WDS issues with wrt54gs v2.1 (BCM4712)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
moreins
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
hey guys
here is an update on my case.

MAIN ROUTER ---> WRT54GS V2.1 (DDWRT STD build 10011)
CLIENT ROUTER ---> WRT54GS V5 (DDWRT MIC build 10012)
Wireless CH ---> 1
Encryption ---> WPA Personal + AES

*im connected via utp cable to main router and pinging both routers. pings are 100% working to client router. since pings to client router work, WDS is up.
*i reboot client router, wds goes offline but it comes back up after 15 seconds. pings are 100% working to client router.
*i reboot host router, wds goes offline and will not come back up. pings to client router do not work.

workaround:
1)on main router, go to WDS tab.
2)disable the wds link with client router
3)wait until that page reloads (it does it automatically)
4)click on SAVE (do not click APPLY SETTINGS)
5)re-enable the wds link with client router
6)wait until that page reloads (it does it automatically)
7)click on SAVE
8)click on APPLY SETTINGS
9)wds will go back online.

i hope DEV's can look into this or give us some news. if you need more tech. info, let me know.

bug report:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/bugtracker/view.php?id=3282

thank you!

Sponsor
haykong
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 16:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
hey have you tried running v24 VINT build 9517 for both the wrt54gsv2.1 and wrt 54gsv5?

I know the 54gsv5 has a 5352 processor so it can run vint or non-vint stable.

Anyway, it seems that I got myself a stable solution for my wrt54v2/3 running both vint-9517

much better and have tx power @70.

at the same time I'm now just testing out my new routers wrt310n with v24 sp1

wish I can run my wrt310n at tx power @70. but gets hot and unstable. so been testing at @28.
haykong
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 17:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
I think the key thing in your setup is that the wrt54gsv2.1 should be running v24-vint 9517 that is probably why you are running into stability issues on the host router ..... it should run stable.... try flashing it to that build.

see how it runs...... and if u still have trouble ...also try flashing your wrt54gsv5 with the micro-vint.........

anyway I got both of my wrt54gv2/3 running vint 9517 stable and using WDS/WPA2/AES
moreins
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 19:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
i tried for several weeks the v2.4 VINT. the issue persisted there.
i thought that maybe SP1 would solve some WDS issues, and since there is no VINT version on SP1, i decided to go with NEWD.
issue still persists there.
indeed, the v5 router has a 5352 chipset and i have several reasons to believe this one doesnt cause the wds issue.

about the v2.1 router, note how it works very well with the workaround procedure i posted today in the morning. so that makes me thing that theres something else than not running VINT release with the v2.1 router.

moreins
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 23:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
hello again.
still having problems with this. i have tried everything...ran a micro release, vint, newd, rc releases. still no luck

i was wondering if there is any way to configure a startup script (that runs after a minute or so) that does exactly the same workaround procedure in the GUI:

1)disable WDS with the client router
2)do not apply or save settings
3)enable back again the WDS
4)apply settings
5)wds will pick up in 15 seconds and the ping will show responses from both routers

any ideas on how to do this?

thanks

tomay
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 20:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have a similar problem with my GL 1.1 and G 5.1

I think the problem is only in the micro version of v24sp1. I can reboot the GL without any problems, but when i reboot the G 5.1 using micro it doesn't reconnect the WDS. If i change the wireless security to none and back to wpa in works until I reboot or power cycle the router with the micro version.

If I get a chance I'd like to try replacing the 5.1 with another GL. It could be a problem not using the same hardware on both ends.

I will probably use wep insead of wpa.
moreins
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 21:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
tomay wrote:
I have a similar problem with my GL 1.1 and G 5.1

I think the problem is only in the micro version of v24sp1. I can reboot the GL without any problems, but when i reboot the G 5.1 using micro it doesn't reconnect the WDS. If i change the wireless security to none and back to wpa in works until I reboot or power cycle the router with the micro version.

If I get a chance I'd like to try replacing the 5.1 with another GL. It could be a problem not using the same hardware on both ends.

I will probably use wep insead of wpa.

hey. thanks for the feedback.
i believe you have a similar but not the same issue. v5 in my case works ok. i can reboot it whenever i want and WDS will pick up soon.
v2.1 is the one causing the problem since i have defined a workaround procedure that works 100% of the time. i have reasons to believe there something with the fact of being a 4712 chipset.
have you tried the workaround procedure i posted before?
still no news at bugtracker Sad Embarassed

moreins
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 0:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
any news on this? Sad
i had another power outage today and wds stayed offline until i got back home
WiFiTech
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 15:12    Post subject: Not that it is a fix... Reply with quote
I use $40.00 APC UPS devices and a $15.00 Digital Appliance Timer.
The battery back-up keeps things running and the timer is set to shut down once a week for 1 minute. I do this to clear the memory in the router, as well as, to make any problems occur when I am the least busy. This isn't a fix, and the hotspots I set up for people are all open, no WEP, WPA or WPA2. However, it has all but elimiated my chillispot issues, and seems to have increased the lifetime of the routers. I have not had to replace one in 3 years, except for lightning strikes on the roof mounted ones. So I am not sure if this can be applied in any fashion to your issue, or if watchdog can be set, and work with the main router IP for auto reboot. My routers are all on v23 sp2 as I can't even get the v24 and WDS to work at all, and havent gotten any help on what I am doing wrong. Hope this helps a little.

54mbps Wireless Network
3MB MP3 from a guy with dial up
Still means a 45 minute wait.
moreins
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 1:38    Post subject: Re: Not that it is a fix... Reply with quote
WiFiTech wrote:
I use $40.00 APC UPS devices and a $15.00 Digital Appliance Timer.
The battery back-up keeps things running and the timer is set to shut down once a week for 1 minute. I do this to clear the memory in the router, as well as, to make any problems occur when I am the least busy. This isn't a fix, and the hotspots I set up for people are all open, no WEP, WPA or WPA2. However, it has all but elimiated my chillispot issues, and seems to have increased the lifetime of the routers. I have not had to replace one in 3 years, except for lightning strikes on the roof mounted ones. So I am not sure if this can be applied in any fashion to your issue, or if watchdog can be set, and work with the main router IP for auto reboot. My routers are all on v23 sp2 as I can't even get the v24 and WDS to work at all, and havent gotten any help on what I am doing wrong. Hope this helps a little.

this is a good idea but it wont fix the wds issue as im not looking for a secondary power but something that would let my routers connect between eachother after they reboot
as you are saying, you are rebooting the routers every week. if they reboot, the wds wont work anymore. so whats the point of using the ups in this specific case?

tomay
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 20:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
Using an ups is not a solution, because you also have to reboot the routers sometimes when applying new settings. I "solved" my problem by using wep instead of wpa, and it works like it should.

Not sure if the problem lies in using different hardware or when using a micro and a standard (non micro) build of ddwrt.

If I get a chance I'll try using the micro and a standard build on the same hardware (GL 1.1), but must check first if I can put a micro build on a GL router.

If the problem remains it is most likely to be the micro build.

If anyone want's to try to put the micro build on both routers. (don't blame me if you brick it) Twisted Evil
Eko
DD-WRT Developer/Maintainer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 21:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
This is fixed now - wait for next build.
moreins
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 2:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
yay!!!!!
will wait for next build so i can upgrade my routers!
thanks for all the help!! Very Happy

moreins
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 18:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
hello eko
my main router is now running 10305 and the wds is not even showing signal activity at Status_Wireless.asp Sad
did a hard reset and configured everything form scratch with no good luck at all.
bafore i upgraded with this new build the wds used to show something in the signal bar (didnt work though). now it doesnt work either but it show 0% in the bar
could you give me some help. if you need me to send you technical info of my routers, just let me know that ill be happy to help you with this

Eko
DD-WRT Developer/Maintainer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 20:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
Check your MAC addresses.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 2 of 6
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: