Posted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:07 Post subject: DD-WRT firmware for Netgear 614L launched
myopenrouter has launched the dd-wrt firmware for wgr614. This release is based on the firmeare crerated by Eko with some additional scripts to set netgear specific nvram variables. Let's try this out....
whithout constructive input, help of the vendor or a working sample on one of you dev´s desk it takes some time to support a new device.
the porting process is something for experienced users or guys how dont care. so dont paint it black. you were warned.
I could send you a router if that is all you need to build for it. I didn't mean any disrespect however I'm tired of trying to get a firmware that works on this thing. The only people who know how to do it wont tell me how they did it (or just don't care enough to share) and so I'm becoming quite frustrated. I would build for it myself but everyone keeps leaving out the key ingredients to that special sauce. Late...
Posted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 7:22 Post subject: WGR614L My Opentrouter version
From the myopenrouter community, we appreciate your support on making the initial version for the WGR614L and would be happy if this router can be supported by the mainline dd-wrt tree.
WGR614L is available in europe now and I could try to arrange shipping a router if I know where to send that version.
I hacked eko's firmware (only addded couple of scripts in the rootfs (these are attached below to do a better detection from the factory default condition).
The primary points to note are:
1. The flash layout in WGR614L is different (besides being a serial flash). The last block of the flash is the nvram and the block before that is board-data, that has the mac addresses etc.
2. The firmware format that is accepted by the newer versions needs a lzma compressed kernel in the trx image, and the additional netgear chk header.
3. The main issue in dd-wrt with later versions including (v24 release) is that it does not detect the serial flash - although the kernel seems to include serial flash support.
Again we would be happy to support your efforts and would like to see WGR614L support included into the dd-wrt releases. Let us know what information you need.
These are the files that are modified to make the fw-v24-9281 sf builds to work on netgear wgr614l default settings
Did try out this but not detecting the serial flash well.
At least three fixes needed:
Interestingly: If you check the logs you can see
This version does detect the serial flash after flashing it the first time usuing Netgear's Router Upgrqade page
After the first start, it reboots immediately and in this next start it cannot detect the serial flash.
But after that if fails to detect the flash. Possibly we need to improve the detection.
The other issues is flash layout - that is causing problem with the European version of the firmware.
The checksums of the images are written at Flash offset 0x0038FFF8 and is checked by the boot loader.
The Flash blocks
1. 0x00380000 to 0x00390000 should be reseverd for aving the checksums that is checked by the boot loader.
2. 0x003e0000 - 0x003f0000 should be reserved for board-data (mac addresses, HW id).
3. 0x003f0000 - 0x00400000 - is the usual nvram.
C.The other modification required are,
the loader should be lzma compressed and should start at address 0x80001400 (and not 0x80001000). A small patch in the head.S solves this prblem of loading in EU version of the router - but since it courrupts the checksum it fails to boot.