How to configure a Fon router to get internet off a switch

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
philthy
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 21:54    Post subject: How to configure a Fon router to get internet off a switch Reply with quote
Hello. I'm new to this board. I just flashed my Fon router with the RC7 version of the firmware. Here's my dilemma.

My internet connection is DSL. The DSL modem is upstairs and all the computer in the house run off a wired connection via the Zoom ADSL modem.

I have one connection leading downstairs that is wired. I have several things that need a network connection (i.e. desktop PC and XBOX). I have a switch set up downstairs to split the only network connection to these machines.

I was wondering how would I set up the Fon wireless router to pick up a network connection off the switch.

One last thing is the ADSL modem assigns IP addresses in the 10.x.x.x range. I tried hooking up the Fon to the switch. I could see the wireless signal via a laptop, but was unable to connect to it.
Sponsor
palmboy5
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 22:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
Connect a PC directly into the F*nera and access it's web interface, then change router IP to whatever the IP address your modem is, +1. (ie. if modem IP: 10.4.4.1, then F*n IP: 10.4.4.2) Then try connecting it to the network and accessing it normally at that address you just set it to.

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 23:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
Would I change the F*nera's 196.168.1.1 address?
body-snatch-her
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 0:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
philthy wrote:
Would I change the F*nera's 196.168.1.1 address?

Yes. It sounds like what you are wanting to do is to use the F*N as an "Access Point" rather than as a "Router", since the routing (and other function) is provided elsewhere on your network. General info can be found here: http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Wireless_Access_Point
computmaxer
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 5:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
Also make sure you enable WAN connection as Automatic (DHCP).

Then it should get an IP from the modem/router.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: