DMZ - Linksys WRT54GS v6 stopped working!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Stoko
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 14:49    Post subject: DMZ - Linksys WRT54GS v6 stopped working! Reply with quote
Hi Guys,

I had perfectly working DMZ on a WRT54GS
I use it to connect to an FTP on a LAN network different then my.

Not sure what happened and why it stopped but if I lets say get a Netgear and DMZ it works perfect for the same FTP server.

WRT54GS was with original firmware I decided to upgrade it to dd-wrt 23 micro to see if that will fix the DMZ but it did not!
Can I run some command to see if the DMZ is really working? I tried port forwarding aswell but to no success.

Please help!

What do I need to provide here so someone can help me

Stoyan
Sponsor
Knasher
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 15:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
The first thing you should do is upgrade it to v24 RC7, most people here are using it and it will make it easier to figure out whats going wrong if we are all on the same version.

I would also give up on using DMZ, its an easy fix but its inadvisable to use it for anything beyond basic testing. Port Forwarding is much more secure and should also decrease the load on your ftp server (which is otherwise receiving every connection that the router might otherwise drop.

Also make sure that the default gateway is setup correctly on your ftp server. Does your ftp server provide logging? If so you should be able to check if the server ever received the ftp connection or if it was blocked by the router.
Stoko
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 10:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi,

Thank you for the reply.

I have upgraded to micro v24 and now I see that the log is moved into the firewall. Unfortunatelly log shows nothing now...

The ftp server is running on OpenVms and it shows that conneciton from Internet was accepted but then the remote computer dont get this message.

I changed the gateway of the ftp server to be the actual router and still same problem...

I really dont know what to do :-)

And not sure what to ask.. I thouht I have done everything. I have DMZ I tried just port forwarding.. but nothing worked..

I actually tried a netgear router that had option RIP and it works. Is there RIP in DD-WRT?

Stoyan
Knasher
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 11:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
Are you using passive or active ftp? If you are using active and you also have a direct internet connection on the client side then port forwarding should be more than enough.

If however you are using passive or your client doesn't have a direct connection then you need to setup port triggering (you could use port forwarding but this is pretty much what port triggering was designed for so you may as well use it). You need to find out what ports your server is using for pasv ftp and then setup the port trigger for these ports.
Stoko
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 11:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi again,

I tried to do all the recomendaitons but they did not work :-(

Basically with another router if I just use DMZ it works perfect.

What I am trying to do again
I have a network lets say (A) of the range of 172.17.0.0
I have another network lets say (B) with 193.120.109.0

On (A) I have a PC 172.17.11.15
On (B) I have a ftp server 193.120.109.100

I want (B) connected to LAN of the Linksys and (A) connected to WAN of the linksys

Linksys DD-WRT settings:
WAN: 172.17.1.222
Gateway: 172.17.1.253 (thats the gateway of(A))

LAN: 193.120.109.20
Gateway: 193.120.109.1 (Gatway of (B))

So I had on the Linksys DMZ Enabaled 193.120.109.100 (the ftp server) and when I ftp 172.17.1.222 I want to connect to 193.120.109.100
Everything was working perfect until it stopped Smile We have not changed anything on the 2 netwroks (well at least I hope we havent)

I am lost!!! Ftp server log shows that there was interent connection from 172.17.11.15 (my laptop) but then my laptop did not receive response in 30sec and timed out... and thats whats happening...

What to do Sad ?

Stoyan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: