Best Router for DD-WRT

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
patwood
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 20:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
I like my Asus WL-520gu. It has one USB port that's now working with USB2.0 with the latest DD-WRT builds. They're running around $50 right now.

For an "N" router, you can get a refurbed Linksys WRT150N from Amazon or Buy.com for about $45, free shipping.

Pat
Sponsor
chronos
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 20:42    Post subject: Update Reply with quote
I would also like to see an update of this thread.

Which are the most compatible routers with ddwrt at this time?
Which could be considered a "best buy"? :p
Falcon4
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
Looking for an update here too, but may be too late. I'm pretty much set to bid 50 bucks on a WRT54GL on eBay right now, to replace my '54G V6 that's limping along with barely enough memory and ~10+ active users on wireless. The GL will be a welcome change.

This topic sorely needs an update though... the Buffalo routers aren't even available anymore. Isn't there something better in the 2 years since this was posted?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 20:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
I went on a hunch and the post of patwood and purchased and ASUS 520gu. Got it off of newegg.com for 49.99 with free shipping. I must say the setup could not have been easier (be sure to run the utility as administrator on vista). It was at least far easier than the buffalo I have.

I did the pepsi challenge with the 520gu vs. a $200 linksys AP and the linksys got blown out of the water.

I would like to see this thread updated for 08/09 as well. I searched high and low for a DD-WRT supported device with PoE, and couldn't find one.
98EXL
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 19:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
bump for another update
patwood
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 4:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yes, I forgot to mention how easy the dd-wrt install was. The Asus utility can flash with files right from the dd-wrt downloads page. Note that all the Asus routers I know of run an Asus version of a Linux 2.4 kernel slightly older than the one dd-wrt is based on. This is quite nice, as the USB 2.0 problem with the 520-GU was fixed by Asus on their version and posted in the GPL'ed sources.

Pat
patwood
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 5:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm interested in anyone's experiences with the WRT150N. I know it doesn't have the antenna diversity of a true N router, and some reviews of it indicate that its throughput and range suffers from this, but they weren't testing with dd-wrt. Also, since my cable connection maxes out at around 5Mbits/sec, speed is not as critical as range and dead spot elimination.

Pat
snoop911
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 20:52    Post subject: Best for Wireless Bridge Reply with quote
I'm just looking for a cheap wireless bridge (that supports WPA2-AES). I really don't need anything else.

The standalone linksys wireless bridges are so much more than a cheapy router flashed with DD-WRT, that it got me searching for info..

Airlink is the cheapest I've found, but things like this scare me:

"Wireless Bridge Kills Broadcom based WRT Linksys routers Setup as an AP or Internet Router with WDS enabled

AR's do not function as a normal Router, Constant traffic drops
"

Do the Buffalo routers suffer from this as well? What known dd-wrt based router works flawlessly as a bridge? If its inexpensive, I don't mind that it doesn't work as well for other functions.
patwood
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 23:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm currently using an Asus WL-520GU as a wireless repeater with WPA-PSK/TKIP. Works great. Doesn't lock up. Has a USB 2.0 port (which I'm currently using to share a small 2.5" HD with samba). This can be had from Newegg and Zipzoomfly with a $20 rebate this month that comes to $30 after the rebate (free shipping). I doubt you could get a better router for dd-wrt any cheaper.

You can get a Linksys WRT54GL router from Amazon or Buy for $53 (also free shipping); this one is very well supported by dd-wrt and lots of other open source projects.

Pat
Titus Pullo
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
Based upon the recommendations of 'patwood' and the post by 'lurch2012', I placed an order for the Asus a few hours ago.

I can't wait to try it out.
zcream
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 12:49    Post subject: wl-520gu + DIY HTPC Reply with quote
I'm going to buy a WL-520gu, connect a usb drive and a printer via hub, and also rig up a HTPC that can play movies from the drive..
Lets see how this goes..

Titus Pullo wrote:
Based upon the recommendations of 'patwood' and the post by 'lurch2012', I placed an order for the Asus a few hours ago.

I can't wait to try it out.
Titus Pullo
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 18:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
Patwood,

Can you please tell me which f/w you are using?

I tried the dd-wrt.V24_AAP-0130-generic.bin and almost thought I bricked mine.

Thanks.
Acid-Drop
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just wanted to do a small upgrade on the "best home router" (under 100$/€):

Do we still a agree that it is the WL-500g Premium V2 ? The V1 is actually better but they don't sell it anymore.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/WL-500g_Premium_V2
SNP
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 23:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
Anyone has recommendation on a router with gigabit LAN that works well with DD-WRT and has SNMP?
Eric CRX
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 6:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
First post as member of dd-wrt

Just want to let you know you can get a $20 mail rebate until november 30 on ASUS WL-520gu
I currently purchasing a WL-520gu for less then $30 Canadian dollars ($25 us)

I'm sure you can find nice deal on a us based web site too
http://www.mirhelp.com/asus/asus-november-rebates
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 6 of 9
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Generic Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: