WRT54GL 1.1 Antenna Questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
-RanZ-
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 14:14    Post subject: WRT54GL 1.1 Antenna Questions Reply with quote
rubber duck 9dBi antenna -
http://sharperconcepts.zoovy.com/product/YSC-HG2409RD-RTP

Does that antenna really get close to 9dBi?

I was once told that you should have 1 antenna vertical and one horizontal because PCMCIA cards' antennas are horizontal... is there any truth to that statement?

also, from searching the fourm I have read that the "right" antenna is the one farthest from the power plug on the WRT54GL, has this been shown correct or should I test this on my own?

last, would you recommend getting 1 and turning off diversity or just get 2 right away? Is there any benefit to either?

Thanks!
Sponsor
rkramer
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 15:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
i've got that antenna... It works good in quiet environments, but keep in mind big db omni's also pick up lots of noise, so you may get better results with a smaller antenna or a directional if you can use that instead.

orientation... one vertical, one horizontal theoritically should work best, but wifi is sometimes strange. i've seen the best signal from configurations that should have been the absolute worst! experiment and see.
-RanZ-
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 20:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
Think its worth getting 2 antennas for the diversity?
OpsCenter
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 11:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
I think that it is better to get two similar antennas, if not the same.

I think that the diversity chip blows up when it has two completely disparate situations going - huge downloads from an antenna that is external and nothing or something light inside...just my opinion after having 3 blow up on me.
dozzer
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 13:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
You can always turn off diversity on the web gui (wireless-- advanced)

Anyone know which antenna is which on the GL ?

Doz
-RanZ-
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 14:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
From doing a search it appears that the one farthese from the power plug is the "right" antenna
DrJunge
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 18:09    Post subject: Spatial diversity Reply with quote
-RanZ- wrote:
Think its worth getting 2 antennas for the diversity?
I use two 9dBi omni ruber ducks for spatial diversity (from www.wimo.de (17015.9RSMA with a RP-SMA to RP-TNC adapter, of cause)). They are great for covering a single floor in a multi-story building because of the high dBi you'll cut-off all the people living above and below you. If you are more into polarization diversity put the antennas in a 90deg 'V'; but you will get very uneven coverage to the side of the 'V', sector antennas would be much better here.
pazuzu
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 18:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
These look like the same as the CompUSA brand 9dbi pair. The only problem I've had with them is the plastic ring near where the antenna bends 90 degrees have developed a hairline crack on each side after getting twisted on/off a number of times. They do seem to pick up more APs when used on a client-bridge, compared to a 7dbi Hawking and 5.2dbi Cisco AIR-ANT2506 (both omni as well).

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 0:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
-RanZ- wrote:
From doing a search it appears that the one farthese from the power plug is the "right" antenna

So it's "right" as seen from the front.. thanks.

Doz
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: