wrt600n successful but...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28 ... 65, 66, 67  Next
jrose78
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
I am still happy with this firmware and will run it in 20 channel rather then on linksys with 40 . If the driver is not public domain than can you buy it? Maybe you should offer the 40 in the version you sell. I would buy it no question about that! So the question for brainslayer is can you purchase the driver to enable 40mhz wide?
Sponsor
psylux
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 14:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
So you are thinking there secretly is a 40mhz version he's holding out on for extra cash?
jmh9072
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 16:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
I can assure you that is not the case, nor should it be.
Se7en is Darker...
jrose78
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 16:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
umm you took that all wrong. The driver is not public domain from my understanding (em I wrong) .. If its not public domain the only option is to create your own driver or maybe buy rights to the driver. I would not expect dd-wrt to buy something to make it free. Yes the firmware is public domain because of the GPL but not the driver. comments? Think about it if linksys made public the driver for 40mhz don't ya think we would have 40mhz available! So comments about a secret driver are just put out there to stir up trouble.
jmh9072
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 16:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well, Linksys released the binary form of the driver, as they have in previous releases. I guess it's just been difficult to integrate it into dd-wrt.
Se7en is Darker...
lceron
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 17:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
hello everyone, i have not kept an eye on the progress with this router. can you update me on the progress? eg what works/doesn't work?
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 5:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hey guys, just a quick question:

How do you tell the difference between the WRT600N and the WRT600N v1.1 models? Is there any distinction on the box?

Are the power light blinking problems fixed yet in any of the builds?

Thanks guys!
jmh9072
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 5:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
CatalystZero wrote:

How do you tell the difference between the WRT600N and the WRT600N v1.1 models? Is there any distinction on the box?

Thanks guys!

No, there's not. Although, manufacturing on the v1 models ceased a long time ago, so there's almost no chance that you'll get one. At this point, it doesn't matter, though. The trailer tool provided us with a way to flash the v1.1 and the devs fixed the switch issue. Also, the LEDs are not working yet. From what I've gathered in the Linksys source, the LED is GPIO 2, but I can't figure out why the gpio tool in dd-wrt won't make it stable. I'll keep trying, though.

lceron, everything works except for wide channels, jumbo frames, and LEDs. USB works if you follow the instructions here.

Se7en is Darker...
lceron
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 5:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
thank you for your words...
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 6:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
jmh9072 wrote:
CatalystZero wrote:

Thanks guys!

No, there's not. Although, manufacturing on the v1 models ceased a long time ago, so there's almost no chance that you'll get one. At this point, it doesn't matter, though. The trailer tool provided us with a way to flash the v1.1 and the devs fixed the switch issue. Also, the LEDs are not working yet. From what I've gathered in the Linksys source, the LED is GPIO 2, but I can't figure out why the gpio tool in dd-wrt won't make it stable. I'll keep trying, though.

lceron, everything works except for wide channels, jumbo frames, and LEDs. USB works if you follow the instructions here.

:(

I'm thinking of upgrading from a WRT310N. Mainly use it for LAN ports (wired for gaming consoles) and wireless B&G.

I like the 310N, but the dual antennas (600N) apparently kick major ass in coverage. Should I bite, even with the power light flashing?

Anything else maybe I should worry about if I'm just using it for wired gaming and wireless B&G?

(PS - Thanks for the reply) Smile
jmh9072
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 6:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
CatalystZero wrote:

I'm thinking of upgrading from a WRT310N. Mainly use it for LAN ports (wired for gaming consoles) and wireless B&G.

I like the 310N, but the dual antennas (600N) apparently kick major ass in coverage. Should I bite, even with the power light flashing?

Anything else maybe I should worry about if I'm just using it for wired gaming and wireless B&G?

I'm not sure if the 802.11g coverage is any better. I haven't tested that at all, so I can't really say. Perhaps someone else can fill you in. Although, you'll probably be upgrading your other devices to 802.11n eventually, and the multiple antennas will definitely help with that.

As for the flashing power light, why would that deter you? It has no effect on anything else, and will be fixed eventually.

And for gaming, just remember to turn on uPnP and you should be fine.

EDIT: The WRT310N doesn't have "real" antennas. That may have an impact on the range, but I don't really know. However, if you're not getting as much range or throughput as you'd like, try the WRT600N out. If it doesn't help, you can usually take it back to wherever you bought it within a certain timeframe. Just remember to reflash it back to stock firmware first.

Se7en is Darker...
CatalystZero
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 7:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
jmh9072 wrote:
CatalystZero wrote:

I'm not sure if the 802.11g coverage is any better. I haven't tested that at all, so I can't really say. Perhaps someone else can fill you in. Although, you'll probably be upgrading your other devices to 802.11n eventually, and the multiple antennas will definitely help with that.

As for the flashing power light, why would that deter you? It has no effect on anything else, and will be fixed eventually.

And for gaming, just remember to turn on uPnP and you should be fine.

EDIT: The WRT310N doesn't have "real" antennas. That may have an impact on the range, but I don't really know. However, if you're not getting as much range or throughput as you'd like, try the WRT600N out. If it doesn't help, you can usually take it back to wherever you bought it within a certain timeframe. Just remember to reflash it back to stock firmware first.

Thanks a lot, I'm just a perfectionist in general and a flashing power light doesn't bug me that much. :)

Definitely going to jump for the 600N. If I'm upgrading to standard do I flash the mini build first or just flash straight to standard?
jmh9072
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 7:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
CatalystZero wrote:

Thanks a lot, I'm just a perfectionist in general and a flashing power light doesn't bug me that much. :)

Definitely going to jump for the 600N. If I'm upgrading to standard do I flash the mini build first or just flash straight to standard?

No problem. :)

You don't need to flash the mini first; just flash a trailed version of the latest mega build. Since there isn't one in the downloads section, use the one attached to this post.

dd-wrt.v24-9774_NEWD_mega_wrt600n.bin
 Description:
Trailed version of dd-wrt.v24-9744_NEWD_mega.bin for flashing over Linksys firmware or for TFTPing on the Linksys WRT600N v1.1. This file's md5sum is af2aaa6e93b519bda8f97b36f4e3c21a.

Download
 Filename:  dd-wrt.v24-9774_NEWD_mega_wrt600n.bin
 Filesize:  5.1 MB
 Downloaded:  1880 Time(s)

Se7en is Darker...

Last edited by jmh9072 on Mon Jun 30, 2008 21:29; edited 1 time in total
greedj
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 2:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
CatalystZero wrote:

The radio coverage on the WRT-600N 1.1 is fantastic.
I have tested A,B and G (I do not have a N card yet).

It blows away my old WRT54GSv1 with dual external antennas and my WHRG54S with a single external antenna. I have not been able to find any dead spots in my house with the WRT-600N 1.1 unlike my other 2 routers.
CatalystZero
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 9:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
Great news guys!

I successfully installed DD-WRT onto my brand new WRT600N and I've got nothing but praise for this new hardware!

The wireless coverage is AMAZING on this thing and it's blazing fast to boot. Highly recommended over the 310N.

I'm just curious, does anyone have any good IP Filter Settings for this thing? I'm tinkering around and trying different things.

Also, is there any way to cut down on TX and RX errors (wireless)? I looked at the Wiki and it says to set ACK timing down to 0 but I'm wondering if anyone else has got any second opinions.

I don't have many but if I can cut them out completely it would be nice.

Big thanks to everyone who has helped out so far!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28 ... 65, 66, 67  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 27 of 67
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: