Easy success on WAP54G v2 MDG2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
scorcci
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 15:10    Post subject: thanks. Reply with quote
Thank you very much, I will do all tests and get back with the results.
Sponsor
redhawk0
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 15:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
When my power brick first went out....I used a PC power supply (jumpered out the enable) and used the +5V as my power source until I could get the power brick replaced. The PC power supply was a 35Amp source so it didn't have any problem powering the WRT unit.

I purchased a power brick on Ebay for it. Make sure you get one that is 5V and at least 2Amps.

Again....this 5V is only IF you have a V1 unit. V2's and later used 12V@1Amp. (can use the 12V from the PC power supply also....if you have a V2+ unit)

redhawk

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 7:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
I tried the v24 RC5 micro generic on the WAP54G I have here, and got an error. Maybe I just overlooked it, but what version should I try?
redhawk0
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 13:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
What version WAP do you have?

I have a V1 that runs on the standard build (4M/16M memory)
I believe the same is true for the V2 unit except it is a 200MHz processor instead of the 125MHz that the V1 has.

All V3's are only 2M/8M memory...only a micro build will run on it.

Get a Generic Broadcom build....if in doubt...start with the micro_generic.bin file. If you do have a router with more memory you can always upgrade to mini or std later. (memory size is displayed on the Status page in dd-wrt)

Don't run any builds that end in -535X on a V1 or V2 unit....they can be run on a V3.

hope this isn't too confusing...questions??? just ask.

redhawk

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 4:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
This is all great info. Thank you!!

I was able to "successfully" flash my v3.1, and I am now able to connect to the WAP on dd-wrt SSID (and it works), but I can't find the IP. My WRT54G v24 RC5 router doesn't even see the WAP as a DHCP client. I don't know whether I'll have a Web interface or not, but I guess I have to find the IP first. Any ideas how to do that? Thanks!
schalliol
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 4:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well, ultimately, I was able to find it on 192.168.1.1, though I tried it before. Thanks!
3wsparky
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 12:56    Post subject: 54G Reply with quote
I have 2 WAG54G i notice a much earlier post states they have theres running, is that a typo or will the WAG54G run dd-wrt ?

thought i would ask before I start building a fine wall Very Happy
jdmark
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 15:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
I flashed my WAP54G v2 with dd-wrt v23 sp2 and when I log into the router and try to save any type of setting that I changed it doesn't reload the page at all, just goes blank and the setting that I changed isn't saved. It doesn't matter what I changed, nothing seems to save. I really just wanted DD-WRT for the QoS to throttle my roommate's upstream so they don't bog down the whole LAN.
AirFart
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 16:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
jdmark wrote:
I flashed my WAP54G v2 with dd-wrt v23 sp2 and when I log into the router and try to save any type of setting that I changed it doesn't reload the page at all, just goes blank and the setting that I changed isn't saved. It doesn't matter what I changed, nothing seems to save. I really just wanted DD-WRT for the QoS to throttle my roommate's upstream so they don't bog down the whole LAN.

Close your web browser. The re-open a new one. That will solved the blank page when you hit save/apply

What mode are you running that WAP54G? I am running on Access Point mode. Smile

1xRT-N16 : Router + Optware (TomatoUSB DualWAN)
1xEOC-2611P : Bricked (RMA)
1xWHR-HP-GN : WDS AP @ 23dBm (15962)
2xWHR-HP-G300N : WDS Station @ 21-28dBm (15962)
1xTL-WA5110G : AP @ 26dBm (Stock)
|Free WiFi for all|
jdmark
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 17:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
AirFart wrote:
jdmark wrote:

Close your web browser. The re-open a new one. That will solved the blank page when you hit save/apply

What mode are you running that WAP54G? I am running on Access Point mode. Smile

I feel dumb now. Restarted the browser and now its loading/saving the settings. I'm pretty happy that it works now. I'll have to see what I can do with it after I get home from work.

Hows the weather in Bali?
desaubin
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 19:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
Can I use dd-wrt.v24_micro_generic.bin for my WAP54Gv2 ?
Deer Slayer
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 4:37    Post subject: Thank you for posting this thread, and the firmware!!! Reply with quote
I was trying to flash my WAP54Gv2 with the vintage micro v24, and kept getting the "cannot downgrade firmware" message. So, after getting VERY frustrated, I did a google search for "dd-wrt wap54gv2 downgrade" and this wonderful thread pops up. Before that I had no idea the "secret" webpage existed. Disabled that GARBAGE (probably a response by Linksys to prevent people from doing this). Anyways, all I did was reset it to factory defaults, then update the firmware using the browser gui. Never unplugged it, never pushed the button, no problem. Didn't know about the 30-30-30 rule until after I did it (BTW: the middle 30 IS pointless, but that doesn't matter). Then I had to come back here to figure out the default IP changed. After I got all that sorted out and how to log in, I began the process of figuring out how to configure the dang thing again, and exploring all the new features. The whole reason for the flash was to get a good signal in the garage with my craptop by upping the power to 250mw. I allready had a 9db antenna (little grey 2' omnidirectional outdoor type). So, I get about 5 acres of coverage (I own 30) on my property with a good enough signal to do what I need. I put a heatsink on the 4712 chip, but it didn't really need it. So THANK YOU for posting this thread, and most of all, the great firmware! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

I do have a couple questions about TX power, and life expectancy. Has anybody actually burnt out their AP or router running high power? If so, either link to the thread, or post the specifics. How about distortion/noise issues, anybody actually take a look with a scope, and see what's going on? Even 15' away, I get a solid 54mb connection, and good s/n ratio. I saw a post on another forum where somebody had their Linksys router on a spectrum analyzer, and the output didn't look much different throughout the power range. Final question, anybody actually measured power output? Question
vamshi_ponnam
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 20:21    Post subject: need help to install ddwrt on WAP54G v2 MDG2 Reply with quote
hi iam having wap54g v2 AP i want to install the ddwrt firmware on it so that i can change the mac address to my own

or
i have wgr614 v9 netgear router
i am in uk virgin broadband isp provider installed its own firmware i want to remove that and install ddwrt

can any one help me please!!!!
kairu0
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:25    Post subject: Re: need help to install ddwrt on WAP54G v2 MDG2 Reply with quote
vamshi_ponnam wrote:
hi iam having wap54g v2 AP i want to install the ddwrt firmware on it so that i can change the mac address to my own

I just upgraded 4 wap54g v2 APs to dd-wrt.v24_micro_generic.bin without any issue. And yes, you can change the MAC address for both wired and wireless interfaces.
sprocket87
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 17:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
FYI, I ran into an issue when flashing my WAP54G (v3.1) using the correct build and instructions on the DD-WRT site (and this post). The upload failed with some error about incorrect version (Even though I followed the instructions in this post to the letter). However, I couldn't load the web interface after that! I could still ping the WAP but the web interface would never load.

I thought I had bricked my router and tried (unsuccessfully) to reset & repair it using the wiki instructions. But I came back to it a week later and was able to connect! The only difference was that I was using a different laptop this time. Hmm...

The thing was, when I connected to the web interface, DD-WRT DID actually install, despite the error message. The only issue was the incorrect MAC address, which I cloned to the one on the bottom of the WAP (I cloned WAN and Wireless to the same one, hopefully that doesn't make a difference).

After doing this, I lost ability to open the web interface again. Then it hit me: The reason I couldn't connect (BOTH times) was that the MAC address got changed (first from factory to DD-WRT default, then back to factory). Windows (XP) was trying to connect via HTTP to that IP via the associated MAC address, which was no longer valid, and it timed out. Pings still worked fine.

I checked the arp table (from a command prompt: arp -a) and sure enough, the MAC address for the WAP IP was the wrong one. So I just cleared the arp table cache in XP. From a command line, type: netsh interface ip delete arpcache

Worked like a charm! XP added the new, changed MAC address to the arp table and HTTP traffic (web interface) works just dandy again.

HTH someone in the future...

Jesse
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 2 of 4
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: