v24 final - QoS still broken?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2  Next
ro-maniak
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 23:24    Post subject: v24 final - QoS still broken? Reply with quote
I am sorry to bring this up again... but I could not resist and try once more whether QoS would finally be working in v24 final (in my case DD-WRT v24 ( 05/16/08 ) mini-special).

But no... getting very strange results. Setting upload, download to 90% of measured max, "Default Bandwidth Level" (omg, still no trace of an explanation as to what that might be!!!) to same values (for the record: I tried other values, among which 50000 up and down - no change) and configuring about 15 services. No other users on line at the time.

First of all, some services won't save. You click add, save, same list without newly added service comes up. Can try over and over, will only work with next/other service.

Ok. Bandwidth trials on speedtest.net. Certainly, instead of my ~14300bps without QoS enabled, I get only ~5500 upstream, ping is up from ~38 to ~90, downstream seems ok, capped to value I set. Test repeated many times, consistent results. Shocked

No matter what I try. HTB, HFSC, no difference. MAC prio to my MAC or none at all. Only if I delete all services, speedtest.net gives me the capped bandwidth as set. But then, why use QoS in the first place?!

I must say, I am not very optimistic any more about QoS on dd-wrt ever going to work as intended... or is it just me?! Rolling Eyes

Last edited by ro-maniak on Thu Jun 05, 2008 0:28; edited 1 time in total
Sponsor
ro-maniak
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 21:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
Nobody any views on this?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 22:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well, finaly some resolve. I think Cyberde might be on to something: http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=181178#181178.

I was trying to work remotely using Citrix. Terrible, since someone logged in wirelessly (I am on a LAN port) was hogging all bandwidth. Unworkable. As explained above, I could not tackle it with QoS.

But what does seem to work is this. Enable tcp_vegas as described here: http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=28816&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Then also enable QoS BUT set Uplink (kbps)and Downlink (kbps) to 0 and Default Bandwidth Level also both to 0.

Lastly, I added only citrix as a QoS service and set it to premium (will try adding more later, just needed the fix now).

Now, doing speedtest.net gives me full speed and only a somewhat higher ping than without any QoS or tcp_vegas. But also Citrix is fast and very responsive. Apparently, setting bandwidth limits to 0 disables limiting so that QoS only prioritizes traffic then or something like that...

Also, the load on the router stays much lower and browsing is much more responsive overall. Nice.

YEEHAA! This looks good, finally. Cool (But some very strange settings are needed... would love to get comments on status of QoS/tcp_vegas and all this from BrainSlayer/Eko/any other of the guru's...)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sorry to bump, but yeah I also have problems with QoS in v24 final I was on V23 SP2 but I moved up to the last build of v23 SP3. Anyways, this TCP_Vegas, is it available on the micro versions? It would help to get up to v24 with some form of management working (the graphs are going to be needed as the ISP is implementing caps).
cyberde
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
It seems like tcp_vegas is working better than Qos, leaving the latency aside.

I thought it was possible to set the up/down bandwidth to 0 to be able to use a variable bandwidth. All premium services and unselected services work as they should, but bulk services don't work at all anymore.

So is there a valid explanation why this isn't working, and how to get QoS working with variable bandwidth speeds?

Donater
ro-maniak
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well, for me QoS and tcp_vegas together with all bandwidth settings in QoS 0 or blank is the intermediate fix. If you set all services you really need to be flawless to higher than standard, then at least those will be favoured and p2p etc. will be treated with less priority than those services (as that then falls into the standard class).

But it would be very nice if the developers would get interested in really fixing QoS. I think it's now one of the major downsides to dd-wrt, where it could be a major upside. Well working QoS will be a great benefit to many.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
cyberde wrote:
It seems like tcp_vegas is working better than Qos, leaving the latency aside.

I thought it was possible to set the up/down bandwidth to 0 to be able to use a variable bandwidth. All premium services and unselected services work as they should, but bulk services don't work at all anymore.

So is there a valid explanation why this isn't working, and how to get QoS working with variable bandwidth speeds?

I'll second this...I had Premium services (and unselected) working and Standard services not working at all with this same setup. I'll stick with tcp_vegas for now.

Obviously 0's in Up/down don't work properly. If I give it 17000-down and 4400-up it works fine again.

redhawk

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
Strange... for me 0 does seem to work well...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
Do you combine it with tcp_vegas and which build are you using?

Donater
redhawk0
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
cyberde wrote:
Do you combine it with tcp_vegas and which build are you using?

Yes...I still had tcp_vegas enabled when I reenabled the QoS.

I was also using HFSC for packet scheduler....on the WAN port.

I am running V24-Final 9526 on an HP-G54

[EDIT] - one more thing....I am using Netmask Priority.

redhawk

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
Oh okay, I've tried HTB and HFSC, but neither seem to work with 0 up/down.

I'm not using netmask priority but only services.

Donater
ro-maniak
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 14:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
Me: WAN, HTB, services, no netmask prio, combined with tcp_vegas, bandwidth all to 0.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 15:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
OK - i try v.24 - QOS don't work too - in v.23sp2- work - please fix the problem in v.24
lceron
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 1:47    Post subject: p2p Reply with quote
does anyone have input with these settings and p2p applications/downloads...
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 2:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
Must still is broken,Im running Utorrent on wireless, uploading is fine but just cant surf the net while running Utorrent, only up's at 10kb/s, once I shut that programm off, pages come up no problem
Goto page 1, 2  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: