Can anyone give me an answer re QOS?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom Customer Downloads & Updates
MikeP lowman
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 6:33    Post subject: Can anyone give me an answer re QOS? Reply with quote
I paid 20 euros yesterday for v23 sp2 / v24 special, specifically because I need to be able to limit the bandwidth of some wireless users in my network. I had previously been using v24.

The QOS simply does not seem to work. The only kind of filtering that seems to work is the Wireless MAC exclusion list.

My own PC is connected to Lan port 1 and even filtering the speed down to 256k on that doesn't appear to work.

Now, I do not have the router set up with a modem going into the wan port. I have a BT homehub, which handles the ppoe, connected via lan port 2 and then have the ip address of that 192.168.1.254 entered as my gateway and local ip. Could that be the cause? I do have a dedicated dsl modem arriving in a day or two which I'll be switching over to.

Also, I'm a little confused. In the QOS you have the option of having it apply to WAN or LAN/WLAN. I think I understand that with WAN, only internet access would be throttled and netwerk traffic unaffected. However, with Lan//WLAN, does that mean only network traffic is affected or does that also affect internet speed because, I assume, that is travelling over the network too?

I'm really beginning to bang my head against the wall.
I also have the v24 special but from what I've read, QOS has never been working in that.
If anyone can guide me through getting this working I'd be very greatful indeed.
Thanks
Sponsor
Sash
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 7:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
again:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=32069

isnt hard to understand Exclamation

&
RTFM/STFW
&
Throw some buzzwords into the WIKI search Exclamation

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 7:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
Shame being a 'guru' doesn't mean actually taking time to help,. eh?

Pointing to a two year old thread which I have already said that I have read doesn't help much. You said it is fixed in the next release back in Sept 2006.

I am saying it isn't working in the latest release that I was given to download from the shop 'yesterday'

I 'do' understand that the default bandwidth limit is the speed that all clients will connect at and that the mac list should list mac addresses of clients who can connect at a 'higher' speed but it is not working. Nor by IP address. Nor by timed access. Nor URL filtering nor keyword filtering. This does not work in v24 special, downloaded yesterday.

I'll play around with it some more when the modem arrives.
MikeP lowman
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sorry Sash, I totally misread. For some reason I took your join date as the date of your post in the other thread so please accept my apologies for my bad tempered sarcasm in my reply. All I can say in my defenc is that I am a grumpy git when things don't work like they are supposed to. :-)

I don't suppose you have any idea when the next release with it fixed is likely to appear do you?
RhinoFX
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 17:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yes Sash to be honest with you its very hard to understand. Having a "Novice" in front of our names means we might ask simple questions and having a "Guru" in front of your name means you have to enlighten us with your knowledge and wisdom rather than to make fun of us Exclamation
But what is difficult for me to understand is that how you can sell a product which is broken and is not working without even leaving a note. If I understand correctly the Major difference between the Standart and Special version is the QOS and without it its not that special anymore Shocked
I purchased the V24 few days ago and spend hours trying to set it up without any success. Of course it was not my fault but I did not knew that at that time and so I wasted hours and hours of my time trying to put it to work by installing different firmwares and changing the values. Now I am just waiting for the new release Wink
Having said that I have to admit that I am a great fan of DD-WRT.
shaad
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 17:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
Me too I am waiting for the next release btw I have reported the matter twice but not a single reply in my mailbox..but DD-WRT is great indeed:) Sad
shaad
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 17:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
Me too I am waiting for the next release btw I have reported the matter twice but not a single reply in my mailbox Sad ..but DD-WRT is great indeed:)
Sash
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 19:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
its all writtten in the post...

the problem is known and fixed

it can be tested in the next testrelease.

no workaround in the meantime Exclamation

&
RTFM/STFW
&

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 12:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
So basically what you are saying is thanks for the 20 euros suckers, now you can wait till we release the working version of the broken software you just paid for.

Gee thanks. That's comforting when you've just spent 20 euros on software that does the same as the free version.

If it's fixed then it should be released asap for those who have paid for it already surely.
MikeP lowman
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 15:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
I should qualify the above by saying that I know BS and the guys do an amazing job coming up with the firmware and I'm not slating them in any way but the disainful attitude towards people who have already paid got right on my mammaries.

Anyway have reflashed with v23 special and, apart from the cakky looking interface (web gui doesn't seem to work when I enable i tand reboot) everything else is working like a dream once you understand the settings,

Bandwidth limiting by mac adress working.
Timed access by mac address restrictions working
P2P blocking by mac address working

Roll on a working version of v24 so upload limits can be imposed as well as download.

Keep up the good work guys
Sash
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 17:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
you bought "DD-WRT v23 SP2 / V24 Spezial" not the v24. so from my point of view if something is brocken you have the "right" to change to the working fw. i your case v23.

we are humans and because of this we´re doing mistakes and this is also true for coding.

&
RTFM/STFW
&

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 18:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
Up for you Sash Very Happy
MikeP lowman
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 20:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
Fair point Sash and I, along with everyone else, do appreciate all the hard work that goes into dd-wrt by the team.

Now I'll shut up and wiat patiently for the v24 release. Smile
RhinoFX
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 22:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sash wrote:
you bought "DD-WRT v23 SP2 / V24 Spezial" not the v24. so from my point of view if something is brocken you have the "right" to change to the working fw. i your case v23.

we are humans and because of this we´re doing mistakes and this is also true for coding.

I wish I could switch to V.23 but my router is not supported by this version and therefore I don't have the "CHOICE" to "CHANGE" Exclamation
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom Customer Downloads & Updates All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: