FYI....VINT and V24Final

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
redhawk0
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 13:25    Post subject: FYI....VINT and V24Final Reply with quote
UPDATE 11/08/08 - lets try to eliminate the confusion. This is a very old thread now. Early NEWD builds were rather problematic on some of the 4712 radios and frankly the VINT ran better...however, this has changed....

Any of the newer builds - after SVN10086....run NEWD on any corerev unit of 5 and higher. This includes the WRT54Gv1.1 - V3 units.

DO NOT RUN NEWD ON V1.0 UNITS....run VINT only. If you run NEWD on a V1.0 you WILL brick it.

When in doubt (even on other make/models of early radios)....check the wl0_corerev variable in the nvram. 5 and higher...run NEWD.... - 4 and lower...run VINT.

redhawk

Last edited by redhawk0 on Thu Sep 24, 2009 18:46; edited 3 times in total
Sponsor
Chucko
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 13:56    Post subject: Re: FYI....VINT and V24Final Reply with quote
redhawk0 wrote:
The VINT builds work best on all the older 4710 and 4712 CPU units....for the list check the wiki under Supported Devices.
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Supported_Devices#Supported_Devices

I'm still confused. I have a WRT54G v2. I can't find the V24-VINT-final builds. Which ones are linked at the WRT54G v2 download page?
darthboy
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 13:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
redhawk0:

if you dont mind, i've already added the information here

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/What_is_DD-WRT%3F

information in the wiki is still a mess...

DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 14:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
Wow, that was quick. Thanks for providing the link in the wiki, darthboy!
redhawk0
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 14:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
darthboy wrote:
redhawk0:

if you dont mind, i've already added the information here

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/What_is_DD-WRT%3F

information in the wiki is still a mess...

No...I don't mind at all....yes the wiki is a mess...it was MOSTLY written around the old V23 builds and some either doesn't apply any longer or is so outdated that it just confuses instead of informs.

Hence...the reason I started this post....in hopes that someone will find it before bricking their router.

Unfortunately...I think it is a bit late....I was a WAPv1 bricked already this morning.

Anyway...currently here is the link to the VINT-Final builds. I would image the devs will link them in to the V24 directory soon.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/down.php?path=downloads%2Fothers%2Feko%2FV24-VINT-FINAL/

[EDIT] - also...it seems that most people loading firmware on routers don't even consult the wiki first...they jump right in and have problems, then post on the forum instead of looking for the answer first in the wiki....so the wiki does have some usefulness....but it is limited in effectiveness due to the laziness of the average hack user.

redhawk

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 14:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
darthboy...I hope you don't mind....I cleaned up the page you linked to. There were some items that were incorrect.

redhawk

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 14:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
redhawk0 wrote:
darthboy...I hope you don't mind....I cleaned up the page you linked to. There were some items that were incorrect.

redhawk

no problem. I've no experience with the 47xx chipsets too. It's better that you add/modify the information regarding those.

DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 17:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
It's funny... my Asus WL-500gP, which apparently is a v1 and has a 4712 processor... is running the non-vintage version just fine. Odd?
redhawk0
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 17:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
switch wrote:
It's funny... my Asus WL-500gP, which apparently is a v1 and has a 4712 processor... is running the non-vintage version just fine. Odd?

It will run the non-vint version....Some units (mostly Linksys)...not all, will run better with VINT.

The VINT was originally built for the 4710 processor units....but it was found that 4712 also ran more stable on VINT....but...the 4712 will run the non-vint builds as well.

Anything that has a corerev =>5 will run the non-vint....corerev=<4 MUST run VINT.

nvram show wl0_corerev

redhawk

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 17:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
redhawk0 wrote:
switch wrote:

It will run the non-vint version....Some units (mostly Linksys)...not all, will run better with VINT.

The VINT was originally built for the 4710 processor units....but it was found that 4712 also ran more stable on VINT....but...the 4712 will run the non-vint builds as well.

Anything that has a corerev =>5 will run the non-vint....corerev=<4 MUST run VINT.

nvram show wl0_corerev

redhawk

I have 4710 with 4318 mini pci wifi card. That is, I have 4710 unit but with corerev=9. Which build do you advice me to run? Question
switch
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 18:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for the crash course :)

Seeing as how my particular processor revision can run either version, which one is recommended? I'm asking again because for these versions, it's not clear.

Also, what do you mean by "more stable" in particular?

Thanks,
--switch
redhawk0
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 19:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
jnjn wrote:

I have 4710 with 4318 mini pci wifi card. That is, I have 4710 unit but with corerev=9. Which build do you advice me to run? Question

According to BrainSlayer if it is corerev 5 or higher...it will run the new builds.

That is directly from him. I can't validate this....I only have 2 - 4710 - corerev=4's (WAPv1, WRTv1)....both of them will ONLY run the VINT builds.

redhawk

Last edited by redhawk0 on Mon May 19, 2008 19:24; edited 1 time in total
redhawk0
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 19:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
switch wrote:
Thanks for the crash course :)

Seeing as how my particular processor revision can run either version, which one is recommended? I'm asking again because for these versions, it's not clear.

Also, what do you mean by "more stable" in particular?

Thanks,
--switch

I ran a lot of wireless time using early VINT and NEWD wireless driver tests on my WRTv2.0 (4712 processor corerev=7)

I would get random drop outs using NEWD builds (same driver used in RC6.2 up to V24-final) Not a single drop out over 72 hour period of time with VINT builds.

I call that pretty stable....IMHO.

[EDIT] - this is OLD news...you can safely run the NEWD builds on corerev=5 and higher without drop-outs.

redhawk

Last edited by redhawk0 on Thu Sep 24, 2009 18:48; edited 1 time in total
TexasFlood
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 21:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
redhawk0 wrote:
switch wrote:

nvram show wl0_corerev

redhawk

I can run non-vintage on my corerev 7 routers. But virtual WLANS functionality worked much better with the VINT than NEWD. This was consistent with the advice I was reading in the forums so been sticking with VINT and having good results.
somms
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 15:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
http://www.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/down.php?path=downloads%2Fv24%2FBroadcom%2FBroadcom+Generic%2Fvintage/

VINT V24 Final drivers are now posted! Wink
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 11
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: