Consider installing an Erlang node: It gives lots of freedom

kroyer
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 19:56    Post subject: Consider installing an Erlang node: It gives lots of freedom Reply with quote
I would like to contribute with an idea.
I am a happy user of two linksys routers, which have been upgraded with DD-WRT version 23 sp2 long time ago. One of them acts as a repeater.

Now I propose installing an Erlang node as a part of the next version of DD-WRT. There are some exciting possibilities in it.
Just to be brief: An Erlang-node takes very little space in memory, and the freedom gained is immense.
For instance - you can spawn all kinds of Erlang-processes on the node from everywhere in the world. The only condition is that you know the secret cookie and the ports in use. Both of which could be controlled via the DD-WRT web-interface.
Erlang is fast, created for concurrency and distributed execution, and it can be programmed fault-tolerant. It is very, very exciting.
The first thing you do, once you get your hands on Erlang, is to revitalize all your old desktop computers and install a node in each - to make them work together any way or another.
The simple idea is - create nodes with a common cookie and the distribute problems on them.
I recently bought the new book "Programming Erlang", which is exciting for many reasons. And I am now working to master this language in my spare time.
However, I am definitely not a Linux expert, so I am not able to install it in an embedded device myself.
It should, according to the author, be quite simple to install Erlang in a Debian distribution - just write:

apt-get install Erlang

This means something to all you Linux-people, but not to me. I am stuck with the old Windows XP, and there is no time to learn Linux as well as Erlang.
But I definitely would like to write some Erlang programs and send them to execution in my routers. Just for the fun of it.

Erlang can be downloaded here http://www.erlang.org/download.html

For those, that are a little more curious, Erlang was originally developed by the swedish company Ericsson, who has used it for realtime telecommunication routers. For instance, the GPRS-central for GSM-cellular phones was written in Erlang.
This language is created for a time, when we all will get computers with many cores. But that particular
feature is not relevant with present time DD-WRT routers.

Best regards
Kent
Sponsor
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Contributions Upload All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: