Super simple SNMP traffic graph - for dummies!!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Eko
DD-WRT Developer/Maintainer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 15:54    Post subject: Super simple SNMP traffic graph - for dummies!!! Reply with quote
Super simple SNMP traffic graph - for dummies!!!

This is for all "dummies" who don't want to "play" with complicated programs like Cactii or MRTG and/or have no Linux....

This is what you need:

1.) enable SNMP on your router
2.) Download STG TrafficGrapher v1.4.5 from http://leonidvm.chat.ru/
3.) unzip it to folder of your choice (no instalation required)
4.) run it (stg.exe)
5.) go to "View"->"Settings" or press F9
6.) Enter "Target address" to you router's IP
7.) Enter "Green OID" = 1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.16.8 (or .4, see below)
8.) Enter "BlueOID" = 1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.10.8 (or .4, see below)

You should see the graphs running.

9.) close the STG
10.) It will ask you to save new config
11.) Name it at your choice

Thats it!

Last edited by Eko on Thu Aug 03, 2006 16:04; edited 1 time in total
Sponsor
Eko
DD-WRT Developer/Maintainer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 16:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
OK, these are interfaces for WRT54G v2.x/v3.x/v4.0 and WRT54GS v1.x/v2.x/v3/v4 and simmilar:
WAN interface is .8

And these for WRT54G v1.x, Belkin f5D7230 v1000,Buffalo WBR-G54, WLA-G54, WZR-RS-G54 and simmilar:
WAN interface is .4

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 22:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
Is it just me, or would it be nice to have a new SNMP object for connection count? Hmm.. I wonder how much trouble it'd be to add this.
u3gyxap
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 22:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
You mean the number of the active connections, or the total connections established since the boot?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 23:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
u3gyxap wrote:
You mean the number of the active connections, or the total connections established since the boot?

active connections. I could care less about total connections since boot. Just like I could care less about what I did yesterday. However, while we're adding SNMP objects, might as well document the procedure and add a few...
webdog
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 20:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
anyway to get the SNMP if the router has a password set?
u3gyxap
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 21:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
db90h wrote:
u3gyxap wrote:

active connections. I could care less about total connections since boot. Just like I could care less about what I did yesterday. However, while we're adding SNMP objects, might as well document the procedure and add a few...

See if you find this useful. If it works for you, please add it to the wiki (I cannot verify if it works).

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1054
rkramer
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 14:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
webdog wrote:

first, quit stealing wifi. if it has a password they at least made an attempt to lock it down, one more thing should it ever come up that you are borrowing their connection...

second, probably not. does it even run ddwrt? you can try public as the snmp community which is common and may let you in, otherwise, no. lots of people may not even turn on snmp unless it is actually used.
webdog
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 18:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
rkramer wrote:
webdog wrote:

first, quit stealing wifi. if it has a password they at least made an attempt to lock it down, one more thing should it ever come up that you are borrowing their connection...

second, probably not. does it even run ddwrt? you can try public as the snmp community which is common and may let you in, otherwise, no. lots of people may not even turn on snmp unless it is actually used.

Why do you think im stealing WiFi? I have my own router password protected since its only accessible from WAN IP because of my network sertup.
pchai
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 4:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
Can i monitor Port 4 instead of the Wan link?
Thanks
saivert
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 1:34    Post subject: thanks Reply with quote
Thanks for this guide. I managed to get MRTG working, but I never got the OID's right, so it must have been graphing some random stuff. Anyways MRTG is a lot of hassle when you just need a quick solution.

I mean, installing Apache and Perl is sort of overkill in such a situation.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 9:44    Post subject: Re: Super simple SNMP traffic graph - for dummies!!! Reply with quote
Eko wrote:

1.) enable SNMP on your router

Okay, Dummy here! How do you turn on SNMP on my WRT54GS, DDWRT V23 ??????

I'd like to give it a try!

OKay - I found it- 3/4 of the way down Administration - Services page (Dummy!)
[/b]
Got it running now, but not sure what it is telling me. I'm using Windoze Task Manager to monitor my own traffic, and running Traffic Grapher.

It seems to correlate with my own traffic - but is it seeing other traffic on the other wireless connections? What is the significance of the green line and blue line on the graph?"Help" is no help (okay - I know it's free!!)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 12:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
If you set it up like the 'howto' told you to, the blue line will be your downstream (download), and the green will be your upstream.

About the traffic, the interface you are monitoring on the router, is it's WAN interface, so it's all the traffic that comes in and goes to 'the internet', roughly said. As you can imagine, it will also display traffic coming and going to other clients on your network.
WirelessOverSand
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 4:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
That's what I thought. Looks good but seems to have generated a further question . . .

1) Now, my traffic on my own wireless interface shows (when I go to a good source of data, like U-Tube) sites there downloading at pretty much the maximum for my WAN link (as shown by Windows Task Manager), however the traffic on the WAN is very erratic and a lot slower (as shown on Traffic Grapher)

Can anyone explain why this is? (my WiFi signal is good, and set for 11Mb, WAN download is/should be 256Kb) - and I am monitoring KBits (not bytes) in both cases. Puzzling!
(I am on a satellite internet connection, though I can't see that can be relevant)

2) And is there anywhere that I can get the OIDs for the wireless port on the router (WRT54GS, firmware v.23 SP2 special)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 7:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
WirelessOverSand wrote:

2) And is there anywhere that I can get the OIDs for the wireless port on the router (WRT54GS, firmware v.23 SP2 special)

Its eth1, hence it's .6
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 5
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: