example

Connecting PC by wire to FON2, IP 192.168.1.5 gateway 192.168.1.3, internet will work? Or do I need different local subnets on each OLSR router and only have the OLSR interfaces in same subnet?
mwarren
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 16:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
Wow, that's a lot of good information. I'll have to plow through some of this later today. Thanks very much!
scriv
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 13:04    Post subject: Method 2 plus additional note Reply with quote
Just a quick additional note for anyone who's got this far Smile Once you've implemented the br0 procedure and bridged the wlan back to the wired lan with the same IP for both you will no longer be able to access the :8080 interface via the wired lan. The way it's set up in DD-WRT you can't access :8080 from an IP which is in use by the olsr router. You can connect to :8080 at any router which is still unbridged from the wired lan.
scriv
joksi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 14:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
Nothing of above works in my case, as I said, no OLSR process can be seen when issuing "ps" at the promt.
scriv
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 14:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sash's Wiki entry of 7 June at http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Mesh_Networking_with_OLSR#DD-WRT_.3E_v.23_SP3 describes quite clearly how to set up a basic olsr network.

My notes above are a development of that Wiki entry to make the olsr network useful through a wireless or wired gateway.

It doesn't matter what type of router you are using if it has the latest DD-WRT v24 firmware both Sash's wiki and my developments work.

I suggest you first get your network running correctly as per Sash's Wiki before attempting to use the developments in my post.
scriv
joksi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 16:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
Once again (dont know if you dont understand what i am telling your or if you just play plain stupid!?), there isnt any OLSR PROCESS on the router after changing to OLSR mode, and adding a interface to OLSR in the UI. I even reboot, and now process is ever started. So, OLSR will never work if the daemon doesnt start, however you config.
scriv
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 18:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
joksi wrote:
Once again (dont know if you dont understand what i am telling your or if you just play plain stupid!?), there isnt any OLSR PROCESS on the router after changing to OLSR mode, and adding a interface to OLSR in the UI. I even reboot, and now process is ever started. So, OLSR will never work if the daemon doesnt start, however you config.

I am perfectly happy to accept that you have the only DD-WRT V24 routers where the OLSR function doesn't work normally.
I welcome positive or negative contributions in this thread from people who have normally functioning routers and the basic networking knowledge to understand the Wiki entries and my original post.
I will not make any further responses to posts that do not fulfill those criteria.
scriv
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 4
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: