wrt600n successful but...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 65, 66, 67  Next
hawkeye
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ok, so trying to make some logical sense of this...

Can someone shed some light on what the following variables refer to?
eth0
eth1
eth2
eth3

Also, when assigning ports to a vlan, I see variables like 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 8*, and 16. Is there a way to determine which of these applies to which port on the device, wireless, wan, etc? Also, what is the meaning of the asterisk (*)? On my WRT54GS, I see the asterisk after the 5*, but in the WRT600N, it seems the asterisk is after the 8*.

Trying to figure out what needs to go where. It appears that vlan2 is set as the WAN device when the wan and wireless works, but the LAN is separate, and ZeroPain's findings adds more ports onto vlan2 and then adds vlan2 onto the LAN interface list. Perhaps there is a way to do this to let them talk but yet keep them separate.

Also, does anyone know the difference between the two settings for vlans, i.e. vlan0ports= and port0vlans= ?

WRT600Nv1.1 (DD-WRT v24 Final-Mega) - LAN PORTS DEAD
Sponsor
CaScAdE
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 10:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
hawkeye wrote:
Can someone shed some light on what the following variables refer to?
eth0
eth1
eth2
eth3

Never been around using linux? eth0 is the first ethernet device and so on...
Regarding to a WRT600N v1.1 using v24 final:
eth2: Broadcom BCM4785 10/100/1000 Integrated Controller found at mem 18010000, IRQ 5, node addr 001ee5aaaf2a ( Seems to be the wired one, right Smile )
Since eth0 and eth1 have wireless extension those are the WLAN cards.
eth0 is the 2.4GHz device and eth1 the 5.8GHz. They don't get mentioned that verbose during initialisation but you can watch traffic on them when connected and you will figure it out just like me.

hawkeye wrote:
Also, when assigning ports to a vlan, I see variables like 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 8*, and 16. Is there a way to determine which of these applies to which port on the device, wireless, wan, etc? Also, what is the meaning of the asterisk (*)? On my WRT54GS, I see the asterisk after the 5*, but in the WRT600N, it seems the asterisk is after the 8*.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Switched_Ports
This is somehow what I would have written regarding to it...

Webcam Kiel
hawkeye
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 16:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
Cascade,

I was aware that those were ethernet interfaces, I just did not know how to tell which corresponded with the switch, wireless radios, etc. I am not a big linux guy, but I know a bit here and there.

What did you do to pull up the info on the different interfaces? I still see an eth3 variable in both ZeroPain's settings and in my WRT54GSv2.1 that I am curious about.

One obvious issue is that lan_ifnames= does not include eth2 when initially flashed with DD-WRT. The other changes help to bridge the WAN port to the switch, but don't help us towards the goal of keeping it separate. I will play around with this some this afternoon if I have a chance.

liquidice
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 21:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
hawkeye wrote:
Cascade,

I was aware that those were ethernet interfaces, I just did not know how to tell which corresponded with the switch, wireless radios, etc. I am not a big linux guy, but I know a bit here and there.

What did you do to pull up the info on the different interfaces? I still see an eth3 variable in both ZeroPain's settings and in my WRT54GSv2.1 that I am curious about.

One obvious issue is that lan_ifnames= does not include eth2 when initially flashed with DD-WRT. The other changes help to bridge the WAN port to the switch, but don't help us towards the goal of keeping it separate. I will play around with this some this afternoon if I have a chance.

Sounds like things are getting very close to working! Can't wait to hear the results and hope to see a nice walk-through on how to set things up once its working.

BTW- Pretty sure the command you're looking for to determine which interface is which is "ifconfig". Thats definitely the right command in Solaris and MacOSX and I'm pretty sure thats right in Linux too.

It may not specifically tell you what each interface is, but you maybe able to figure it out based on MAC address.

Nice job guys!
hawkeye
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 22:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ok, after playing around with it some this afternoon I have not gotten any further. Adding eth2 to the lan interfaces did not help. I also played around with the port numberings, wondering if perhaps 4 was for WAN on this unit rather than 0. When I flipped them around I did not get any change in results, LAN still not giving out a DHCP address. I'll keep looking to see if there is anything else that looks promising. Any other ideas anyone?
liquidice
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 22:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
hawkeye wrote:
Ok, after playing around with it some this afternoon I have not gotten any further. Adding eth2 to the lan interfaces did not help. I also played around with the port numberings, wondering if perhaps 4 was for WAN on this unit rather than 0. When I flipped them around I did not get any change in results, LAN still not giving out a DHCP address. I'll keep looking to see if there is anything else that looks promising. Any other ideas anyone?

Been messing around with my Buffalo router which uses DD-WRT v23 SP2, and you may also be able to figure out what is what by running dmesg and looking at the results. For example my router says:

"<0>eth1: Broadcom BCM4318 802.11 Wireless Controller 3.90.39.0" in the output of dmesg.

It doesn't specify what eth0 is however.

I'm about to leave on travel but when I get back I might try loading DD-WRT v24 on my WRT600N to see if I can help -- assuming you guys don't already have it working! Smile
pauldmis
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
I found this info in the reference design:

# Variables used by CFE and run-time OS image
# which may be modified by the run-time OS image
lan_ipaddr=192.168.1.1
lan_netmask=255.255.255.0

# Ethernet switch config (vlan1:LAN, vlan2:WAN)
vlan1ports=0 1 2 3 8*
vlan1hwname=et0
vlan2ports=4 8u

# bootloader/OS glue
landevs=vlan1 wl0 wl1
wandevs=et0
lan_ipaddr=192.168.1.1
lan_netmask=255.255.255.0
ZeroPain
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 20:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
Has anyone been able to find a seriel or jtag port on these machines and if so any help you could provide me in connecting one myself ex: images of where they are would be very helpful i have searched all around and i haven't found anyone who has done this i haven't even seen anyone try maybe i'm just not searching under the right terms but i could use some help if anyone has done this. Smile Thank you in advance
hawkeye
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
pauldmis, interesting on the reference design specs. I see you have them posted here:
http://svn.dd-wrt.com:8000/dd-wrt/ticket/554

This mentions the 4705L reference design. Is this relevant for the chips in the WRT600N? If so, as you note, there are differences in the vlan settings both in the port numbers used, and the fact that it seems in the WRT600Nv1.1, vlan1 does not appear to be used (at least in my default install of DD-WRT. Instead it uses vlan0 and vlan2. If relevant, have you tried those vlan settings yet?

sharo
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
There are some bugfixes in the original linksys source. They are marked with "GEMTEK" - these guys make also a lot of D-link hardware Surprised
I'm trying to compile the dd-wrt sources, but still no success Crying or Very sad
CaScAdE
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just a quick sitenote:

BrainSlayer somehow did it :-)

Proof of it stands on my tv-rack *G*

So be patient...
I guess BS will release an image soon.
This propably will help out the devices that have the "new" switch-chip as long as he gets a cfe backup...

german thread: http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=181021#181021

Webcam Kiel
BrainSlayer
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
it will also be webflashable

here a snipped of the mini version without any trick from linksys webinterface (but this is untested)

dd-wrt.v24_mini_wrt600n.bin
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  dd-wrt.v24_mini_wrt600n.bin
 Filesize:  2.8 MB
 Downloaded:  1096 Time(s)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
K this is just a quick review. I went through the web interface for the firmware upgrade and around ( I think ) 60% it gave me a page can not be displayed and the router still worked with old ip. I could not access the GUI of the router. I waited about 3 minutes and still could not access the router. I then unplugged the router and plugged it back in. It now has DD-WRT on it and the switch works !!!! I am going to try wireless now and other options. A big thank you to BrainSlayer .. You rock!! .

Update: Wireless is ok I can connect on the 5gz at 130 so the 20mhz is ok the 40mz is not there yet but thats a know issue already. No need to check anything else as really the only problem was the new switch hardware in version 1.1 and that is ok. Again Big thanks BrainSlayer!
hawkeye
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 15:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
Awesome!

I will have to try that tonight. I wonder what it was?!?!?! Will have to compare nvram settings to see if they have changed in BrainSlayer's working version.

I will eagerly wait for the standard, mega versions. Maybe before long the 40MHz will be up too. How exciting!

CaScAdE
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 16:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
hawkeye wrote:
I wonder what it was?!?!?!

vlan number-hack Smile Linksys did a dirty job there...
http://svn.dd-wrt.com:8000/dd-wrt/changeset/9562
is the changeset BS made about this.

Webcam Kiel
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 65, 66, 67  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 19 of 67
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: