READ THIS BEFORE YOU POST!!! - The correct way to get help!

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
ro-maniak
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 8:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
Matthiaz wrote:
dicksons wrote:
If we're going to impose standards on the questions people are allowed to ask , then let's also have a standard for people ANSWERING [or attempting to answer] questions !!

If you had known the old forum, you would not be this concerned. There were a dozen doublicate threads, which all asked the same questions. It is even starting to occur here again.

The fact is that nobody searches! And the wiki seems to be unknown, too! I guess it is more convinient to register (1 min), open a new thread (maybe 3 mins) and drink a couple of beers (maybe 2 hrs). Then come back here, *bump* your thread, and have a couple more beers... Confused

BTW: i do not disagree with the beers in between... Wink

Quite right!

Also I think that in general, the answers given are not too bad. Mostly people get real help, not only "Well, mine works fine that way so go FYS..." Wink

DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 20:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
BrainSlayer, could you make this one sticky please?

Or don't you want to do that? Rolling Eyes Embarassed

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 23:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
This site gives an excellent guide on how to ask questions the "smart" way.

http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

Great reading!

DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 1:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
The "How to ask questions the smart way" is something more people should read!

I get sick and tired of people who post incredibly vague questions, then expect instant and insightful answers. Yes, I might have a lot of answers for Joe N00b, but consider this:

Unlike my real job I don't get paid for answering questions. So on a hobby forum am I going to:

1) Be anxious to play 20 questions with Joe to tease out the information?
2) Or am I just going to pass right by poorly worded questions?

I see no reason to be anything less than direct about this. This is not a matter of the old-farts being rude, it is all about not wasting my time. If N00b thinks it's rude to have their question ignored, and starts *bumping* a thread and demanding answers they need to check their original question carefully instead.
oldhat
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 0:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
As as been mentioned before:

1) the wiki is not that geat and

2) so why doesn't somebody make it better.

I think most of the very enthusiastic folks are also the noob folks, and that's not coincidental to this project.

If only there were a way to team the enthusiastic beginners who are good writers but lousy techs with the complacent experts who have no time/patience to write about obvious drivel...like the damn default login info!
isabucket
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 22:02    Post subject: DD-WRT is the best Reply with quote
Just a thank you to all the people involved in this project. I am on my fifth router and this is the first time that I have actually needed to ask help. Most times I have found answers in the wiki or forums. Thank you everyone.
mountainfreak
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 1:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
Forum searches in php2bb have always been bad. Search from google and you'll find millions of complaints just how bad it is. Example: I search for all words say "wrt54gl antennae" for posts not topics and get 14 results. BUT when I simply read I find more like 100 at least that have both words. Searching is horrible and probably always will be with php2bb. The wiki does need updating but mostly reliable. For the forums try only one word... then read the entire topic. I hate to do that as I do not have time for that at all. At least someday I hope to see google search integrated into php2bb but for now we'll have to brute force for answers. Search is of little if any use in php2bb. All in all it's great, just the searching sucks. For some reason I get better results from google(on linuxquestions.org) than linuxquestions.org php2bb itself. Go figure. Maybe somewhere in there is a lesson for newbs. I personally hate php2bb but hey I've only had to use it not administer it. I'm sure there's reasons(excessive mysql queries or something) that prevent good searches. Justa thought from an old grumpy man.
mountainfreak
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 2:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
anotherwords in php2bb do NOT try search, it sucks beyond anything I have ever seen for searching. No rewards or benefits for php2bb other than booting current subscribers/possibly(on a very primitive level) hackers. Other than that it bites for reality circumstances. I recommend geeklog for the frontend with the basic bbs plugin for the background forums. Works waaaaay better for searches. Also very easlily integrates with google via very basic plugins. Much betterr alternative for such expansive topics/posts(than a totally disabled php2bb). Old man grumbling again.
Qapla
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 22:17    Post subject: Just a thought ... Reply with quote
When I first found this site ... I needed help.

1)I looked at the Wiki
2)I tried to research my question
3)I joined and posted (I tried to be specific and concise at the same time)

Within a short time, I had answers.

I had another question and posted ... I got told that it had already been answered and was given a link by a well meaning poster. I checked that thread. Though the poster might have thought so ... to me ... MY question was not answered in the other post.

However, in addition to the rebuke, my question did get discussed.

Thanks for all the help.

I can see why research should be done, but just because one question looks similar to another one, don't jump to the conclusion that the poster did NOT research the question before posting ... It is possible that the question was not answered to the satisfaction of the one who needs the information.

I have noticed that, at times, the "chat" aspect of the forum tends to send a thread off subject so far that the actual question never does get answered ... but it was asked (again)

I have also noticed that some of the answers are just as vague and useless as some of the questions.

I guess what I am trying to say is ...

If you have a question, ask it.
If you have an answer, state it.
If you have something to add, add it.
If you have something amusing to say, say it.
If you are just going to rant, abuse or waste others time (be it by question or answer)keep it to yourself!

BTW - proof reading your post would be a nice touch - that is one of the reasons there is a "Preview" button.

Qapla!
steve0
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
I thought that maybe it was a good idea to make this sticky....
vraptor
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 23:16    Post subject: re: poor phpbb search function, use google instead Reply with quote
Since phpbb's search function is not that great, I've resorted to using google instead on the boards I frequent that use it:

Code:
site:dd-wrt.com "search phrase"

You can add other google advanced search methods in there as well.

Hopefully this will help someone track down an answer without asking yet another duplicate question.

=V=
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 22:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
Matthiaz wrote:

It is even starting to occur here again.

The fact is that nobody searches! And the wiki seems to be unknown, too! I guess it is more convinient to register (1 min), open a new thread (maybe 3 mins) and drink a couple of beers (maybe 2 hrs). Then come back here, *bump* your thread, and have a couple more beers... Confused

I'm just bumping this.

Perhaps people, when they sign on, should be forced to go to the wiki before they can proceed....like those user agreements you have to go to the bottom of before you can install.
LLB
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 22:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
This is a great example of how notto get help!

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=33979
Razz
redhawk0
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 23:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
LLB wrote:
This is a great example of how notto get help!

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=33979
Razz

Ahhhh Yes...GeeTek...he was always good for a few laughs...I miss him around here.....{ Poof )

GREAT example of what not to do.

redhawk

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 1:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
I love this part...re-post in caps when you don't get a response within 30 minutes:

righteousman1234 wrote:
PLZ HELP ME, I NEED HELP FAST, IM NEW TO ALL THIS DD-WRT STUFF.

Laughing Razz Laughing
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 2 of 3
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: