FYI....VINT and V24Final

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
redhawk0
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 12:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
harijay wrote:
Hi I am using the May 20th build 9517 VINTage downloaded from

http://www.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/down.php?path=downloads%2Fv24%2FBroadcom%2FBroadcom+Generic%2Fvintage/

Details: DD-WRT v24 (05/20/0Cool std - build 9517M Eko
Router: Linksys WRT54G v 2

When using this build with a WRT54G v2, the wireless seems unstable and prone to random dropoffs to zero strength. This typically happens after 4 to 12 hours (random) of being up. I have posted a separate msg in the forum but figured I will add a reply here

Lets get some more details....did you do a hard reset before and after loading that firmware. I am not seeing this at all on the VINT build on my V2.

What mode are you running? What Tx power are you set to? How far are you trying to Tx/Rx? What are your Wireless>>Basic and Wireless>>Advanced settings?

redhawk

DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 13:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
I did do the recommended 30-30-30 before and after the install. My setup is
Comcast cable modem ---connected to Linksys WRT54G v2 WAN/Internet port: serving as NAT/Firewall/DHCP server/router

Tx Power: 20 (changed to this from default 70)
Mode: Access Point
SPI firewall ON
DHCP -LAN ON
DHCP - wireless ON
Most other numerical settings : Left at Default values , i.e wireless basic and wireless advanced

The router did not seem to be overheating , the network load was minimal , i.e two clients, one connected to LAN and one to wireless when the dropoffs occurred.

I am at work and cannot get to the other information till 6 hrs from now.
I am very committed to get this working . Let me know if you need any more info and thanks for your super prompt reply.
harijay
alee
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 13:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
soulstace wrote:
alee wrote:
I'm planning to switch from NOKAID to STD, because NOKAID doesn't provide any usable JFFS space.

In that case you will have even less JFFS space.. std is larger than nokaid.

There's already ZERO JFFS space with V24 final NOKAID, so NOKAID no longer serves any purpose, which is why I plan to switch to STD, though I don't know whether VINT or non-VINT is likely to work better.
redhawk0
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 13:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
harijay wrote:
I did do the recommended 30-30-30 before and after the install. My setup is
Comcast cable modem ---connected to Linksys WRT54G v2 WAN/Internet port: serving as NAT/Firewall/DHCP server/router

Tx Power: 20 (changed to this from default 70)
Mode: Access Point
SPI firewall ON
DHCP -LAN ON
DHCP - wireless ON
Most other numerical settings : Left at Default values , i.e wireless basic and wireless advanced

The router did not seem to be overheating , the network load was minimal , i.e two clients, one connected to LAN and one to wireless when the dropoffs occurred.

I am at work and cannot get to the other information till 6 hrs from now.
I am very committed to get this working . Let me know if you need any more info and thanks for your super prompt reply.
harijay

Looks pretty normal....I would suggest you bump up the Tx power just a bit....20 is pretty low...try 28-40...see if it helps. You won't overheat the unit even up to 100.

On the Administration tab...set the IP Filters to

Max Ports = 2048 or 4096
TCP/UDP timeouts = 120 each.

Also, make sure the STP function on the Setup>>Basic Setup is Disabled for Comcast.

[EDIT] - also....test other wireless channels...you could be getting interference.....1,6,11 in USA

redhawk

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 14:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
I did try the default 70 and even 100 for Tx power , but the signal loss still occurred randomly. I also did try wireless channel 1,6 and 11 over a few days and the problem seemed to happen in every case in the same random manner.
I dont know what the TCP/UDP timeouts and max port defaults are. But I will get back on whether changing this fixes it.

Just curious, if for some reason the cable-modem internet connection became very slow, I imagining that that would lead to a TCP timeout right? . The reason I say this is because even with my old router a Belkin F5D5230-4 factory firmware-v 2000), I had a lot of issues with "almost dead" internet connections despite full wireless signal on my home network end- Maybe the two are related
TexasFlood
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 14:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
As far as power, I've been using 42mW for years with good results. Also saw random wireless drops seemingly were related to the encryption I was using as it went away after I switched to WPA PSK + AES.
harijay
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 15:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
Interesting...I will try switching the encryption. I am currently using WEP.
Also when I first installed this firmware , I did not setup encryption and it seemed to be up for almost 18hrs straight and I thought everything was fine. the next day I turned on WEP and my problems started.

Since the uptime has been randomly varying from 4 to 12 hours , the first day 18hrs non-WEP uptime I thought was an outlier. But maybe its indicating what the problem is

So here is what I will try:
Change TCP/UDP timeout
Change max ports declaration
Change TX/Rx power to 42 or higher
IMPORTANTLY: change encryption to something other than WEP and try

Any more suggestions?
thanks everyone .
TexasFlood
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 15:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
harijay wrote:
Interesting...I will try switching the encryption. I am currently using WEP.
Also when I first installed this firmware , I did not setup encryption and it seemed to be up for almost 18hrs straight and I thought everything was fine. the next day I turned on WEP and my problems started.

Since the uptime has been randomly varying from 4 to 12 hours , the first day 18hrs non-WEP uptime I thought was an outlier. But maybe its indicating what the problem is

So here is what I will try:
Change TCP/UDP timeout
Change max ports declaration
Change TX/Rx power to 42 or higher
IMPORTANTLY: change encryption to something other than WEP and try

Any more suggestions?
thanks everyone .

Well, in my case, higher than 42mW was not good over the long term. I could go lower, but why? Very Happy . Also, again, in my case, I had problems with both WPA2 and with TKIP encryption, just FYI. Just my experience, YMMV
soulstace
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 22:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
alee wrote:
There's already ZERO JFFS space with V24 final NOKAID, so NOKAID no longer serves any purpose, which is why I plan to switch to STD, though I don't know whether VINT or non-VINT is likely to work better.

I see what you mean now. In that case, Eko made a special build called nokaid_MINUS which you might want to give a try. It should have some usable jffs space.

Quote:
About nokaid_MINUS build:

Primary goal was to make build which will give you some
free jffs space on routers with 4MB flash, while having
most features of nokaid build inside. To keep all inside
was imposible, so I needed to remove:

- all hotspot stuff
- mmc support
- CIFS (samba) support
- support for gigabit routers (DON'T LOAD on routers with Giga switch!)
- some GUI styles
- all help files
- all languages but english

If you need jffs and can live with all this removed, then this is for you.

Eko

VINT: dd-wrt.v24-9517_VINT_nokaid_MINUS.bin
MD5: EBC2C20A3629DB2D344700480FAD5361

NEWD: dd-wrt.v24-9517_NEWD_nokaid_MINUS.bin
MD5: 1D6F8970E7C09B6D50A241728670FDDD
harijay
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 13:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
Last night I changed the wireless security on my Linksys WRT54g v2 running
build 9517 -standard - VINT to WPA personal and AES as suggested by TexasFlood.

The router seems to be up for 10 hrs and counting.

So seemingly just that change in wireless security away from WEP to WPA Personal (PSK) +AES may have solved my random wireless dropoff issues.

I will write in after the weekend when my conclusion will be more statistically relevant.Thanks everyone
alee
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 7:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks. I saw that already, but my main purpose in using JFFS is for a FON hotspot, which the nokaid MINUS build is useless for, which is why I'm going to switch to STD. What I would really like to know is whether VINT or non-VINT would be better on my Belkin F5D7230-4 v1111tt, which has a 4710 and corerev=5.

soulstace wrote:
alee wrote:

I see what you mean now. In that case, Eko made a special build called nokaid_MINUS which you might want to give a try. It should have some usable jffs space.

Quote:
About nokaid_MINUS build:

Primary goal was to make build which will give you some
free jffs space on routers with 4MB flash, while having
most features of nokaid build inside. To keep all inside
was imposible, so I needed to remove:

- all hotspot stuff
- mmc support
- CIFS (samba) support
- support for gigabit routers (DON'T LOAD on routers with Giga switch!)
- some GUI styles
- all help files
- all languages but english

If you need jffs and can live with all this removed, then this is for you.

Eko

VINT: dd-wrt.v24-9517_VINT_nokaid_MINUS.bin
MD5: EBC2C20A3629DB2D344700480FAD5361

NEWD: dd-wrt.v24-9517_NEWD_nokaid_MINUS.bin
MD5: 1D6F8970E7C09B6D50A241728670FDDD
soulstace
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 7:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
Try them out and see which one is best for you.
harijay
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 13:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks TexasFlood, Redhawk and everyone for your replies. The router has been up for almost 1day, 13:30 hours without any wireless problems.
I guess this means that solved the problem.

Thanks everyone

Router: Linksys WRT54G v2
Firmware: DD-WRT v24 (05/20/0Cool std - build 9517M Eko
Problem : RF or wireless drops to zero after 4-12 hrs
Solution: Switched from WEP to WPA-Personal (PSK) + AES
simonmar
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 18:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
So I also have a WRT54G v2, and experienced dropouts with the VINT build. I'm also using WEP. Tx power is 80, all the other wireless settings are default.

Since switching to the NEWD build the wireless is happy again, but sadly virtual SSIDs don't work with NEWD on this hardware it seems (they worked with VINT).

I have to own up - when installing the VINT firmware I think I forgot to do a hard reset after loading the firmware.

Let me know if there's any more info I can provide...
simkiss
Donator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 6:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've got a WRT54Gv1.1 that was runnning DD-WRT v23 SP2 (09/15/06) vpn. I upgraded successfully and thought I would post how.

NVRAM showed that wl0_corerev=4 thus I ned the VINT firmware.

Use version 24
Build 9517
VINT(age drivers)

http://www.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv3/dd-wrt/downloads.html

then "v24"
then "Broadcom"
then "Linksys"
then "WRT54G_v1.1"
(DO NOT D/L the .bin files at this level or they will brick your router. The files here really should be removed !!!)
then "vintage"

Now you are in the correct directory. I don't think the _mega.bin file will flash, because it is too large, although I haven't tried.

Make sure to return your router to FACTORY defaults (or really firmware defaults) for the firmware you are using now *before* flashing up to the v24 firmware.

I flashed up from DD-WRT v23 SP2 (09/15/06) vpn to dd-wrt.v24-9517-VINT_mini.bin

Then I flashed up to dd-wrt.v24-9517-VINT_std.bin

I might have been able to flash directly up to the _std.bin file, but I decided it would be more conservative to flash up to the mini and then up to the std.

So far so good. I did type up all my settings from my earlier version so that I wouldn't screw them up. And the new firmware got an IP from Verizon over FiOS using PPPoE after I changed the Basic Settings, rebooted, then powered it down for 30 seconds, then powered it back on again.

Really loving this V24 firmware !

jas3

~Linksys WRT54Gv6~ DD-WRT v24-sp2 (10/10/09) micro (SVN revision 13064)

~ASUS WL-500G Premium~ DD-WRT v24-sp2 (12/07/09) big (SVN revision 13401M NEWD Eko)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 3 of 11
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: